Shadows

POLL: "A Pirate's Life!" Voting Completed!

Pick Your Favourites!  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Impulse Class Set?

• Batbrick
    • BlueDog
    • dragonator
    • Dreamweb
    • Dufresne
    • Duke
    • dukeschunke
    • Erdbeereis1
    • Faramir
    • Fat Tony
    • FelixTheCat
    • Fluyt
    • hollisbrick
    • jamtf
    • jaudeau
    • Klaus-Dieter
    • LuxorV
    • Majek
    • Matn
    • oDDerFisken
    • oo7
    • phred
    • SirNadroj
    • Skipper24
    • Skullossus
    • SlyOwl
    • TinyPiesRUs
    • Vincent Cheung
    • WhiteFang
  2. 2. Which is the best Small Class Set?

• Dufresne
    • dukeschunke
    • Erdbeereis1
    • Fat Tony
    • hollisbrick
    • jaudeau
    • Legolas
    • LuxorV
    • Majek
    • phred
    • SirNadroj
    • Skipper24
    • Skullossus
    • SlyOwl
    • TinyPiesRUs
  3. 3. Which is the best Large Class Set?

• Axel
    • Dufresne
    • Duke
    • dukeschunke
    • Fat Tony
    • FelixTheCat
    • Fluyt
    • Jason
    • jaudeau
    • kaboom4
    • Majek
    • Matn
    • Nikola Bathory
    • phred
    • SirNadroj
    • Skipper24
    • SlyOwl
    • TinyPiesRUs
    • TQmaster500
    • Vadim

apirateslife5.jpg

Welcome to the exciting conclusion of "A Pirate's Life!"

The moment has finally come for you to select your favourites and decide who will win the treasures!

Please look over the next few posts carefully, they divide the entries into their appropriate classes. Then make your selections above.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to participate, I sincerely appreciate the incredible response to this contest. There are some seriously amazing entries, it's going to be some tough voting!

Special thanks to Captain Green Hair, Hinckley, and Mr. Phes for donating our fine prizes!

Good luck and may the best entries win! :jollyroger:

Note: Each thumbnail links back to the original entry post so you can see them in more detail.

Impulse Class - 29 Entries

batbrick_1.jpg bluedog_1.jpg dragonator_1.jpg dreamweb_1.jpg

dufresne_1.jpg duke_1.jpg dukeschunke_1.jpg erdbeereis1_1.jpg

faramir_1.jpg fattony_1.jpg felixthecat_1.jpg fluyt_1.jpg

hollisbrick_1.jpg jamtf_1.jpg jaudeau_1.jpg klausdieter_1.jpg

luxorv_1.jpg majek_1.jpg matn_1.jpg odderfisken_1.jpg

oo7_1.jpg phred_1.jpg sirnadroj_1.jpg skipper24_1.jpg

skullossus_1.jpg slyowl_1.jpg tinypiesrus_1.jpg vincentcheung_1.jpg

whitefang_1.jpg

My votes are (in order of class)

jamtf, because who couldn't buy an Impulse set with all that equipment?

Dufresne, because of Islanders and a lovely canoe.

jaudeau, because of great design and choice of parts.

1209263766_DISPLAY.jpg

Fat Tony's presentation is exceptionally good! We'll have to offer him a job at Classic-Pirates.com after this.

Finally! :pir-sweet:

Theser are my votes:

Impulse class: Duke (Because of his simple and at the same time lovely model :pir-wink: )

Small class: Jaudeau (A model specially well built and respecting the classical official lego pirates style. I can really see it in a 1992 or 1993 catalogue :pir-tongue: )

Large class: Fluyt (Great MFs and a lot of weapons! I thinks it's quite well designed, and with this little arcade it's a perfect beginning for a little harbour or something... :pir-blush:)

Good luck to everyone! :pir_yoda:

noooo...... :pir_bawling: . my computer comes back from service today, and i would have had the pictures up today....... is there any way you could write down the number of votes for each person, then redo the poll? i understand that you have already postponed it though...... but then Athos could enter his large entry also

Edited by ricecracker

I voted:

Impulse- Fat Tony because I really think unless LEGO uses the old style of cannon, this is how they would do it. Plus, it makes those damn ugly spring loaded things look really good.

Small Class- SlyOwl because it is a very neat looking little set that I wouldn't mind having myself.

Large Class- SlyOwl because that is a mighty fine looking vessel!

There were other great entries too! Great job everyone!

Really hard choices had to be made, great job all from all that entered the contest!

