zephyr1934

Building LEGO Trains book

I was looking through the 2020 line of Lego sets at Brickset and stumbled upon a new train book that appears to be officially sanctioned.

ISBN1718500483-1.jpg?202002090120

The description on Amazon says,

"Step by step, fully-illustrated building instructions for seven LEGO train models including a coal gondola, milk tanker, open hopper, depressed flatcar, passenger coach, powered box car, and diesel locomotive. Design alternatives suggest ways to customize the train cars, improve an existing LEGO train collection, or even pair the models in this book with an official LEGO train set."

and lists a Sept 22nd release date

Hmm, quite interested in this.  I don’t know much about lego trains, but want to add them to by currently virtual, but eventually real logo town and seaside resort.  After all, that’s how seaside resorts got popular, the summer trains - right?

Interesting. The loco on the cover appears to be Lego standard 6 wide. I wonder if they'll make use of power functions or powered up. Old train wheel holders with metal axles or the new plastic stub axle affair? If this is officially sanctioned it could spell interesting things depending on how well it sells. Pre ordered it anyway. 

I've been watching this as well.  I also wondered if they were 6 or 8 wide.  I'm going to get the printed version for sure.

Very nice find! Just pre-ordered one, expected in October. Hope it won't be cancelled, we have seen that before.

I feel really embarrassed now to admit that I’ve known about this for a couple of months . . . Guess I just assumed one of the many train fans on here would have mentioned it already.

Anyway, moving on quickly.  I’m definitely looking forward to it for the MOCs, even if only as a base model from which to expand considering it’s 6 wide judging by the cover. I’m  hoping that it doesn’t get cancelled like @JopieK mentioned books have in the past - by the way which books have?

Edited by Vilhelm22

It was a book by Klaus Kiunke (Bluebrixx): Eisenbahnen aus Noppensteinen. It did not just use LEGO bricks only b.t.w. (1000steine, German spoken site: https://www.1000steine.de/de/gemeinschaft/forum/?entry=1&id=424384#id424384, just ignore the discussion on LEGO vs. other bricks ;)). I tried to get it through Amazon but it was cancelled there, here it still says "expected": https://www.edition-lempertz.de/Eisenbahnen+aus+Noppensteinen.htm but it has been so long that I don't expect it anymore.

On 6/12/2020 at 12:41 PM, JopieK said:

It was a book by Klaus Kiunke (Bluebrixx): Eisenbahnen aus Noppensteinen. It did not just use LEGO bricks only b.t.w. (1000steine, German spoken site: https://www.1000steine.de/de/gemeinschaft/forum/?entry=1&id=424384#id424384, just ignore the discussion on LEGO vs. other bricks ;)). I tried to get it through Amazon but it was cancelled there, here it still says "expected": https://www.edition-lempertz.de/Eisenbahnen+aus+Noppensteinen.htm but it has been so long that I don't expect it anymore.

While the old one about Lego vs. other brands is one thing, I feel like it should be mentioned that Bluebrixx as a company is facing one lawsuit after another for selling sets with pirated licences or knock-offs, and 'sets' that are basically stolen MOCs. What I read on the german forums the quality also seems to be far below that of Lego or other brands, but I think one should know about this kinda stuff before spending money.

That being said, really interested in the book! Already bought one from Holger Matthes and it's a nice read, even though outdated.

Of course, everyone in Train Tech should have the @HoMa book in their bookshelf. I have too, also some model railroad books and the LEGO Neighborhood books 1 and 2.

I din't know that about Bluebrixx, that explains why I was attacked by that one guy at 1000steine at least ;)

Bluebrixx is not the same thing as Bluebrick the track designer program for those confused like me.

On 6/12/2020 at 8:41 PM, JopieK said:

Did anyone try to get it from www.lehman.de ? As far as my understanding of the 100steine thread goes, it is available for order there, but others speculated if it wasn't available from the publisher then www.lehman.de will probably not be able to deliver.

4 hours ago, peterab said:

Did anyone try to get it from www.lehman.de ? As far as my understanding of the 100steine thread goes, it is available for order there, but others speculated if it wasn't available from the publisher then www.lehman.de will probably not be able to deliver.

Hei, you are right, Lampertz still lists it as "expected". The Lehman.de Homepage is not available, can you please double-check the given address?

What makes me wonder is the fact that Klaus Kiunke is named as the author, although all of the Bluebrixx-Trains are designed by someone else. Don't know what to think about that.

BTW:

BB Quality is of course not TLC's, but some of the parts a quite good.

Red train buffers e.g. are pretty nice and VERY close to TLC Quality. Same for the red train- baseplates 6x28, which are ridiculous expensive on the aftermarket. One thing you can really see is, that they try to improve quality. Despite that, they also come along with moulds that we probably will never see again from TLC (e.g. train windows 1x4x3 in tan, dk.-red, dk.-green and other colours).

Given that, it just feels like we got the old story of the two-sided medal here again.

8 hours ago, peterab said:

They indeed said it should be available here (https://www.lehmanns.de/shop/sachbuch-ratgeber/46201152-9783960583080-eisenbahnen-aus-noppensteinen) but I did not try it, my Amazon.de order was cancelled a long time ago already. 

33 minutes ago, JopieK said:

They indeed said it should be available here (https://www.lehmanns.de/shop/sachbuch-ratgeber/46201152-9783960583080-eisenbahnen-aus-noppensteinen) but I did not try it, my Amazon.de order was cancelled a long time ago already. 

Oh, I see what the problem was. It is written with double-n (Lehmann, not Lehman) at the end. So now I was able to find the site :-)

In the detail it's said that the book was first published 28.06.2019. Strange that no one has seen it yet in real life?!?

On 6/15/2020 at 1:30 AM, BrickMusher said:

Oh, I see what the problem was. It is written with double-n (Lehmann, not Lehman) at the end. So now I was able to find the site :-)

Ah sorry about that, I should have cut and paste instead of writing from memory. German is my second language and spelling isn't my forte :-)

On 6/11/2020 at 5:44 PM, zephyr1934 said:

I was looking through the 2020 line of Lego sets at Brickset and stumbled upon a new train book that appears to be officially sanctioned.

ISBN1718500483-1.jpg?202002090120

The description on Amazon says,

"Step by step, fully-illustrated building instructions for seven LEGO train models including a coal gondola, milk tanker, open hopper, depressed flatcar, passenger coach, powered box car, and diesel locomotive. Design alternatives suggest ways to customize the train cars, improve an existing LEGO train collection, or even pair the models in this book with an official LEGO train set."

and lists a Sept 22nd release date

Very cool book. What a pity that now I have very little time for my favorite hobby. For me, writing is a really difficult task. I'm not sure how to put that in writing style. That's why I found that I couldn't do things on my own when I had to develop anything. Finding phd proposal help was my saving grace. I completed everything on schedule and had an excellent outcome.

Edited by CarloDavis