PxChris

Getting my Pirates layout setup

I've been re-arranging my LEGO shelves and displays so that I can have my Pirates sets out on display permanently.

This is my current results:

20200622_15163220200622_15164620200622_151703

My goal is to eventually own all of the 1989-91 sets. The only primary sets (so excluding 6251 & 6255) from the 1989 wave that I'm missing are 6260 and 6270 which will also fit on the shelf once I do have them.

Looks great. Almost similar like mine. Maybe an idea to build it like mine, to save space?

As child it was a dream to get all sets and play all day to hunt for the treasure.

What would be ideal is to find a background large enough to accommodate the entire display.

Perhaps this isn't piratical given you've placed the display next to a window, but a consistent background goes a long way in bringing everything together.

Amazing, made me real happy to see this.

If at all possible I'd go for the background similar to the one on the boxes of the sets from that era for maximum effect.

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

What would be ideal is to find a background large enough to accommodate the entire display.

Perhaps this isn't piratical given you've placed the display next to a window, but a consistent background goes a long way in bringing everything together.

Depending on where you live, you can head to a michaels or hobby lobby and buy those 12’ long wallpapers for backgrounds, I did it for my Xmas villages and boy do they make a difference!!! They have different ones of course like starry night, or sunny skies.  At night time though with the lights off it sticks out!!! Trust me those backgrounds are a life SAVER!!! 

C2A6CCAA-323D-416B-81E4-2328822070BA.jpeg

I agree, having a nice background would go a long ways to help the display. That however is not quite in the cards at this time... My focus right now is on obtaining 6260 and 6270 to "complete" the display (6259 & 6273 are also needed, but are much, much lower on my priority list, I'll only pick them up when I find an absolutely phenomenal deal). I also collect a lot outside of Pirates, so it's always a balance in what I buy. Eventually, I would also like to go about collecting the full Islander sub-theme.

I strongly recommend not putting your display in the direct UV. I'd move it away from the window, or at least to one side or the other. UV is the biggest culprit, aside from nicotine, behind yellowing of bricks and you've got a lot of white there. Leave 'em there and take them back apart in a year and you'll see a difference between surfaces left in the sun and those sheltered in the shade.

Dave

I've been steadily working on updating my Pirates layout. It now includes all of the sets in the 1989-91 range except for 6273 Rock Island Refuge which I just have no room at all to display with the rest.

I'm pretty pleased with the look of the Imperial side! I managed to squeeze 6259 in between 6276 and 6267 and was fairly happy with the end result.

The Pirates side is pretty cramped, mostly due to the size of the Barracuda, but all of the islands do fit over there. I still need to get a blue baseplate cut down to fit in the current gap. After that, I'm not sure exactly what my next step will be. Adding even more minifigs to be sure. I also am planning on displaying The Golden Medallion comic in some way with it.

20200831_14055520200831_140611

On 9/2/2020 at 11:53 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Looks good! :thumbup:

On 9/4/2020 at 4:26 AM, jan kusters said:

I think that is starting to look awesome!

Thank you both!!

These are the new changes from over the weekend:

First, I got a couple more blue baseplates and added them in to cover up the gap. So that looks much better now!

20200907_114032

Next, I took one of my two #6265 Sabre Island sets that I have on each side of Eldorado Fortress and mirrored the build. I'm still not 100% sure how much I like it, but it's growing on me!

20200907_113234

I still need to work on getting more minifigures for the layout, I have a number of extra soldiers, sailors, and pirates in there, but it still feels like I need MORE! Also starting to think what else I might add into the layout. I really don't want to expand this much beyond the original 1989-91 Blue Coat era of Pirates, but I think I might add in #6261 Raft Raiders. I might also add some small era-appropriate custom builds... we shall see!

Edited by PxChris

My latest acquisition came in yesterday and I couldn't be happier!

I managed to get my hands on a very good copy of The Golden Medallion for less than $5 shipped!

20200909_062706

I already had the extra minifigures and accessories in my collection, so I can add this as a complete set to my collection!

I plan on framing it and getting it hung up by my pirates display.

Got The Golden Medallion framed and hung and I'm very happy with how it looks there behind Forbidden Island! 

20200914_151305

Edited by PxChris

13 hours ago, PxChris said:

Got The Golden Medallion framed and hung and I'm very happy with how it looks there behind Forbidden Island! 

Very nice! :pir-thumb: Thank you for sharing!

I've been continually adding to and tweaking my layout over the past few months. I've added quite a few more minifigures (though currently the Pirates definitely outnumber the Bluecoats, so I would like to add more soldiers when I can find some on a decent enough deal). My son feels that the layout needs more dynamic action and I agree with him, so I'll be starting to work on that next. However, I'm pretty pleased in general with how it's all been coming along.

(My apologies for the absolutely terrible lighting in my LEGO room!)

20210119_16201320210119_16210920210119_16194920210118_19561120210119_16113620210119_16305920210119_161220

4 hours ago, PxChris said:

I've been continually adding to and tweaking my layout over the past few months. I've added quite a few more minifigures (though currently the Pirates definitely outnumber the Bluecoats, so I would like to add more soldiers when I can find some on a decent enough deal). My son feels that the layout needs more dynamic action and I agree with him, so I'll be starting to work on that next. However, I'm pretty pleased in general with how it's all been coming along.

(My apologies for the absolutely terrible lighting in my LEGO room!)

Spoiler

20210119_16201320210119_16210920210119_16194920210118_19561120210119_16113620210119_16305920210119_161220

Nice collection!

Does your son play with your Pirates LEGO?

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

16 minutes ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Nice collection!

Does your son play with your Pirates LEGO?

Thanks!

No, he's mostly out of the "play" stage... he's 17 now. LOL! But he's still a big time LEGO fan as well and has a huge collection of his own, he just doesn't pine after the classic stuff like I do. Nostalgia is a powerful force.

On 1/21/2021 at 3:43 AM, PxChris said:

I've been continually adding to and tweaking my layout over the past few months.

It's looking great! :pir-love: The close-ups look very populated and lively... but that curtain is distracting... it needs to be replaced with an undecorated material, ideally in the same colour as the wall. :pir-classic:

Setup is looking great! Agree with @Mister Phes that a solid background or sky backdrop would add to the display - the curtain pattern is distracting!

This is a beautiful display and truly captures the worldbuilding qualities of this theme. You've got a mighty collection, and the flow of the scene is wonderfully arranged. 10/10 PxChris, I registered for this site after seeing this! :pir-huzzah2:

On 2/17/2021 at 9:30 PM, fbi said:

This is a beautiful display and truly captures the worldbuilding qualities of this theme. You've got a mighty collection, and the flow of the scene is wonderfully arranged. 10/10 PxChris, I registered for this site after seeing this! :pir-huzzah2:

Wow... thank you so much!! That is quite a compliment!

20210418_165354

The minifigure count currently stands at a total of 50 Imperial Bluecoats (of all varieties, from simple soldiers and sailors to the Governor himself [x2]) and 77 Pirates in total. Still missing 6273 - haven't been able to find one at a price I'm willing to pay just yet.

I know that I still need to get some sort of a backdrop behind the diorama for it to look truly finalized. My wife isn't thrilled at that particular idea however, since my LEGO room also is our media room. Also, keeping in mind that the primary purpose to this display is my own playfulness and enjoyment, not photographing. And my lighting in this room continues to be abismal for photography.

Edited by PxChris

That's simply fantastic. Memories of looking through the early 90s catalogues are returning to my mind!