My votes are:

1. Phred because I really like his idea of new-world sets. And it is designed very nicely :thumbup:

2. SlyOwl because this is really a neat set :pir-blush: I like everything about it, it could very well be a set TLC would release :thumbup:

3. Jaudenau, because this is a really cool building. It could easily be a beautiful part of any little harbor in the Carribean (sp?) sea :thumbup: SlyOwl's ship makes a very close 2nd place for me! :thumbup:

Best regards, Benny

I voted:

Large: dukeshnuke. I like the style of the boat, and the two sails look lovely together.

Small: Slyowl. It has many good parts, and I love that small armada flag!

Impulse: TinypiesRUs. I would buy 3 or 4 of these, and I never buy doubles! The only second of the same sets I've got were from the same person at my birthday patries.

I voted for Dreamweb in the impulse class, Phred in the small class and TinypiesRus in the large class.

All of the entries are fantastic! Great work everyone! :pir-sweet:

COMPREHENSIVE REVEIW TIME. Because I'm just that awesome.

IMPULSE CLASS:

Batbrick: A decent impulse, but there's nothing notable about it. Plants are redundant and the use of a franchise piece (Crystal Skull) sorta kills the "officialness" of it.

Bluedog: Not to be mean, but this I felt was the worst entry, period. The skeleton is missing an arm and has fire for a hat, and the one arm it does have is black. Unless it's meant to be charred up, it just doesn't look good.

Dragonator: A modest inpulse, it's main weakness is that it is simply upclassed by similar entries.

Dreamweb: Another decent entry that is mostly upclassed. Dunno about the use of green fences and the large yellow plate though.

Dufrense: Makes for a clever MOC, but looks rather unoffical. The skeleton is too morbid and his design doesn't look very professional.

Duke: a very good entry, good for army building, and the shipdeck idea is cool. However, it lacks any real charm, and you never entered any other things like it to show any sort of series to this idea. At best we would just get a never ending shipdeck :pir-tongue:

Dukeschunke: Nothing too impressive. The sail and barrel seem out of place.

Erdbeereis: This doesn't look very "impulse" to me. More like a portion of a small set.

Faramir: This too is too morbid and not very TLC looking. Also, the use of Achoo throws me off some.

Fat Tony: His entire collection looks VERY MUCH like something TLC would do today. However, the impulse set didn't get my vote.

Felix the cat: Too morbid, unprofessional looking, construction looks flimsy.

Fluyt: Similar to Erdbeereis. Looks more like a portion of a small set.

Hollisbrick: This one really dissapoints me. I see no consistency, or theme, or even a basic design to this entry.

Jamtf: A good idea, but something just overall seems off about it. Maybe the shelf.

Jaudeau: A good entry! However, like Dragonator, this one is upclassed as well...

Klaus-Dieter: Basically the same as Jamtf's, but with overall worse design. I dislike the use of the brown epaulettes, and the fact the Blackjack Hawkins figure is otherwise unmodified is also lackluster. Doesn't look much like a merchant either.

LuxorV: Another decent but nothing notable entry. Almost seems a bit TOO small though.

Majek: This entry is a good idea but the execution seems too hodgepodgy.

Matn: A good entry, very official looking, but is sadly upclassed by other entries.

oDDerFisken: Good idea, but looks woefully put together.

oo7: Another favorite of mine! I would love to see new legs done in 1600s leg hosing. However, the figure just looks weird without his breastplate.

Phred: A good entry, but VERY un-official in idea. Slave or not, a black plantation worker is just something LEGO would never make, ever. Also, the use of Baron Von Barron's torso seems a bit odd.

SirNadroj: Good idea, love the chickens, but not much else to it.

Skipper 24: Mediocre entry, with odd use of obvious Star Wars parts.

Skullossus: Should've been fleshed out into a small class set. Also, the minifig looks weird.

SlyOwl: Good entry. Too good in fact. WE HAVE ENOUGH KING KAHUKAS. :pir-tongue:

TinyPiesRUs: The one that gets my vote! It came down to a battle of the photo, and TinyPie's is the winning one! Good impulse design, and a good show off photo lets you see every detail of the set. Soldier, cavalry, and artillery!

Vincent Cheung: Very well made and funny, but looks more like a MOC than a set.

Whitefang: Outclassed by most other entries, and the capfire looks weird.

MY VOTE GOES TO: TinyPiesRUS

SMALL CLASS:

Dufresne: I love the canoe, and the set looks well made. But the photo kills it. Roasting a soldier!? Totally what LEGO would never do!

Dukeschunke: A decent entry, but looks too much like a clone of an older official set

Erdbeereis: Cute, but not very set looking. Again, it look like a MOC!

Fat Tony: My vote for small goes here! The boxart is well made and again, this seems like a direction LEGO would take the pirates in this day and age. Plus, it just looks cool.

