Hey guys, so I'm trying to find a relatively cheap gamepad that works with the BrickController 2 app. I'm planning on making some MOCs with Control+ in the coming months but AFAIK proper servo control is only really possible with BrickController 2 at the moment (correct me if I'm wrong, though). I can also see this being advantageous for SBrick as I'd have a physical remote control. The problem is, I don't think I have a gamepad that works with the app (I have an Xbox controller; I tried that with the app and nothing shows up - I'm guessing Xbox controllers aren't compatible considering I've never seen anyone use it to control their MOCs).

For those of you who have used BrickController 2, what gamepad do you use? I've seen quite a few MOCers use a PS4 gamepad, but the price is a bit high imo (~$60). I'm not really into gaming either, so to spend $60 on a gamepad just to control my MOCs doesn't really seem worth it to me.

I use an iOS device (iPhone X), btw.

Thank you guys!

Edited by JLiu15
specified device I use

You didn't specify if you're using an Android or iOS device. For Android i have a an ipega PG-9025 controller bought on Amazon 2 years ago for ~ 20 EUR. For iOS I have a Steelseries Nimbus bought on apple.com, that was ~50 EUR but was guaranteed to work with iOS devices.

I bought a used ps3 controller to use with my android phone... but the battery is dead and I didn't realise it needs a specific charge cable. So I'll let you know if that works, when it arrives :D

Edited by amorti

20 minutes ago, amorti said:

specific charge cable

Mini USB, same as your EV3 has if you own it.

44 minutes ago, kbalage said:

specify if you're using an Android or iOS device

Mad Catz equipment works with everything.
It was the ultimate top in gamecontrolling till Logitech ruined it.

Just now, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Mini USB, same as your EV3 has if you own it.

Sadly I have nothing which takes that plug, no EV3.

Thank you guys for your suggestions!

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

You didn't specify if you're using an Android or iOS device.

I use an iOS device. You mentioned Steelseries Nimbus for iOS so I'll take a look at that. Have you tried the ipega with an iOS device? It's the cheaper of the two so if it works with iOS then I'll go with that.

AFAIK it just has to be an Android-enabled gamepad, correct?

2 minutes ago, JLiu15 said:

Have you tried the ipega with an iOS device? It's the cheaper of the two so if it works with iOS then I'll go with that.

This specific model from ipegea only works with Android devices. If you want anything for iOS it has to have the MFI (Made for iPhone/Ipad/etc) label.

3 minutes ago, kbalage said:

If you want anything for iOS it has to have the MFI (Made for iPhone/Ipad/etc) label.

Okay, got it. I saw that @ScT mentioned it earlier too. I'll probably go with the Steelseries then - it looks like it's $50 on Amazon which is cheaper than a PS4 gamepad.

On 6/25/2020 at 3:27 PM, amorti said:

I bought a used ps3 controller to use with my android phone... but the battery is dead and I didn't realise it needs a specific charge cable. So I'll let you know if that works, when it arrives :D

So I found a charge cable. I have no idea what it came from but there it was hiding in a moving box since last time we moved. I even got the controller to charge from my PC.

Turns out you either need a cable to connect it to the phone, or to root your Android device if you want to connect via Bluetooth.

Do I want to root my phone? I have no idea.

Will a PS4 controller connect easily?

On 6/28/2020 at 10:05 AM, amorti said:

So I found a charge cable. I have no idea what it came from but there it was hiding in a moving box since last time we moved. I even got the controller to charge from my PC.

Turns out you either need a cable to connect it to the phone, or to root your Android device if you want to connect via Bluetooth.

Do I want to root my phone? I have no idea.

Will a PS4 controller connect easily?

I decided that connecting a PS3 pad by wire every time was dumb, and paying 60€ for a PS4 controller that might play nice, was dumb.

I bought one of these, which also holds your phone for you (although you might want to limit that feature to indoors use, e.g. while you're programming the pad/app):

https://www.trust.com/en/product/22258-gxt-590-bosi-bluetooth-wireless-gamepad

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Gaming-22258-Bluetooth-Gamepad/dp/B079G339J9/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=trust+gxt+590&qid=1593426976&sr=8-2

It only claims to work with Android and Windows, so iOS users will have to look elsewhere.

The app is brilliant. The pad is brilliant. I'm pretty excited to drive my models without having to look at my phone at the same time.

Thank you @imurvai - what an excellent app!

Edited by amorti

6 minutes ago, technicbuilder said:

Ps4 controller ,works perfect 

Those cost 60e where the thing I got was 40e, and it has a phone holder built in.

Admittedly the PS4 pad will hold a secondhand value, but I'm happy with my choice.

Cool.

Since you can't spend 60$, I am not sure what to get. I got a wireless Xbox controller for Christmas and it is around 60$ on Amazon.

On 6/24/2020 at 7:02 PM, JLiu15 said:

Hey guys, so I'm trying to find a relatively cheap gamepad that works with the BrickController 2 app. I'm planning on making some MOCs with Control+ in the coming months but AFAIK proper servo control is only really possible with BrickController 2 at the moment (correct me if I'm wrong, though). I can also see this being advantageous for SBrick as I'd have a physical remote control. The problem is, I don't think I have a gamepad that works with the app (I have an Xbox controller; I tried that with the app and nothing shows up - I'm guessing Xbox controllers aren't compatible considering I've never seen anyone use it to control their MOCs).

For those of you who have used BrickController 2, what gamepad do you use? I've seen quite a few MOCers use a PS4 gamepad, but the price is a bit high imo (~$60). I'm not really into gaming either, so to spend $60 on a gamepad just to control my MOCs doesn't really seem worth it to me.

Thank you guys!

Cool.

Since you can't spend 60$, I am not sure what to get. I got a wireless Xbox controller for Christmas and it is around 60$ on Amazon.

On 6/24/2020 at 7:02 PM, JLiu15 said:

Thank you guys!

I used it with an Ipad Mini 4 and it works fine with the Xbox controller.