I have some very-very rare :-) LEGO micromotors from the 90's which you could not seen before :
-  they were never sold in the market.
-  only about 10 pcs were produced from each colors (exception of transparent which were ~30 pcs )

The motors are in good condition, They were never used. (they run only some minutes when they were end-tested)

Now I would like to sell them, but I do not know how much can they cost.

Rare micromotors.jpg

Many of you asked the story how these motors were birth so I added it to the Topic:

The story is very simple. I worked in the company in Hungary where these motors were DESIGNED and produced. In the begining we produced only this motors but later we DESIGNED and produced lot of other products.
for example: Micro Motor 9V (71427 and 43362);  motor to LEGO 9748 Droid (R2D2). ect.
and here were produced: RCX; sensors; Speedster; Mybot unit, LEGO watchs ect. ect which were move to Hungary from Billund.

http://lifeofacsstudent.github.io/2015/5.html
http://kockageneracio.blogspot.com/2013/01/magyar-feltalalo-kis-legomotorja.html

One day I and My 2 colleagues worked in the Night shift. Nobody else, just we. We could use the moulding machines (only had 2 pcs) which produced the plastic parts, We set the machines; change the tools, change the ABS ect. So we produced some parts from the all colors which we had.
Next days we assembled them in the production line. We could use the all equipments in the line because we were "alone" and we known the all production proceses and equipmens.

I do not know this "Story" is good or not, the motors become cheaper or more expensive becase of this.   but it is the Truth :-)

My LEGO parts: https://www.flickr.com/gp/189156800@N06/5dLz9h

Edited by QQriQ

When there is no pricing data to go on then an auction is the most appropriate method. The price will be dictated by how much the buyers are willing to pay to obtain the item in question. This isn't Lego specific; this is how it's done in real life from Cattle to Flowers to Fine Art. Usually there is some historic precedent; even with unique items like fine art there is always a similar paint or the artists pervious work that was sold to use as a benchmark.

The key is to make sure that you've got the right set of buyers lined up to bid against each other. For these items you'll be wanting buyers that collect rare and prototype pieces.

Interesting! But what people are willing to pay will -- among other factors -- depend on whether you can provide a plausible story about their origin and authenticity. Also, people need to trust you as a seller, or you'll need to auction them through a reputable third party that can vouch for the items.

Edited by astyanax

While these are intresting for sure I think having a single rotating stud and no other attachment points is pretty terrible :grin:

I think these are highly valuable if they work and are genuine lego. You can set a high price, but finding someone who is willing to pay is a different story.

I think the more important part of this story is the history behind these, what over 20+ years since these were discontinued, and I've never seen these discussed before in any topic.  These things are rarer than rare.  Very cool item, but does bare the question how did you come by these?

I sometimes wonder if even Lego still has proptotype parts like these in their archives? 

Edited by paul_delahaye

So do I understand this correctly: These motors were never planned by TLG, but you and some other dudes just made them for fun in a empty LEGO supplier's factory? 

Just now, Gray Gear said:

So do I understand this correctly: These motors were never planned by TLG, but you and some other dudes just made them for fun in a empty LEGO supplier's factory? 

These motors were used in 10 sets like the Discocery 8480 but were only produced in red.
The 2 clips to hold this motor in place are more rare than the motor itself.

13 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

These motors were used in 10 sets like the Discocery 8480 but were only produced in red.
The 2 clips to hold this motor in place are more rare than the motor itself.

Yes, These COLORS were never planned to use in sets, Just we produced them for fun. 
Only the red version was put to sets .But i think working pcs from the red motors are rare too
because over 25-28 years more of them could have became scrap. 
By the way I have 40-50 pcs red motors too, which are workind because they were never used. The collektors of the rotor has not "worn" yet.

46 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Yes, These COLORS were never planned to use in sets, Just we produced them for fun. 
Only the red version was put to sets 

What an interesting  back story, this is absolutely what I would do left alone in a Lego factory. Thanks for sharing :classic:

As far as value goes they are worth what someone is willing to pay so I also think an auction would be the way to go.

20 minutes ago, ukbajadave said:

What an interesting  back story, this is absolutely what I would do left alone in a Lego factory. Thanks for sharing :classic:

As far as value goes they are worth what someone is willing to pay so I also think an auction would be the way to go.

Could somebody offer me a "LEGO" site where I can start an auction??
Thank you in advance!!!!

eBay. You can also make an Instagram profile and reach out to some of the collectors of rare parts. Stuff like that can easily go for 100EUR or more. I've sold many parts like that

I've also sold more than a hundred red motors, most on Bricklink. Price them nicely and DO note in the description they're testet and practically as new and those too will sell fast

Cheers,

Ole

Ooh, so I didn't understand right. 

Cool idea making pieces in different colors for fun. Someone should do this kind of thing for the porsche+lambo wheel arches :grin:

Just now, Gray Gear said:

Cool idea making pieces in different colors for fun. Someone should do this kind of thing for the porsche+lambo wheel arches :grin:

Already you can find on BrickLink genuine parts in colors that don't appear in any set. Sellers should be made to provide their backstory... :grin:

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

Paul Boratko got pearl light grey Porsche wheels that way :wink:

and orange red and trans light blue exist too.

13 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Paul Boratko got pearl light grey Porsche wheels that way :wink:

and orange red and trans light blue exist too.

No good without backstory!! :laugh_hard:

Yeah. You probably have a small fortune on your hands there since these are made on official equipment and with LEGO logos.

Fun fact about the micromotor. These were unbelievably expensive to produce. The micromotor did in some sets cost LEGO more to produce than what the set was sold for! Mismanagement of funds like this was one of the reasons for the financial troubles in the late '90s and early '00s. Even the Technic space shuttle was sold at a loss! LEGO has since then introduced strict control of production cost for all of their parts, and the price of some parts even vary based on color.

@QQriQ Thank You for the insights and for the links, these were also new to me. Very interesting!

I might be interested to buy one as hobby/technological memory.

Edited by agrof

Awesome story! Would love to do this myself.

So you made those 10 of each colored ones, so you got some and 9 other of your collegues have some as well?

3 hours ago, astyanax said:

Already you can find on BrickLink genuine parts in colors that don't appear in any set. Sellers should be made to provide their backstory... :grin:

Yeah, but that's going to stop. TLG do not like that, I've allready been asked to remove my 100% genuine prototype parts from BL by the admin :thumbdown:

2 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Yeah, but that's going to stop. TLG do not like that, I've allready been asked to remove my 100% genuine prototype parts from BL by the admin :thumbdown:

What kind of prototype parts? Just curious. :sweet: Did TLG ask this after acquiring BL?