Lasse D

[MMM] Bouncy Castle from the game Theme Park

Allow me to finally introduce a project that has been a source of many sleepless nights, frighteningly advanced hair loss, and multiple failures since 2016:

Moving Minifig Machine

Like GBC, "MMM" consists of modules. The module in this thread is a Mindstorms-powered fun fair ride where the minifigs move in, jump, and then leave. See the short introduction here:

The idea was born at a LEGO event. The audience always loves GBC, but most builders prefer to build city layouts. MMM is an attempt at combining the movement from GBC with minifig-scaled buildings.

99_layout1.jpg

Modules are based on raised base plates. This allows for the conveyors and mechanical components (such as a Mindstorms NXT as seen in this module).

The front wall allows the builder to showcase the name of the module. It can also be left blank as seen in the adjacent modules, or you can tape printouts onto them with some interesting information of the modules. See building instructions for standard modules here: https://brickhub.org/i/themes.php?theme=MMM

96_bouncy_castle.jpg

The design of this module is based on the classic game Theme Park by Bullfrog which was released in 1994. The "graphics" of the modules I have built are form the 1995 port to the Playstation. This screenshot is from the DOS version:

Themepark.png

You can see a very fancy version of the in-game model in the cut scene at 8:17 of this video:

97_bouncy_castle.jpg

The module uses a single L-motor for the two tracks. It uses a mechanical "diode" to make the outer track go in a single direction, while the other can change direction. I show it in detail in this update:

An NXT motor is used to raise and lower the jumping pillow, while the walls move in and out. Finally, an M-motor is hidden in the "pillow" to move the tracks on it that connect with the outer track at an angle which allows for entry and exit that works fairly reliably. You can see me testing it in this video:

I have tried a variety of designs for the pillow which would allow it to be built in red. Designs include rolling cylinders and free-spinning wheels. All of these attempts failed horribly, and I decided on compromising with a gray pillow.

98_bouncy_castle.jpg

I know it is not much, but I hope that you can see the idea behind this. The project might fail - it has done so many times - but I also think it has potential. I have more modules planned and hope that you will enjoy the presentation of them. And if you think that I'm exaggerating when I say 2016, I must begrudgingly say that it is true. Here is an unlisted video of the layout as it were in 2016. The modules have since then been redesigned:

It's a unique idea, nicely executed and packed in the theme adorably. :sweet: You've got no reason not to be proud about this project. :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words. After having tested the module many times, I have made a round of improvements and finally given the module a proper presentation video:

In fact, I might have tested it a bit too much - the L-motor used for the outer tracks is slowing down and becoming hard to turn!

The most important update is in the outer track, where I have made more space and added wedged in order to ensure that people exit the module without getting stuck on the tracks:

92_tracks_v3.jpg

This makes the module operate much more smoothly, and the small middle track no longer gets stuck.

The height of the base has been lowered a plate and I have replaced green plates with tiles and slopes. This makes the module fit in with all of the other modules of the layout:

91_back_side_v3.jpg

The ticket booth has been updated so that it is easier to see the attendant inside:

90_sign_bouncy_castle_v3.jpg

The MMM layout has grown since the last time:

96_layout_2022_03_05.jpg

It now consists of 4 rides, 6 shops, and 4 features. I understand that it is still far from big and complex enough to grab attention, Still. At one point it might happen that someone else wants to join in. Should that become the case, then the standard is documented here: https://c-mt.dk/mmm/ with lots of building instructions to get started.

Okay this is pretty unique and kind of cool!

But I can't see this achieving the same mesmerizing effects a GBC modules can produce...

Yeah, there is a lot to catch up to with GBC being 20 or some years old - MMM has first really started expanding the last year. But hopefully it will leave people with a new and unique experience.

And even more hopefully, people like @Frequenzberater will jump on board and join. It feels like I'm on the tipping point of getting builders from Bricking Bavaria in Germany to join in. Let's see what the future holds :)