aeh5040

Pendulum Wave Music Machine 2 (aka the Pangolin) - with explanation

Hi all,

I made a larger (2-octave) version of this, together with a second video explaining how it works:

Edited by aeh5040

Absolutely brilliant as always! I love the way you have arranged the diffs, very clever:)

Fantastic - a musical version of your Synchro Pods! I love these sort of creations - using the real 'technical' aspect of Technic!

I was surprised to see the clutch gears at first because I thought jams would be unlikely, but that any slippage would make keeping the strikers in time a nightmare. But it then occurred to me that you'd probably use them to synchronise the machine in the first place - and you explained that in the second video.

So what sensory version are you going to work on next after visual and audible? :classic: Or are you just working your way up to a full recreation of Babbage's Difference Engine? :laugh:

Thanks!  A babbage difference engine has been done:

I'd love to replicate that, but I don't know how!

A harmonic analyser might be fun (and the differential mechanism here could be part of it...)

Edited by aeh5040

The harmonic analyzer is what I want to tackle next. I find it incredibly clever - the result of Michelson understanding Fourier analysis very well. The videos are super detailed, but I did think that one part of the machine relied on amplifying very fine movements, which would be an issue with LEGO, I think.

Babbage's difference machine I would love to replicate, but I find it very daunting.

@aeh5040What about a workshop thread where you collect all your masterpieces? sometimes brilliant inventions just get lost in the background noise of the contributions. Along with the inspiration that a work often conveys only as a whole.

...Yes you can argue to use the search function i know. https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/profile/14345-aeh5040/&do=content&type=forums_topic&change_section=1 :wink:

I would answer: The individual is not just the sum of its parts.

By the way I love the Pangolin it reminds me of the work of Steve Reich.

Best wishes :laugh:

22 hours ago, pow said:

@aeh5040What about a workshop thread where you collect all your masterpieces? sometimes brilliant inventions just get lost in the background noise of the contributions. Along with the inspiration that a work often conveys only as a whole.

Thank you for the kind remarks and the suggestion. I'll look into that. Sometimes I find I miss things when they are in such a thread, though, because I don't realise there is a new model. Perhaps the solution is to have a general thread and also one for each model, but perhaps that is too much duplication?

Edited by aeh5040