Hollisbrick: Too plain. It's simply a tower on an island! Potential to be a great MOC, not so much a set.

Jaudeau: A great entry! However, like Dukeschunke's entry, it just seems too similar to older sets.

Legolas: A good entry! Battle packs are good! However, it should have been fleshed out with more than just a brickbuilt cannon.

LuxorV: Much like Hollisbrick, this one looks good but also boring. Not very official looking.

Majek: This one is just weird... almost seems to be in line with modern LEGO, but something just feels off....

Phred: Jaw droppingly awesome! However, the photo coudl've been a better one, and while I LOVE the idea of the "Revolutionaries", I feel that the turtle sub would just feel weird with Pirates.

SirNadroj: This one's too ununiform. Fabuland head, achu torso and legs on seperate figures, and a bad background. I do love the King Kahuka face thing though.

Skipper 24: Alot like SirNadroj. WAY too crazy and un-official looking.

Skullossus: This one is cool, but the Mermaid could've been better made. The pirates need better designs as well.

SlyOwl: Another close one! Looks like it'd fit right in with older pirate sets.

TinyPiesRUs: A decent entry, but doesn't really stand out.

MY VOTE GOES TOO: Fat Tony

LARGE CLASS:

Axle: Bad photograph and clumsy looking island design.

Dufrense: A good entry! Love the lighthouse, and this photo is good.

Duke: What was a good entry gets blasted by a poor photo! We can't see any of the details here!

Dukeschunke: Good entry, but rather underwhelming. Don't the imperials have enough small boats? :{

Fat Tony: Again, another near perfect entry for all the same reasons! This time though he didn't get my vote...

FelixtheCat: Just too violent to be LEGO. Also, poor entry photo.

Fluyt: One of the better entries! And again looks old school.

Jason: This looks more like a MOC than a set. But I do like the skull.

Jaudeau: My vote goes here! It fits classic pirates, can be new pirates, and looks both real and fantastic at the same time! Very official looking too.

Kaboom4: Shouldn't this one be disqualified? Too many figs. Also, a whole lot of parts used in a very small area...

Majek: Ok entry. The soldier looks weird. The backveiw photo however I like.

Matn: Almost too simple! While I like this entry, it seems too bland. And the naked soldier is just weird.

Nikola Barthory: Had potential, but I can see a heavy use of random white parts instead of just using consistent sizes. It also looks like a poorer version ot Matn's entry.

Phred: Love the design of the crew, but the string rigging throws me off some.

SirNadoj: Fabuland! Hilariously workable, but I doubt LEGO would do this now.

Skipper24: Too chaotic! And the trees are weird. Can't tell what's what here.

Slyowl: A good entry, but the Fabuland figurehead is just... weird. Too weird.

TinyPiesRUs: Good entry! I love the Aztec designs, but I feel this gets too specific for LEGO. Maybe if they were Islanders...

TQMaster500: A really good entry. The hinges are a sweet deal. However, I find that the attacking pirate ship to be weird. Love the use of the Wild West covered wagon top though.

Vadim: Bad photograph, and a weird sail. Could've been cool, but it just doesn't make it in the end.

MY VOTE: JAUDEAU.

WOW, that took a long time to type up!

I voted.

Phred for impulse class. SlyOwl for small. Tinypiesrus for large.

It was a hard decision because all of the entries are incredibly good and I know that a lot of time and effort were put into them (no criticisms from me since I wasn't able to muster up the time and creativity to enter). Best of luck to all! :pir-wink:

Wow, thanks to everyone who has voted for me! :pir-blush:

Well, it was tough voting, there were so many great entries :pir-wub:

Impulse

I voted oo7 - A great Spanish minifig, with plenty of accesories and some nice vegetation. Great Work! :pir-sweet:

Special mentions:

SirNadroj - With a great 17th century hottie, as well as cleverly made chickens and stick bread, where can you go wrong?

phred - PC aside, this is a great little set. I love the minifig as well as the cotton farm, and it would be great to get one of those wonderful pitchforks in a smaller set.

Dreamweb - A very nice concept, sounds like something TLC could do. The dummy is great, and I'd love an Armada impulse.

Small Set

I voted for SlyOwl. This set represents just about everything I loved about the pirate theme. This is a great little set with plenty of playability, some nice Armada/pirate conflict and an overall terrific stronghold :thumbup::thumbup:

Special mentions:

Fat Tony - a very lego-like ship, very Asian, great minifigs and simply stunning box art! Great work!

phred - A nice historical set, with a great American soldier, and a very detailed and well made submarine. I love it :thumbup:

Legolas - I really like the cannon design, and the idea of a redcoat battlepack is great. Nice work.

