Aurore

[EBFS] Herbalist's Garden

This is my entry to the Eurobricks Flower Show!
It's also a freebuild for Mitgardia here in the Guilds of Historica.

As an aspiring herbalist, Sigrid used to find most of her ingredients in the forest that surrounded the village. 
But while gaining experience, she felt the need to grow her own garden. She needed to keep the most useful plants within easy reach - and also wanted to make experiments with flora that would not grow natively in the Mitgardian mountains.

In a few years, she had managed to gather many medicinal plants from Mitgardia, and to acclimate a few ones from Avalonia. And her garden kept growing : there were still so many plants to learn about!

50020122527_515d0ee1cb_c.jpg

50019864391_b63e7c7806_c.jpg

50019864346_3d121e2c56_c.jpg

As with my previous builds, the spoiler section contains details about the featured flora. 

Spoiler

Hyperlinks on the latin names lead to the Wikipedia page of the real-life plants I tried to represent and adapt to the world of Historica. 
Botanical illustrations of those real-life plants are and in the public domain and come from wikimedia commons.

Angelica (Angelica Archangelica) is a common sight in northern Historica. Since its appearance is quite similar to poisonous species, however, it is rarely foraged in the wild. 
Cultivated, it is widely used in the traditional Mitgardian cuisine - especially candied as a decoration for cakes. Its medicinal uses include, but are not limited to, the treatment of all kind of digestive troubles. 
It is also said to be an efficient magical protection against curses.
50019442323_3e7d3bdfd9.jpg

Marsh-mallow (Althaea Officinalis) is native to the humid western coasts of Avalonia.
Mostly known for the candies that are made from its root, it also has interesting medicinal properties for the treatment of cough and throat ulcers. 
50020230647_c8d90af6d8.jpg

Hypericum (Hypericum Perforatum) is generally considered as a noxious weed that challenges gardeners from all over Historica with its invasive growth and resilience to weeding. 
However, its is welcome in most herbal gardens since its oily extract is very useful to heal wounds and burns. 
Opinions seem to differ as to its magical properties. Many people believe Hypericum to protect from evil spirits, while gardeners seem to find the plant more annoying than any spirit it could protect from.
50019972446_1866542200.jpg

An aura of mystery and magic surrounds the Mandrake (Mandragora Officinarum). Native to Varlyrio, Kaliphlin and southern Avalonia, it's not easy to cultivate in Mitgardia.
The result is worth the effort though, as this plant can be used to prepare one the most efficient sedatives known to the Guilds. 
It's also hallucinogenic and hypnotic, and is thus highly sought after by charlatans and fake shamans.
50019972506_fd7867fe6b.jpg

Since many commenters seemed to enjoy the well, there is now a tutorial here in my flickr!
Credits : the birch tree uses Katie Walker's leaves weaving technique.

Edited by Aurore
+ well tutorial

That garden is lovely!  Great job with the well roof - those angles are excellent.  The flowers write-up at the bottom is very neat and informative.

@jtooker Thank you very much! I'm really glad you like the well roof - it looks so simple, but it took me quite a few experiments before getting it right! :blush:

That well is fantastic!  Beautiful work with the flowers and vegetation, as we've come to expect from you - and I'm a fan of that hidden iguana! :grin:  The dark green layer adds some great detail to the base as well!

Another lovely build, great work with adding to the flower/plant info for us all :classic:

Love that well on the wall in the back!  I think it's cool how with the low angle shot makes the garden look sort of overgrown but in the overhead there's clearly a path.

@adde51 Thank you very much! 

@mrcp6d Thank you! I'm so glad you noticed the "lush yet ordered" organisation, as it was definitely what I aimed at! 

@socalbricks Thank you very much! I'm really glad so many people enjoy the well! :sweet:

I don’t comment that often, but I have to congratulate you on this one.  Medieval mini builds and the like are awesome - and particularly this one.  The story behind it is simply the icing on the cake.  And the information on each of the plants in the garden is amazing!  Not something I would have been able to do for my models.  Congratulations!

As others have said, the well roof is top notch!  Those sunflowers are brilliant too.  All the different shapes and colors of flowers you have here makes me realize I'm a little behind in my collection! :laugh:

This is a beautiful garden! The wall with the well makes it feel cozy and nice place to be in when the sun is burning. The dark green surface is a nice contrast to the flowers (I  use it often this way). The well is my favorite, but I like the flowers a lot too. Bookmarked for inspiration!

Gorgeous!  I didn't know the quarter circle tiles were out in dark green yet... I'll have to get some!  Love the leaf weaving on the tree.  It looks very natural.  As usual, the flowers are great!  I like the sunflower looking ones, and I think the mandrakes are fantastic.  The well is well done (lol) and the stone wall looks good, especially with the cat on top.  Love the little snail hiding in the back, too.  Great job!

@Grover Thank you very much, I'm really glad you like it! 
I had not noticed the quarter tile showing up in dark green either. Until my june LEGO order arrived with, among centaurs, dinosaurs and patroni, a few Dots bracelets...:sweet:

Edited by Aurore
typo!

Really great build, I really like how you made the roofing for the well. Really cool description for the plants, in total really cool build!

I said it in the TC18 contest, and I'll say it again: Contest entries should not be frontpaged while the contest is still going IMO. It is giving an unfair advantage over the other entries. @Aurore this ins't meant to attack your (lovely :blush:) build, but just to keep things fair for everyone. But in the end it will be @Peppermint_M or some other mod to decide. 

Front page posting has nothing to do with the user who made the thread nor did I post it to the front page. 

There are no rules against it. If some staff member saw it and liked it, why prevent them sharing it?

The voting will open with all qualifying entries and that is where people can decide how to cast their votes. 

Please try to be a good sport and remain polite.

I know the front page picks arn't done by the user who made the post *huh*

Why prevent them sharing it? While there are no rules to prevent frontpaging contest entries, I still wouldn't call it "good sport" if some few entires get a massive ammounts of additional exposure while others dont.

But do as you will, I dont want to fight or argue :wink:

Edited by Gray Gear