NKubate

[B-models] 10265 - Classic Sportscars from the 1960's

After my 2 pick-up alternates, I returned to set 10265 twice more but this time to create 2 vehicles heavily inspired by iconic and classic sportscars from the 1960's in which Ford also played a key role, the GT40 and the Shelby Cobra which both fit perfectly with the 1967 Mustang.

First the GT40 famous for winning Lemans. The GT40 was first built in England, but the later version in the US.

49670422312_9ece30ce73_c.jpgGT04 main by Nathanael Kuipers, on Flickr

The model features working steering wheel, opening doors, and engine cover with an engine that can be removed and displayed separately.

49670136861_7a6bb40c00_c.jpgGT04 open by Nathanael Kuipers, on Flickr

Next is the Cobra Roadster, also a car that originated in the UK, but which Shelby with the help of Ford imported to the US. There it was equipped with a much larger engine that also required other changes to the chassis and suspension. I built this specific model for the TLCB Lock-down competition

49973594431_5fae150043_c.jpgCobra Roadster by Nathanael Kuipers, on Flickr

This was a tricky model to render in bricks due to all its curves.

49973076858_bcda620019_c.jpgCobra Roadster rear by Nathanael Kuipers, on Flickr

As with the GT40, this model features a working steering wheel and opening doors. Both front and rear open too.

49973854582_a09bee1f2d_c.jpgCobra Roadster open by Nathanael Kuipers, on Flickr

If you're interested to read more about the development or would like to see more pictures of either vehicle, please consider to have a look at my website NKubate.com. Thanks for looking!

Edited by NKubate

37 minutes ago, mindstormsboi said:

Really cool, did you post it as a MOC on Rebrickable yet?

Thanks, and yes, both models are on Rebrickable as well!

The Cobra is a fine looking model in itself. The fact that you made it out of a Mustang in one week is even more impressive. Well done :thumbup:

The GT40 is incredible!  And the Cobra ain't bad either!  I think the Cobra could use a little more rounding up front, but what can you really do at that scale?  I'd snap up both of these in a heartbeat if they were official sets available for purchase.

... and it may just be worth the Rebrickable/Bricklink effort.  :sweet:

Thank you! Sure if I had all the bricks in the world available, I could probably do a better job on the shaping of each car. But I like the challenge to stick with the parts from one set only. :classic: Makes it so much more interesting to me because it forces me to think creatively and use pieces in the most effective way..

Another great looking models, full stop. But considering limitations it is even more remarkable. I do have extra Mustang set so I guess it will be used to build one of this two.

Fantastic MOCS!  Your rebuilds are excellent and recognisable!  If I had a vast quantity of money I’d buy the set 3 more times to get each of your 3 MOCs!

I have built the Cobra a few months ago, and it's an excellent MOC. It's so well designed it feels like it's not even an alternate model, and the instructions are impeccable. The only downside with this creation is that it makes me want to buy a second 10265 so I can have the Mustang and the Cobra built at the same time.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:49 PM, emkra said:

Another great looking models, full stop. But considering limitations it is even more remarkable. I do have extra Mustang set so I guess it will be used to build one of this two.

The Mustang is a great set in itself. I just prefer to build my own models. It's really nice of you that you consider building one of these alternates! 

On 1/7/2021 at 10:42 PM, Leewan said:

I have built the Cobra a few months ago, and it's an excellent MOC. It's so well designed it feels like it's not even an alternate model, and the instructions are impeccable. The only downside with this creation is that it makes me want to buy a second 10265 so I can have the Mustang and the Cobra built at the same time.

Thanks you so much! Very nice to read you were so pleased with the Cobra and consider it almost an official set. I can also relate to your dilemma wanting to have more than one model on display at the same time, as I have bought multiple copies myself.