SteamSewnEmpire

Does anyone use decals instead of stickers?

I'd like to eventually build that CP loco and caboose, and it struck me that they're about the right size for O-scale decals. Has anyone had any luck using these on Lego parts, and would you mind sharing any photos? Did you need to cut the decals to fit your cars? Were there adhesive issues? 

I used some O-Scale Waterslide Decals several years ago when I built a PRR N8 Cabin Car for Cale. It took a little practice but they were not too bad to apply.

IMG_5723

I haven't asked how they've held up over the years, but I'd assume they should be ok.

I also saw someone on Flickr use some Dry Transfer decals where you had to sort of "scrub" them from one surface to another. I can't say anything about how easy it is or how well it holds up, but they looked great.

By "decals" I suppose you mean printed decoration. This guy always uses printed parts no matter what, and the stickers that come with his sets, well, he throws them out. I don't see what's the problem with them.

On 6/7/2020 at 6:59 PM, Daedalus304 said:

I used some O-Scale Waterslide Decals several years ago when I built a PRR N8 Cabin Car for Cale. It took a little practice but they were not too bad to apply.

I haven't asked how they've held up over the years, but I'd assume they should be ok.

I also saw someone on Flickr use some Dry Transfer decals where you had to sort of "scrub" them from one surface to another. I can't say anything about how easy it is or how well it holds up, but they looked great.

That looks really sharp.

Edited by Darkdragon
Please don't quote images

Those look great!!  Is it possible to make your own decals or dry transfer decals? I was just wondering if there was any printer products that could be used for such a purpose?

I'll answer my own question with this link: https://youtu.be/o0uvpCaRbbU

Edited by 1963maniac

16 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

Those look great!!  Is it possible to make your own decals or dry transfer decals? I was just wondering if there was any printer products that could be used for such a purpose?

I'll answer my own question with this link: https://youtu.be/o0uvpCaRbbU

There are also other third-party companies that make custom prints for you. This post has a list of them.

18 minutes ago, Modeltrainman said:

What's the difference between stickers, and decals?

It depends on who you ask but in my mind a "decal" is specifically when it is printed on something other than paper with a sticky backing. 

1 hour ago, Modeltrainman said:

What's the difference between stickers, and decals?

A decal is more like a paper/paint-ish substance that melts onto a model when dampened. A sticker, on the other hand, is a self-contained item usually made out of either paper or rubberized plastic.

Water slide decals for conventional O-gauge have a very thin substrate and they typically scratch very easily. If you are careful (or protect with clear coat) you might be okay.

I usually use a cling material (similar to colorforms if you are old enough to remember those) for my decals. You peel off the back like a sticker, but then apply with a bit of water, which lets you slide them around like decals to get the positioning just right. A nice feature is that you can also peel and reapply them if you need to.

Water slide decals should be fine if it is going to be a display-only model.  

Yup! As I model L&N exclusively, I have ordered numerous O and S scale Microtek water-slide decals. They are a bit delicate and they'd be destroyed if the model took a dive off show table. BUT, they've worked great for me. I use Micro-sol to help remove some air bubbles. I went water-slide as I didn't have to do any renders, find original files (didn't really exist for logos I was looking for), or futz with anything. I just ordered and applied. They hold up to handling and moderate use. I go back and slice the joints in case bricks separate.

Endless possibilities here: http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=MD

Anybody have links to inkjet printable "cling" paper or vinyl backer?

Waterslide transfers can be very easy to damage, even with a clearcote over the top. My feeling is that the finish on a LEGO brick is smoother than would typically be the case for a painted model so there is less for it to key to. I've used them on a couple of models, but you do need to exercise care when handling them.

I know a guy who uses O scale water slide ... They work great ... If you don't handle them too often or model doesn't ever come apart.  Based on his experience I wouldn't recommend using them if you pack them around for shows ... He tried a clear sealer and even clear packing tape ... They look ok but the vinyl decals are far superior in durability and handling ... If careful enough you can even "repair" a torn decal.

As far as paper based stickers ... I hate them they leave adhesive and generally degrade easily

On 6/8/2020 at 12:59 AM, Daedalus304 said:

Hello Daedalus, I need to speak to you about one of your models. My name is Bob and your can reach me at -email removed-. Thank you.

Edited by Peppermint_M
Removed email address