dmaclego

1:13 tracked excavator - Kobelco SK210 HLC

Wow, I didn't that many Teal colored pieces existed to make something this spectacular! What an impressive model!

6 hours ago, dmaclego said:

This is very true and your remark motivated me to take another photo of the model - this time just to ilustrate the scale :) :

Egads! Fortunately the Technic minifig is too small to operate the machine, he looks like he's up to something :laugh:

Absolute madman. This build is amazing, I especially love the custom made pneumatic cylinders. And it can move fast despite being such a massive behemoth....

While I knew these weird Scala Dolls existed, I didn't know they were so big? I always though they woult be like technic minifig size lol

Thank you all, guys.

4 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

While I knew these weird Scala Dolls existed, I didn't know they were so big? I always though they woult be like technic minifig size lol

So big and yet so classy - as someone noted, she's wearing boots to match the color of the machine ;) .

To reiterate what everyone else is saying, just wow. I love that this is in Kobelco blue-green; as an American that also has a hobby of photographing heavy equipment (when I'm not building/photographing LEGOs), I have lamented the weird obsession American heavy equipment companies have with yellow/orange equipment. I love seeing photos of the real-life versions of these sorts of excavators and this is beyond a perfect model of one.

yes this is incredible well done!

those custom parts are amazing. any photos of them being made in case any of us would like to copy :grin:

any photos of the internals? would love to see the winch solution (what a great idea!) and the 8 pumps setup etc.

Thank you again!

5 hours ago, blueshift12 said:

I have lamented the weird obsession American heavy equipment companies have with yellow/orange equipment.

Indeed, they are acting as if there were no other bright colors in the universe :) . What about neon green, for instance? Or lime, for that matter? I'd love to see a nice lime LEGO excavator.

4 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

custom parts are amazing. any photos of them being made in case any of us would like to copy

Well, I didn't make any photos during the "metal works" in my basement but I do have the second best thing: in comments section under the photo of my freshly painted cylinders you may a longish but detailed enough description of the production process; just follow this link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmaclego/40551517723/in/album-72157702173026262/

4 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

any photos of the internals? would love to see the winch solution (what a great idea!) and the 8 pumps setup etc.

Not much to show, I'm afraid - I very much neglected the documenting process during the 18 month work on this model. But I can tell you this: there are two compressors and each of them consists of 4 small pumps and a PF L motor, without any reduction - L motor is strong enough to handle 4 pumps. One compressor is for the bucket, the other one bends the arm. But when the whole arm is to be moved, they work together, one for each cylinder (let's call them "base cylinders"). Curiously, I had to create a separate pneumatic circuit for each of the base cylinders - even though they work together - because diameter of the pneumatic tubing (main suspect: T-piece;) ) proved to be a limiting factor when both compressors tried to pump air into single circuit. Even more curiously, I had to build a very strange controller with five PF remotes to harness this complicated setup (you may see it in the video).

The winch, on the other hand, is very simple. Initially I was sure a large linear actuator could act as a brake but as the arm got heavier, it tended to lock. So I went the more primitive way and used PF XL motor with extra reduction, worm gear and two pieces of a very sturdy string. The whole trick was in matching the speed of winch with capacity of the pneumatics to achieve a more or less smooth movement of the arm. All I can show you now is external pic of that mechanism, were you can see the worm gear and rubber tires providing some extra lift (they are not necessary but the system works better this way):

49987334731_d266e65154_h.jpg

Unreal work. When people say they don't liks system parts mixing with technic I never understood it. This is a clear example of why they work so well together

Thank you all so much!

On 6/10/2020 at 4:54 AM, SheldonF said:

When people say they don't liks system parts mixing with technic I never understood it.

Frankly, I don't get it either. I would use whatever part I see suitable to achieve more streamlined, realistic look. Does not matter if it's Technic, System or Duplo (see: Duplo caveman fur as driver's seat cover in my old model of DT-75 tractor - not my idea but I used it so gladly :) ).

The teal color here is lovely!  Great level of detail, I really like the carrot! :grin:

Add me to the list of those fooled by the pictures. I didn't realise until I read the first comment, scrolled back up, and then... *oh2*

Truly awe-inspiring work. :thumbup:

One more who thought first picture was to show how it should look like a diecast toy. Very nice manufactured pneumatics!

Thank you very much, guys. I'm really glad you like my model.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:27 PM, CrazyKreations said:

any future plans for this MOC

Oh, yes, I have a very detailed plan for it: it will sit in a cardboard box for months/years :) .

Then perhaps it will visit a LEGO event or two (for which I have no specific plans), then return to its box and patiently await that happy day when I acquire more space to exhibit and not just store my models. Sad but true ;) .

Just now, dmaclego said:

Thank you very much, guys. I'm really glad you like my model.

Oh, yes, I have a very detailed plan for it: it will sit in a cardboard box for months/years :) .

Then perhaps it will visit a LEGO event or two (for which I have no specific plans), then return to its box and patiently await that happy day when I acquire more space to exhibit and not just store my models. Sad but true ;) .

Hahahaha. A great sense of humour