Large Set

This was the toughest category for me, but in the end, SlyOwl got my vote. A fine ship you've made there with a rather pleasing cartoony colour scheme. I especially like the design on the ship side (?). The collapsing mast is a great idea, and the Sinner figurehead is a nice touch.

Special mentions:

jaudeau - Nice work, this really looks like a pirate's heaven. It really captures the look of Lego sets of the late 90's. A superb amount of accesories, and the tavern is a very great idea, one which surprisingly wasn't used in the actual line (aside from the Lagoon Lockup). Great work! :thumbup:

Fat Tony - I really love the ship, and the cave is nice too. Like your other entries, I absolutely love the box art.

FelixtheCat - A great Islander set, I love the cliffface. However, I think you should've used your extra 70 or so pieces to create some nice Islander structures and make it a little more unique. I do still love this however, the leaf shelter and the ladders are very nice, and the alligators are a nice touch. That poor Spaniard :pir-devil:

Thanks for organising this great contest imperialshadows, I had alot of fun :pir-classic:

Edited by TinyPiesRUs

Thanks to the people who voted for me :pir-classic: .

My votes;

Impulse: SirNadroj - nicely made chick...ens :pir-tongue: , nice to see a little civillian set with nice accesoires.

Smalle: jaudeau - very lego-like

Large: jaudeau - again very lego-like and old school looking with a nicely built tavern and parts selection.

IMPULSE CLASS:

Hollisbrick: This one really dissapoints me. I see no consistency, or theme, or even a basic design to this entry.

It does have a theme! Didn't you read the story that came with the entry :pir_wacko:

Hollisbrick: Too plain. It's simply a tower on an island! Potential to be a great MOC, not so much a set.

It's a skellie pirate's dock!!! What do you want it to look like, nice pretty pink walls with rainbows :pir_mad:

Dear QuartermasterRobert, to be an "awesome review writer" you must evaluate both the negative and positive aspects of the subject of review. It appears you've focused mainly upon the negative, so are you indicating that you can't find anything positive to write about the creations you did not vote for?

If not, you are entitled to your opinions but just remember the public never takes kindly to critics who pan everything.

So if you can find a positive word or two about the entries then I'd recommend you share them.

all the entries were great, which makes it very difficult to cast my vote. ultimately, i settled for the sets i would purchase if it were an official set.

Dear QuartermasterRobert, to be an "awesome review writer" you must evaluate both the negative and positive aspects of the subject of review. It appears you've focused mainly upon the negative, so are you indicating that you can't find anything positive to write about the creations you did not vote for?

If not, you are entitled to your opinions but just remember the public never takes kindly to critics who pan everything.

So if you can find a positive word or two about the entries then I'd recommend you share them.

Mmmm, I suppose you have a point. I shall edit and re-evaluate my reveiws. I really should stop typing on first thoughts... (especially when they take so long to type they're worth putting more input into :pir-blush: )

Mmmm, I suppose you have a point. I shall edit and re-evaluate my reveiws. I really should stop typing on first thoughts... (especially when they take so long to type they're worth putting more input into :pir-blush: )

:laugh: Thanks. I think that's very nice of you. IMO, there's nothing wrong with your first thoughts, they were just presented in a way that could come across as harsh. So be more constructive, like Phes said, point out some positives along with the negatives and maybe offer some humble advice for improvement. Makes it feels like more of a community to me. Thanks again so much for the positive response and for editing the original post. I think it says a lot about your character. :classic:

Let me just start by thanking all of our contestants again. You put forth a great effort and it shows! It isn't always easy to put together and present a coherent and well designed entry, and when it's in a contest like this, where your host is a maniac and has 12,000 rules, it's even more challenging. Sincerely, thank you for making it all worthwhile and bringing such a varied and creative set of ideas to this contest.

Further, I need to thank the prize contributors again. Without you, I wouldn't have been able to keep reminding people that they could win such fabulous prizes!

Third, a special thank you to Mr. Phes and the entire crew of Classic-Pirates for helping plan and execute this lovely little adventure.

And lastly, I'd like to say a special word to all of you who have voted and added your thoughtful opinions on the works presented before you. Thank you!

My votes:

Impulse: Skullossus. I couldn't resist a hottie and her booty.

Small: SlyOwl. It's a great mix of parts and has enough of a retro feel, yet updated at the same time. Playability scores high.

Large: TinyPiesRUs. This is the entry I want to build myself, only larger. MUCH larger. It just looks great and well thought out.

There were some very close runners-up, too many to name. I'll be stealing ideas from this contest for years!

Thanks again to everyone! :jollyroger: