Dirk1313

10277 Swiss Crocodile - Set Review

I really like the "Donnerbüchsen" you added Dirk (Thunder box coaches) with it! Some other fans added cargo cars to their crocodile. My smaller MOC/MOD crocodile (based on 4551) was destroyed by a visiting kid unfortunately, still need to rebuild it in the upcoming summer vacation.

17 minutes ago, JopieK said:

I really like the "Donnerbuchsen" you added Dirk (Thunder box coaches) with it! Some other fans added cargo cars to their crocodile. My smaller MOC/MOD crocodile (based on 4551) was destroyed by a visiting kid unfortunately, still need to rebuild it in the upcoming summer vacation.

Thanks! These coaches are from HA-Bricks (custom sets made of genuine LEGO bricks):
https://www.habricks.com/product/prussian-express-coach/

Nice review and I like the modifications you made. Will the loco go around LEGO tight curves with the mod? If it can than there was no excuse for LEGO not coming up with a solution to make the gap smaller

8 minutes ago, samsz_3 said:

Nice review and I like the modifications you made. Will the loco go around LEGO tight curves with the mod? If it can than there was no excuse for LEGO not coming up with a solution to make the gap smaller

Yes, it does go around the LEGO curves. My track consists of both, wide custom curve and LEGO scale.

But for LEGO it was not an option to use the panel. The reason is that it can be mounted only with one stud. This is flimsy and can easily fall off. For an enthusiast not a problem, but for the average buyer it would be.

CD8D7FD9-0E7E-44FA-B957-87892D4CA171.jpeg

0BF7CD7D-3370-4A30-8242-EEC6639982CB.jpeg

51 minutes ago, JopieK said:

"Donnerbuchsen"

Donnerbüchsen, the "ü" adds to the "Donner" a lot ... :laugh:

Best
Thorsten

19 minutes ago, Dirk1313 said:

Yes, it does go around the LEGO curves. My track consists of both, wide custom curve and LEGO scale.

But for LEGO it was not an option to use the panel. The reason is that it can be mounted only with one stud. This is flimsy and can easily fall off. For an enthusiast not a problem, but for the average buyer it would be.

CD8D7FD9-0E7E-44FA-B957-87892D4CA171.jpeg

0BF7CD7D-3370-4A30-8242-EEC6639982CB.jpeg

Thanks, okay I know you're modification may be flimsy, but Lego when designing from the ground up could have managed to make a secure cover

Nice, didn’t think we’d see footage of the official set already. In your opinion, do you think there’s a way to modify the wheelbase to articulate like the real locomotive?

6 hours ago, Toastie said:

the "ü" adds to the "Donner" a lot ...

Indeed, two dots converting a bushing (Buchse) into a tin-can (Büchse). :laugh:

Great review! Is there an easy way to stop the LED from shining through the window without resorting to a piece of paper or something? Can you fit some kind of a brick in there?

6 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Nice, didn’t think we’d see footage of the official set already. In your opinion, do you think there’s a way to modify the wheelbase to articulate like the real locomotive?

Maybe when you only use it for showcase. Motorized it is a no, as there is no space in the front and rear parts for any motors.

56 minutes ago, Mr Hobbles said:

Great review! Is there an easy way to stop the LED from shining through the window without resorting to a piece of paper or something? Can you fit some kind of a brick in there?

As I currently have no access to the model and instructions, I can only guess: a tile should work. But I think it would still shine through a little bit.

59 minutes ago, Mr Hobbles said:

I think you can deactivate the light in the PU-App (programming part, not Crocodile specific interface), but I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, Mr Hobbles said:

You could make your own remote control in the "Make" tab of the app and change the light color or turn it off.

17 minutes ago, Dirk1313 said:

Maybe when you only use it for showcase. Motorized it is a no, as there is no space in the front and rear parts for any motors.

What about with the motor in the middle, and rerouting the shafts through articulated turntables?

2 hours ago, BrickMusher said:

Indeed, two dots converting a bushing (Buchse) into a tin-can (Büchse). :laugh:

9 hours ago, Toastie said:

Best
Thorsten

You are right, fixed it ;) Thats one of the reasons why most Dutch high school kids find German at school intimidating. Dutch word is donderbussen (which is probably a somewhat too 'wordy' translation from German as Büchse is a shot gun isn't it, and at least in current Dutch a bus is a bus (coach)). I looked it up and "Donderbus" in Dutch is also some kind of old shotgun, didn't know that. 

1 hour ago, JopieK said:

donderbussen

And that in it's turn is actually a milk churn wherein they let Ethyn gas explode (Carbid gas)

But a bus can also be a tin (f.a. a rusk tin)

oh wel...
Looks the train took the wrong switch.:laugh:
BOT

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

Well, this is a pass for me. It's neatly configured; it's fairly well designed... but it's simply not a prototype I am interested in. I really admire N. American, Japanese, British, and even a lot of the Aussie/Kiwi steam and diesels... but I just cannot be sold on continental European post-steam stuff. It looks too alien.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

2 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Well, this is a pass for me. It's neatly configured; it's fairly well designed... but it's simply not a prototype I am interested in. I really admire N. American, Japanese, British, and even a lot of the Aussie/Kiwi steam and diesels... but I just cannot be sold on continental European post-steam stuff. It looks too alien.

If you ever want some of that other content, better buy this one too - even if just for the parts. 10277 is a market test - if the response is favorable, they are more likely to produce more AFOL train sets.

On 6/16/2020 at 11:01 PM, Toastie said:

Best
Thorsten

With or without umlaut, didn't think they were Donnerbüchsen. Aren't they shorter, with two fixed axles, and no raised middle section in the roof?

1 hour ago, Duq said:

With or without umlaut, didn't think they were Donnerbüchsen. Aren't they shorter, with two fixed axles, and no raised middle section in the roof?

True: they are according to HABricks "Prussian Express Coaches".

1 hour ago, Duq said:

Absolutely, but that was not my point :pir-huzzah2:. As @BrickMusher noticed: being stuffed into a "thunder bearing, bush or connector" is different from being stuffed into a "tin can", where is so loud that it reminds you of near thunder.

(But you are right: They're not. Whether they are really 4-achsige Preussische Abteilwagen is not entirely clear to me, but they're darn close. Plus: These may be equally thunderesque :classic:)

Best
Thorsten

9 hours ago, Toastie said:

(But you are right: They're not. Whether they are really 4-achsige Preussische Abteilwagen is not entirely clear to me, but they're darn close. Plus: These may be equally thunderesque :classic:)

Best
Thorsten

They definately are! They are just slightly shortened to run well on genuine LEGO track (switches and curves).

This is a C4ü PR08 - read more here: http://www.rbd-breslau.de/14-sitzwagen/sitzwagen_s_pr.html

image.jpeg