Wurger49

[MOD] 31109 Creator Pirate Ship MOD of Combining 2 Sets

3 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

If you're willing to make small changes, my only advice (to echo others) would be sail alterations - namely, heightening the fore mast a bit, the main mast more, and then adding additional yards to both. Ships with a full level rig weren't really introduced until the 19th Century (clipper ships, for example, had all masts of roughly equal height). Introducing significant variations in mast height would make this look more like its own creation.

Now, as you said, this would likely require redesigning the masts a fair amount, but it probably wouldn't be more than about $10 USD on Bricklink to accomplish this.

Thank you for the historical background too, the half barrel also needs to go with the hoses. Will play around with it and wait for the next BrickLink run.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:01 PM, Wurger49 said:

The masts of the ship is made with technic round connectors and axels, held in place with ziplines vertically and horizontally. As those hoses are set length, it's very difficult to lengthend the mast as they become wobbly. The only way around it is to use custom rigging, but I quite like how Lego implemented the ziplines instead of their normal shrouds. 

I've build the MOC your bricks version and found that has the same issue. The long masts are wobbly, especially the main one. Was thinking of using round 2x2 bricks (e.g. Barracuda bay style) instead of the round technic connectors, but that seems to be too think at first glance. Maybe a combination of a big boat mast piece (part 48002a) topped of with the round technic connectors would work better. I don't have the parts available right now, so can't test to see if that works. Just a thought.

3 hours ago, Verodin said:

I've build the MOC your bricks version and found that has the same issue. The long masts are wobbly, especially the main one. Was thinking of using round 2x2 bricks (e.g. Barracuda bay style) instead of the round technic connectors, but that seems to be too think at first glance. Maybe a combination of a big boat mast piece (part 48002a) topped of with the round technic connectors would work better. I don't have the parts available right now, so can't test to see if that works. Just a thought.

Thank you the for suggestion, using the special mast pieces will solve the mast height problem, I didn't enjoy connecting all those round bricks when I was making the Barracuda Bay, so yeah, special mast piece wins!

One thing to keep in mind is that brick sails are very heavy compared to cloth sails, I have seen some MODs' masting drooping forwards when they add to the brick sails without using the ziplines. 

In my MOD, I try to add to original designs, like cannons, plates, and grille pieces, while keeping the replacement pieces to a minimum, like using the brick sails and ziplines. The horizontal ziplines going from bow to stern are vital for stability of my mast designs. 

Back in September, as I was posting my version 3 and 4 of the Pirate Ship Mod on social media, Graham Hancock reached out to me from the awesome monthly LEGO magazine, Blocks (www.blocksmag.com). Graham asked if they can feature this build in the magazine, to be honest I was stocked! Initially I thought it was going to be a picture of my MOD with a reference, a few weeks after doing an email Q&A, Graham told me my answers and pics will be featured on Issue 73. I was flattered for the recognition and really pleased with how well Graham put together this 2-page feature. Big thanks to Graham for reaching out to me!

50599912496_cf0476095c_c.jpgMOD article from Blocks Magazine by R Y, on Flickr

In the meantime, I have seen other great MODs for the 31109 from fellow members of LEGO Pirates groups, I decided to progress my build to version 5, a larger topsail with a main topgallant sail on a taller main mast. @SteamSewnEmpire @Verodin @Corydoras

The topsail was heightened by 2 studs and widened by 4 studs, so there are 5 pieces of white curved panels at the bottom of the sail. Ideally, I needed 2 pieces of white plate 2 x 16, but only 1 was available, so I substituted that with 3 shorter plates. The side edges of the sail were completed by using white wedge plates 4 x 2. The skull and crossbones moved down the sail by 1 stud. The main topsail yard was moved upwards to accommodate the larger sail.

I used the same technique to connect the topgallant yard as LEGO did for the topsail yards. 3 white curved panels were used for the topgallant sail. I simplified how the spanker yard is attached to the mizzen mast, by using only a pin connector plate and a hinge plate.

The main mast started to sag with the extra weight of the plates, I had to rest the topsail on the mainsail yard to balance out the mast. I now appreciate why LEGO didn’t include bigger sails in the original build, they are just too heavy for standard technic pieces.

