Sign in to follow this  
LEGOTrainBuilderSG

[MOC] LEGO KTMB 24 Class Narrow Gauge

Hi everyone, this my first post on Eurobricks and I wanted to share my latest MOC.

The 24 Class runs on the Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand line under the company KTMB. The 24 Class locomotives were built in Japan by Toshiba Electric Co., and were introduced on the KTMB Railway in 1987. The 24 Class pulls both passengers and freight with a top speed of 120km/h. I had a lot of fond memories of this loco pulling the train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) back when I was a kid. 

Here, the LEGO 24 Class locomotive is a hefty 8-studs wide and roughly 50-studs in length. The locomotive is controlled by a PFX brick (sounds and lights) and is powered by a single L-motor. The locomotive runs on the narrow gauge track (4-studs wide) by TrixBrix. The actual locomotive runs on a narrow gauge track (metre gauge track) hence running on the standard LEGO track would be out of scale. 

LEGO KTMB 24 Class Front View

LEGO KTMB 24 Class Top View

LEGO KTMB 24 Class Side View

It was definitely tricky to fit the speaker, PFX module, battery box, lights and L-motor all within the body that has a lot of SNOT techniques. The bogie was another challenging aspect of the build but after many trial and error the loco can finally handle the narrow gauge curves and switches. 

Heres the actual 24 Class and my LEGO 24 Class

Actual 24 Class Vs LEGO 24 Class

I also made a short shunting video. 

At the start of the video, you'll hear the engine start sound followed by directional headlight change. The sound of the horn is of the actual 24 Class horn that was recorded and programmed into the PFX brick. As the 24 Class increases in speed, the engine sound picks up accordingly. The locomotive takes both the curves and switches from TrixBrix with ease.

I have also submitted these photos and YouTube video to the Brick Train Awards under the 'Other Loco' Category. 

Hope you all enjoy the video! 

Edited by LEGOTrainBuilderSG

There's so much to enjoy here! First off, 8-W on 4-stud-track is fantastically ridiculous. Following that the sheer number of accurate details you've crammed in is amazing, and it's topped off perfectly by the sound. Awesome work!

This ist truly outstanding!

Not only does the model look fantastic - you also implemented some ingenious technology. Hope to see more models from you in the future!

That is an amazing build! And welcome to EB Train Tech, you make quite the introduction, hope to see more of your work here in the future.

16 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

There's so much to enjoy here! First off, 8-W on 4-stud-track is fantastically ridiculous. Following that the sheer number of accurate details you've crammed in is amazing, and it's topped off perfectly by the sound. Awesome work!

15 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Not only does the model look fantastic - you also implemented some ingenious technology. Hope to see more models from you in the future!

12 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

That is an amazing build! And welcome to EB Train Tech, you make quite the introduction, hope to see more of your work here in the future.

3 hours ago, mark6399 said:

Awesome model! Great job getting your model so close to the actual loco!

Thank you everyone for the kind compliments. I am so glad you enjoyed the model and the video as much as I did building it. Definitely tricky at first but am really pleased with the way the model looks and runs. 

Am currently working on a shunter, some rolling stock and a small station for the little layout. 

Will definitely update the EB Train Tech forum when I have more updates.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:18 PM, Tenderlok said:

I know this unrelated to my post but how did you make those custom MOC loco signatures at the bottom of your reply? 

4 hours ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

how did you make those custom MOC loco signatures at the bottom of your reply

That's actually quite simple: I just made screenshots of every single model in LDD and combined them to one image. Then I uploaded this image to Bricksafe and embedded it into my signature (Account Settings - Signature).

Excellent MOC. Fantastic attention to details, especially considering it runs on narrow gauge tracks.

Beautiful model. Love the detail. I'm very impressed that it runs on the narrow gauge track!

Great work!

-RailCo

On 7/3/2020 at 5:16 PM, Tenderlok said:

That's actually quite simple: I just made screenshots of every single model in LDD and combined them to one image. Then I uploaded this image to Bricksafe and embedded it into my signature (Account Settings - Signature).

Ahh that's clever. Thank you. 

On 7/3/2020 at 6:36 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Looks just like the real deal.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:49 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Excellent MOC. Fantastic attention to details, especially considering it runs on narrow gauge tracks.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:17 AM, Rail Co said:

Beautiful model. Love the detail. I'm very impressed that it runs on the narrow gauge track!

Great work!

-RailCo

On 7/4/2020 at 4:56 AM, BricksMcgee said:

Good job - looks like the prototype. Nice choice of livery, too!

Thanks everyone! Really glad to see everyone appreciating this behemoth of locomotive running on narrow gauge tracks. Daunting to try at first but seeing the loco on a standard LEGO track looks very weird. 

Edited by LEGOTrainBuilderSG