Haddock51

My Own Lego World

17 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

Zephyr1934, it's not so easy to answer your questions. Since all my motors are still in operation - i.e. no experienced end of lifetime - the question remains open, at least from my side. 

I don't run my trains for several hours in a row, for several reasons. I have not seen any extra wear due to running multiple motors at one time. The higher current is irrelevant in this context because 9V motors pick up just so much current for what is needed. No extra wear due to inclines because I use many motors based on the total train weight, thereby avoiding overload. This can easily be verified by checking motor temperatures, and so far I haven't experienced any overheated motors.

I think your answer is an excellent one. It sounds like with the right operation the 9v motors can have a very long lifetime. Do you have personal guidelines that you follow, e.g., for every N cars add a motor, make sure there is a power connection every M track segments, or do not run a given locomotive longer than T min/hrs without a break?

I ask because with the FX Track I am dusting off my 9v equipment. I still have many 9v motors new in box and like most people who use 9v I want to make sure I keep the motors healthy and happy.

My longest and heaviest train, the Swedish iron ore train with a Dm3 locomotive ,24 wagons and a total weight of approximately 10 kg, has 13 9V motors which gives an average weight of close to 800 g per motor. My recommendation would be not to exceed 1 kg per motor.

In the early planning phase, I was recommended to mount power connections every 5 m. Given the inclines - and based on initial testing - the track segments between the power connections are somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 meters.

When it comes to recommended running times, my suggestion would be that you regularly, e.g. every 10 - 15 minutes - check if your motors are getting warm/overheated.

Yes, with FX Track the 9V system will  experience a renaissance, most likely with significant price increases on already very expensive 9V motors. Is there any 3rd party supplier considering producing own 9V motors?

Edited by Haddock51

20 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

My longest and heaviest train, the Swedish iron ore train with a Dm3 locomotive ,24 wagons and a total weight of approximately 10 kg, has 13 9V motors which gives an average weight of close to 800 g per motor. My recommendation would be not to exceed 1 kg per motor.

In the early planning phase, I was recommended to mount power connections every 5 m. Given the inclines - and based on initial testing - the track segments between the power connections are somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 meters.

When it comes to recommended running times, my suggestion would be that you regularly, e.g. every 10 - 15 minutes - check if your motors are getting warm/overheated.

Yes, with FX Track the 9V system will  experience a renaissance, most likely with significant price increases on already very expensive 9V motors. Is there any 3rd party supplier considering producing own 9V motors?

fx may bring some new 9v motors to market other than that i dont think so unfortunately

Thanks for the operating insights!

22 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

Yes, FX has said that motors and power pickups are in the near to midterm plans. While I have no inside information, I'd speculate they might be available as early as some time next year. In the mean time, don't sell your existing motor supply since nothing is definite until possibly after it happens

On 10/7/2021 at 12:16 PM, Haddock51 said:

I just have a short answer to your burning question - it's hardly impossible to prevent dust build up on such a huge layout, particularly if you have two dogs... 

So the basic question is: how do you deal with dust?

As a matter of fact, I am right now in the process of getting mentally prepared to clean my entire Lego room, an exercise that will most likely  take several weeks. That includes cleaning approx. 300 meters (!) of 9V tracks with metal plates. This will require the use of a special cleaning waggon with a weight of almost 1 kg, pushed and pulled by 6 locomotives with 12 9V engines (!) This waggon is mandatory in those parts of the track that are out of reach - and there are many ...

51560978858_a01c7f84a1_b.jpg

51561658565_e9a1c314a7_b.jpg

Amazing, I wanted to build something similar (just because I think it's easier to have the rag driven over all rails than to manually scrub them) but thought it would be too difficult. Now that I think about it, a flatbed car from e.g. 4559 with a few coins to make it heavier and tension the rag would probably suffice! 

Then only the rail joints remain as tough-to-bulk-clean... 

If I had a permanent layout I'd consider building a dust-brush car with a PU-powered brush from the train wash 4553 to get debris off the rails and away from the 9v engines. Could be a nice endeavor into the technic world I have never stepped a foot in.

Impressive city I must say, pleasure to watch! 

To clean this room from dust has multiple dimensions:

1. The trains:

All trains in this room have a thin layer of dust on top. The most efficient way of cleaning is to use compressed air, eventually in combination with sprayed water (only on trains without stickers!) and a hair dryer. In addition, all wheels on all 9V motors will be cleaned with 70 percent rubbing alcohol.

2. The train shelves:

All train shelves, one by one, will be mounted on the track and cleared from trains. The shelves will be cleaned with a damp dishcloth. The rails will be cleaned manually with a slip block covered with cloth and moistened with 70 percent rubbing alcohol.

3. The track:

Dust must be taken off the track, preferably with a suitable vacuum cleaner that reaches out in all parts of the track. To get the dust and debris off the rails and away from the 9V motors with the help of a PU-powered brush from the train wash is simply not good enough!

Cleaning the rails is the most challenging exercise! The most efficient way of cleaning is manual cleaning, the same way like the rails on the shelves. This is applicable for all sections that are within reach. For sections out of reach, the special cleaning wagon mentionned before is required. The cleaning wagon must be run back and forth several times to achieve clean metal plates..

4.  My own Lego World:

All spaces and objects must be cleaned with a soft dustpan. Very time consuming ...

And finally the floor that needs to be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner.

Edited by Haddock51

14 hours ago, Sunil766 said:

Now that I think about it, a flatbed car from e.g. 4559 with a few coins to make it heavier and tension the rag would probably suffice! 

In order to achieve efficient cleaning of the metal plates, you need significant pressure against the rails which requires substantial weight on the car. A few coins will most likely not be enough.

Also keep in mind that this concept implies that the cleaning car basically is sliding on the rails. Make sure that the wheel flanges still have enough contact to maintain steering control.

PS:  Sunil766, you are from Switzerland, my country of birth. Have you seen my recent topic on the Glacier Express MOC? What do you think about it?

Edited by Haddock51

14 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

To clean this room from dust has multiple dimensions:

1. The trains:

All trains in this room have a thin layer of dust on top. The most efficient way of cleaning is to use compressed air, eventually in combination with sprayed water (only on trains without stickers!) and a hair dryer. In addition, all wheels on all 9V motors will be cleaned with 70 percent rubbing alcohol.

2. The train shelves:

All train shelves, one by one, will be mounted on the track and cleared from trains. The shelves will be cleaned with a damp dishcloth. The rails will be cleaned manually with a slip block covered with cloth and moistened with 70 percent rubbing alcohol.

3. The track:

Dust must be taken off the track, preferably with a suitable vacuum cleaner that reaches out in all parts of the track. To get the dust and debris off the rails and away from the 9V motors with the help of a PU-powered brush from the train wash is simply not good enough!

Cleaning the rails is the most challenging exercise! The most efficient way of cleaning is manual cleaning, the same way like the rails on the shelves. This is applicable for all sections that are within reach. For sections out of reach, the special cleaning wagon mentionned before is required. The cleaning wagon must be run back and forth several times to achieve clean metal plates..

4.  My own Lego World:

All spaces and objects must be cleaned with a soft dustpan. Very time consuming ...

And finally the floor that needs to be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner.

speaking of vacuum you could build a car with a small vacuum on it that could work (it does on model railways!)

On 10/13/2021 at 10:00 AM, Haddock51 said:

In order to achieve efficient cleaning of the metal plates, you need significant pressure against the rails which requires substantial weight on the car. A few coins will most likely not be enough.

Also keep in mind that this concept implies that the cleaning car basically is sliding on the rails. Make sure that the wheel flanges still have enough contact to maintain steering control.

PS:  Sunil766, you are from Switzerland, my country of birth. Have you seen my recent topic on the Glacier Express MOC? What do you think about it?

They way I think about it is the more weight applied on the car, the more wheel control is given back, compressing the rug that would otherwise lift the wheels up... 

I moved to Switzerland from DE, yes I saw your MOC, really professional and impressive. Seeing it and reading your posts I connected the dots that you must be from switzerland as well and thought about asking where you live to potentially see that lego project in person (if not too weird). However  you seem to be a cosmopolitan as well ;-) 

6 hours ago, Sunil766 said:

Seeing it and reading your posts I connected the dots that you must be from switzerland as well and thought about asking where you live to potentially see that lego project in person (if not too weird). However  you seem to be a cosmopolitan as well ;-) 

I live in Knivsta just north of Stockholm. Feel free to visit me next time you plan to visit Scandinavia!