50599166308_3b2bfefc6e_c.jpgPort View by R Y, on Flickr

50600027917_46a7dbec06_c.jpgBow by R Y, on Flickr

50599912396_d2a96270ef_c.jpgStern Port by R Y, on Flickr

50599166248_5273021d7a_c.jpgSails by R Y, on Flickr

50600027732_409edbccb2_c.jpgStern Starboard by R Y, on Flickr

Edited by Wurger49

21 hours ago, Corydoras said:

Still not a fan of it, as it looks hilariously long to me, more like a train than a ship.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:59 AM, Corydoras said:

I'd start with extending the masts by at least 50%.

thank you for the feedback, I now see you are referring to the hull is too long, which won't change if I extend the masts. 

Nice work! I especially like how you changed some of the sails. The spanker(?) looks so much better now and the bigger topsail is a very good change, too.

Now about those jibs...  Maybe you could try an old white plane wing (wedge plate 7x12)?

16 hours ago, Rotbart said:

Nice work! I especially like how you changed some of the sails. The spanker(?) looks so much better now and the bigger topsail is a very good change, too.

Now about those jibs...  Maybe you could try an old white plane wing (wedge plate 7x12)?

thank you, wow, that is indeed an old piece, I didn't even know it existed, it's great as it slopes on both sides. I will keep it in mind when I do my next bricklink order. 

This is a great thread! I love your gradual development of the ship, taking it step by step further. I love reading stuff like this.

As for the fragile masts; I bricklinked the old fashioned one piece riggings from the earlier ship sets; 27x5 long (part 2541 on Bricklink). With one on each side of the mast, it offer a lot of extra sturdiness. They also reach up a bit higher (about 2 connectors higher).

I am still experimenting with them, for example not sure if I mind the top bit sticking up loose. All it took is replacing the bar plate at the top with a vertical clip plate to snap onto the vertical bars of the rigging.

I might have to bring out the bottom clips that are now flush with the hull one stud further (on a plate) to remove the S-bent in the rigging, but I'll need to see it all with sails before I decide on that.

I like these rigging pieces because unlike the rubber strips that came with the set, they can be used to pose figures.

50959139352_74d2d44c18_c.jpgThe Briney Brick 39: a ship taking shape 3 by

Jan Kusters, on Flickr

The goal is not not a perfect model ship. I have to keep reminding myself that I am 'playing'. And in a way, especially this 31109 set looks a lot like several rather rough, sailor made ship models I have seen in museums.

Edited by jan kusters
checking the image

On 2/23/2021 at 7:16 AM, jan kusters said:

This is a great thread! I love your gradual development of the ship, taking it step by step further. I love reading stuff like this.

As for the fragile masts; I bricklinked the old fashioned one piece riggings from the earlier ship sets; 27x5 long (part 2541 on Bricklink). With one on each side of the mast, it offer a lot of extra sturdiness. They also reach up a bit higher (about 2 connectors higher).

I am still experimenting with them, for example not sure if I mind the top bit sticking up loose. All it took is replacing the bar plate at the top with a vertical clip plate to snap onto the vertical bars of the rigging.

I might have to bring out the bottom clips that are now flush with the hull one stud further (on a plate) to remove the S-bent in the rigging, but I'll need to see it all with sails before I decide on that.

I like these rigging pieces because unlike the rubber strips that came with the set, they can be used to pose figures.

50959139352_74d2d44c18_c.jpgThe Briney Brick 39: a ship taking shape 3 by

Jan Kusters, on Flickr

The goal is not not a perfect model ship. I have to keep reminding myself that I am 'playing'. And in a way, especially this 31109 set looks a lot like several rather rough, sailor made ship models I have seen in museums.

thank you, I like how you did the beach drydock! 

6 hours ago, Wurger49 said:

thank you, I like how you did the beach drydock! 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

This is worthy of it's on topic! :thumbup:

Thank you very much!

I should probably do that, I wouldlike to tell the full story of the briney brick. But I also want to have some sort of finished ship before I begin such a thread... Getting close to that point now.

6 hours ago, jan kusters said:

I should probably do that, I wouldlike to tell the full story of the briney brick. But I also want to have some sort of finished ship before I begin such a thread... Getting close to that point now.

Excellent! We are looking forward to seeing the finished ship!