Sign in to follow this  
LegoDW

Cargo train 60198 out of stock on S@H

Was looking at S@H and 60198 is showing as out of stock, no back order option.  The passenger train set 60197 does have a back order option.  Does this mean 60198 is out of production?  I hope not as wanted to get this set and were only in year 2 of the normal 4 year cycle for train releases.  Aware these are unusual time and there are more unknowns then usual.  Before pulling the trigger using a marked up 3rd party seller wondering if this set will be offered by TLG again.  Seams all Lego pricing is marked up currently due to low supply, prefer to wait till things calm down a bit but if its discontinued experience tell me to buy now.  

Appreciate you thoughts.  

5 minutes ago, LegoDW said:

Was looking at S@H and 60198 is showing as out of stock, no back order option.  The passenger train set 60197 does have a back order option.  Does this mean 60198 is out of production?  I hope not as wanted to get this set and were only in year 2 of the normal 4 year cycle for train releases.  Aware these are unusual time and there are more unknowns then usual.  Before pulling the trigger using a marked up 3rd party seller wondering if this set will be offered by TLG again.  Seams all Lego pricing is marked up currently due to low supply, prefer to wait till things calm down a bit but if its discontinued experience tell me to buy now.  

Appreciate you thoughts.  

No definitely not.  It’s literally just out of stock, not discontinued.  Others would know and it would have been mentioned elsewhere.  Plus, it’s in stock in the UK. Anyway, where I am it’s nearly always cheaper elsewhere - for City sets, I rarely buy straight from S@H.

On another note, it’s really good news in a way that it’s going out of stock - it shows TLG that there is still demand for trains, and that making more could be worth it.  The absence of any large station (7997, 7937, 60050) 2018 and red cargo/heavy haul trains 2019 equivalents really annoy me.

Sets go out of stock more often indeed. So no worries.

Yep, as others have said, its likely just out of stock. The lack of backorder is probably because of current conditions - they dont have an exact date for when new stock will arrive.

Lego usually puts out releases to fansites with lists of sets that are retiring soon, and they also usually add the tag "Retiring soon" to the product page.

Yesterday I happened to run into a lego train builder I know distantly. I mentioned the crocodile locomotive, which he never heard about nor seemed to care, but then he went on and said that it would be a banner year since Lego is coming out with two new city train sets and a HP train set. My first thought was no way, but now that I see this, my second thoughts are, hum... maybe. Maybe in the sense that the three existing sets all have the old RC/PF wheels. So maybe they are being released as "new" with the new wheels (one less part per wheel set) and new instructions. Perhaps new set numbers or v2 of the old set numbers.

Has anyone purchased a city train or an HP train and gotten the new wheels yet?

6 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Yesterday I happened to run into a lego train builder I know distantly. I mentioned the crocodile locomotive, which he never heard about nor seemed to care, but then he went on and said that it would be a banner year since Lego is coming out with two new city train sets and a HP train set. My first thought was no way, but now that I see this, my second thoughts are, hum... maybe. Maybe in the sense that the three existing sets all have the old RC/PF wheels. So maybe they are being released as "new" with the new wheels (one less part per wheel set) and new instructions. Perhaps new set numbers or v2 of the old set numbers.

Has anyone purchased a city train or an HP train and gotten the new wheels yet?

Hmmm...we aren’t do for new “City Trains until 2022 (history of city trains: 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018).

But the Harry Potter train comment has me thinking...what if the fall Harry Potter D2C set is a an expert Harry Potter train+like diagon alley...similar to last years Disney train+train station...

The current DC2 rumor is diagon alley for $399 with a September release. 

Edited by 24nolf

Yeah, I don't think we're getting totally new trains this year. All the 2nd half sets have been leaked, including City, and no new trains in there. Possibly they meant 1st quarter 2021? Not sure about a change in wheelsets - its possible...

Yes, I highly doubt there will be any truly new train sets in HP or city, but I was just musing how they might handle changing the wheel sets. When 60198 comes back in stock I bet it will have the new wheels... and a small chance that it might have a new number.

Ok, sounds like as I should pull the trigger now an purchase is I want the existing wheels.  Thank you all for your thoughts.

Just paid 135 euros for this set at Smyths Toys in Germany. Bargain. They have brilliant deals on lego.