Sign in to follow this  
Alex Buccaneer

About the Islanders

First of all I want to say hello to everybody!

Very long time reader, but now I decided to make an account.

I am sorry if I should have posted this in another topic, but I wasn't sure in which one.

Now to the subject...when I was a kid (in the mid 90's) I remember watching on a Lego Catalog and the set Enchanted Island (6278) it was called The Island of Cannibals (Insula Canibalilor in romanian) and since then me and my friends always addressed the islanders as the cannibals.

Unfortunately I can't verify this because I don't have and also can't find any of those catalogs (the romanian version).

Do you consider the Islanders cannibals? I know that they resemble polynesian tribes.....so it wouldn't be so far fetched. 

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Edited by Alex Buccaneer

13 minutes ago, Alex Buccaneer said:

Do you consider the Islanders cannibals?

Yes. They like to have regular meet and eats with imperial invaders.

16 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Yes, but with joy and gladness

I too always viewed them as hostile towards the imperialism government and sympathetic towards the pirates who trade their wares

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see the islanders return (outside not-so-subtle nods like the statues in Barracuda Bay). Racial perceptions have just changed too much.

3 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see the islanders return (outside not-so-subtle nods like the statues in Barracuda Bay). Racial perceptions have just changed too much.

I think you are wrong. The islanders are related to an era long before slavery and other racial "conflicts"  I dont think that you will see western set again with a indian. But pirates are a more "free" theme in my opnion. 

I always thought that they are just casual islanders like Aztecs and Mayans, also I don't recall seeing a set with them which refers to cannibalism...

Islanders are likely more related a mix of Polynesia/Hawaii/Easter Island (Austronesia) references 

• The statues could be viewed as Moai.
  • The Outrigger Boats / canoes.
  • And the Grass skirts they wear.

I don't see them as cannibals , but certainly would be hostile toward the Imperialists that might try and change their culture, and exploit their treasures/resources.

Even while there was never an Imperials vs Islanders in the same set I can understand the use of Pirates instead of portraying some western nation invading on their doorstep.

Of course Pirates steal and use weapons as well, but a Bluecoat/Redcoat/Armada type of set where they'd put Islanders in cages etc would just give off an entirely different message, especially nowadays.

Pirates were actually put into prison instead, and some sets seem to promote trading/exploring rather then using overwhelming force, as there's not a single Cannon in an Islanders set.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 6/17/2020 at 3:10 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

I too always viewed them as hostile towards the imperialism government and sympathetic towards the pirates who trade their wares

Same. Although I had way more pirate minifigs than Imperials (this has been rectified now), the 3 Islanders I own till today, were sympathetic towards Pirates.

Edited by blackdeathgr

2 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Same. Although I had way more pirate minifigs than Imperials (this has been rectified now), the 3 Islanders I own till today, were sympathetic towards Pirates.

Same here, while I just had Enchanted Island in terms of Islanders, Sharks and Crocodile would be more hostile towards the Pirates compared to the people. :)

I never had many sets, the Bluecoats would have 2x Sabre island , but still that gave them cannons to defend, while the Pirates just had some small boats in my collection.

Edited by TeriXeri

Haha ! The eternal question of the Islander cannibalism... :kahuka:

To be short : Probably. Yes !

To be more accurate : Not exactly; Because TLG never showed it clearly ! It's again the Group Policy BTW...

But You could deduct it from how the sets are presented :

First : 6246 Crocodile cage set  : The set is clearly a prison for Pirates made by the Islanders ! To cook them after that ? (see the BBQ just near the prison...) Or to give them to the Croc ? You're free to interprate !

Second thought : The Gorgeous set of  6278 Enchanted Island : The Moai statue is also a prison ! And near it there is also a fire with a big pot on it ! To cook the prisoners ?? also here for free interpretation !

TLG Policy is clear on racial depictions and conflicts now but in the 90's it was possible to see racial conflict (see the western line with Indians for example) and so, there is a possibility that our dear Islanders could have been cannibals...

This is mostly suggested of course. And I don't remember having seen them clearly cook a Pirate or an Imperial.

It is something we will never see nowadays.

Unfortunately I am not sure there will be a new islander wave at all... :pir-bawling: