Murdoch17

[MOC] [LDD] Creator pirate ship 31109 MOD x2 (Kintyre)

Captained by a Scottish fellow named Albert McCartney, this ship, the "Kintyre", originally operated out of what became one of the Southern-most English Colonies. There mission was as a privateer to harass any Spanish ships coming from the Caribbean to the old world with gold and silver, (plus harass and steal from the French), for around five years, starting in 1705. But eventually, McCartney grew tired of paying his due of treasure to the English crown, and set off to make his own way in the world "free" of any government. He moved his base of operations to a small island in the Caribbean with his crew, where there resided a abandoned French attempt at a fort from years prior. He got his crew to complete the fort, and used it as his base of operations. He plundered many a French, Spanish, and other nations' ships, along with his former comrades in the English navy.

In early summer 1717 the Kintyre was last seen by some trappers on land (near what later became the port of Savannah, Georgia) sailing low in the water, going north, unknowingly into the path of a massive hurricane. The resulting wreck has never been found, and it was rumored to have been loaded to the gun-ports with gold and silver taken from a Spanish treasure ship by Florida's southern coast. (which had been found empty of most of it's treasure in the 1960's.) This could explain the heavily laden shape of the Kintyre that day in June 1717. As to what happened to the ship after it left the later-day Savannah area is anyone's guess, as it seems to have vanished without a trace off the face of the Earth.

50438516016_dd7323089b_z.jpg

This ship is named the Kintyre, and is a recolor and MOD of set 31109 (3-in-1 Pirate Ship) in the Creator theme. She is captained by a Scottish fellow named Albert McCartney (nicknamed McCartney the Green for the color of his ship and clothes), a former (fictional!) privateer turned pirate. Some parts are missing, as the plastic pirate flag from Ninjago, 12 lattice window pieces, etc. And yes, the name of the ship and it's Captain are both Paul McCartney references. (The Mull of Kintyre and Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey songs along with their creator's last name inspired the names of the ship and it's captain.) This MOD was also inspired by this very similar model by Eurobricks user @Wurger49.

50437825408_7ee3ee0dab_z.jpg

The name of the ship is supposed to go on the back of the captain's cabin spelled out in 1 x 1 printed tiles, located just below the flag pole.

50437825438_449bf59dac_z.jpg

The Captain's cabin has a desk and chair.

50437825458_4a4df16d10_z.jpg

Eight cannons are ready for firing on the Kintyre. It was said by the trappers that last saw the Kintyre afloat that one or two cannons were pushed overboard to make the ship more buoyant. (Most likely against the weight of the treasure they had just stolen from the Spanish ship in Florida.) Excavations for enlarging the port of Savannah in the 1970's found two such cannons buried under two hundred year of ocean silt. These were confirmed by the proper authorities to be of the same age and type used by the English Navy around the time of Kintyre's construction in 1699. The only question remains is this: where is the rest of the ship and it's treasure?

Questions comments, and complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Looks great! I like how the gun ports are now evenly spaced. I would recommend have 3 different heights for the masks, I had to use the bath tub piece for the main mast in my mod to achieve that, but you have a lot more freedom in LDD. 

I am also trying to make the forecastle bigger, which I should complete today with the spare parts. 

Ideally, the poop deck should also be deeper, but it’s a bit too hard to mod that one.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:11 PM, Wurger49 said:

Looks great! I like how the gun ports are now evenly spaced. I would recommend have 3 different heights for the masks, I had to use the bath tub piece for the main mast in my mod to achieve that, but you have a lot more freedom in LDD. 

I am also trying to make the forecastle bigger, which I should complete today with the spare parts. 

Ideally, the poop deck should also be deeper, but it’s a bit too hard to mod that one.

Just updated the first post with different mast heights. Hope you like it @Wurger49!

On 6/14/2020 at 10:18 AM, Fraunces said:

Looks nice. Would like to see it in real bricks.

Sorry to disappoint you @Fraunces, but this model is in the line up for building "someday", but that may change to to "sooner rather than later"... if I had more spare cash that is! :pir_tong2:

On 6/27/2020 at 7:29 PM, JorstadDesigns said:

That sail design is a sneaky way to overcome a lack of cloth sails, it looks good!

Thanks you @JorstadDesigns! I just added full, billowing (yet slightly smaller than ones above them) sails to the bottom setup whereas before they were furled. How does it look now, better or worse?

I also added bigger sails to fore and aft sails. (the triangle shaped ones that I'm not too sure one the name of!) If anyone can give me the proper names, please do!

Edited by Murdoch17

4 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

the triangle shaped ones that I'm not too sure one the name of!

The one at the rear would usually be a jib, and the bottom arm coming off the mast to support it is the jib boom. The one at the front would usually be a lateen, or a bow sail, and the arm extending from the bow to support it is the bowsprit.

That's a very nice boat. The green is unusual, but I like it.

14 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Just updated the first post with different mast heights. Hope you like it @Wurger49!

Sorry to disappoint you @Fraunces, but this model is in the line up for building "someday", but that may change to to "sooner rather than later"... if I had more spare cash that is! :pir_tong2:

Thanks you @JorstadDesigns! I just added full, billowing (yet slightly smaller than ones above them) sails to the bottom setup whereas before they were furled. How does it look now, better or worse?

I also added bigger sails to fore and aft sails. (the triangle shaped ones that I'm not too sure one the name of!) If anyone can give me the proper names, please do!

Thank you, I do like the changes, I have also made a 3 major revisions to my June MOD.

The traingular sail that is above the sprit topmast is called a jib. The triangular sail on the mizzen-mast is called a staysail, which real ships don't use on the aftmost mast, they carry a gaff rig sail called spanker.