Then I realized, that this chassis behaves really well, and started thinking about it as about my new Overland Expedition (or Kostky Trophy) truck. (later I got reminded, that buggy motor is quite hungry, so it can not be used in this kind of event. But, with bigger battery... Have to try.)
So, next step was the body.

You can see that I experimented with new tire-rim combo. Too heavy, but not bad.
And then I finally bought Buwizz. Laziness and worries about custom RC recievers and batteries won. (hope that not for all times :D)

I also installed LEDs to the truck. And bought new tires.

And finally, last week I took it outside.

Hope you like it. :)
More upgrades are slowly on the way. ;)

Edited by HorcikDesigns

@lmdesigner42 Thank you. :) The headlights on last iteration of the MOC (from video) are covered with Train Light Prism 1 x 3 (4171),  that are put by their round end to the half-liftarm. It is really nice and useful part.

7147.png https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4171#T=C&C=12

On the oldest iteration are they built with TrClear plates, second iteration got 1×2 TrClear bricks or plates.

@suffocation Thanks! They are my most favourite original LEGO tires in this scale (76-85mm) by look. Performance in terrain is mostly poor, but for rough concrete or dirt it is sufficient. However, the third party tires used on latest (not last) iteration.

It looks great

The performance is overall great ( I don’t know if anything could be done with the wheels slipping)

40 minutes ago, AMX said:

It looks great

The performance is overall great ( I don’t know if anything could be done with the wheels slipping)

Thanks! Wheels spinninning is sign of wrong tire tread for the current terrain and torque excess. :pir-blush: Sometimes also non-ideal weight distribution. 

Edited by HorcikDesigns

I had some fun outside with this offroader again, now with Fischertechnik tires and custom 3D printed rims. Later, I also had "fun" with stud.io. 

Hope you like it. ?

Edited by HorcikDesigns

This is cool!
I like how the gray and orange color combination.
Wonder how does it looks with the Landrover wheels!

Edited by SamuelYsc
e

26 minutes ago, SamuelYsc said:

This is cool!
I like how the gray and orange color combination.
Wonder how does it looks with the Landrover wheels!

Thanks! With LR wheels it looks interesting, but slightly too narrow

New video  and photos with the buggymotor version and instructions for doubble L motor version. ;) Enjoy!

More photos: https://bricksafe.com/pages/horcikdesigns/exp.suv

L motor version: 

Instructions: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-53855/Horcikdesigns/pdf-sporty-suv/#details

Great job with this MOC. I am impressed with the proportions and the design so much, that I am inspired to make something similar. I even purchased a set of the LESU Tires last night for my attempt.

As I studied this design a little more, I wondered how well the front suspension design has worked. I have had good success with the floating live axle independent suspension, but I have not tried it with the new Planetary hubs. The new male CV joints that connects to these hubs have quite a lot of friction compared to the previous male CV joints. The older CV joints allows for the axle to slide a little more, helping with the axles to stay connected to the internal differential 12 tooth gears.

Do you find that the new male CV joints pull the axle out of the 12 tooth differential gears more often? Or does this design not have the problem of the gears disconnecting from the axle in the front axle?

Thanks! I am glad that my work inspired you, I really look forward to your MOC.

The front suspension works good in terms of reliability of axle-diffgear connection, I have not yet experienced any malfunction.
 Angles are very small here, so the circular movement of end-point on the CV joint ball (around the steering arm to body attachment axis) and circular movement of the diff axle axis (around the torqueball), could be both approximated to linear motion, sinx=x, etc, so the distance that the axle travels in the diff gear is almost negligible. (practical mech. engineering happens here ... but pi=pi and not 3) :grin:

Back on topic - Maybe it behaves even better (in comparison with the old CV joints), because the old had 0,5L gap on the end of their axle hole, while the new don't, so the axle do not have possibility to slide to that gap instead the axle hole in 12t gear wheel in the diff.

Thanks for the response. I confess, I have not worked with enough mockups of the system with the new CV parts to truly try it out what I perceive are issues to the suspension design. I am happy that you have not had any reliability issues with the front suspension. 

I'll keep building, and I'll let you know about the final design.

Again, well done.

You're welcome. 

Speaking about front axle, it reminds me that I modified it to have slightly more realistic suspension (positive caster angle), but any progress in handling was not observed. 

800x601.jpg