Sign in to follow this  
AmperZand

Centaurs of the universe

I remember being thrilled when BrickForge came out with its centaur body and rushed to order some from the US. I had wanted to add LEGO centaurs to my collection for years.

Fast forward a good long time and LEGO has finally graced us with centaur equine parts of its own: the smaller, blue one from Trolls, and the very recently released HP one.

Below are all the centaurs from my display collection. I think I am right in saying that there are no other moulded centaur parts without cutting horses, so this represents all the uncut possibilities. 

The blue ones may seem odd but there is precedent. At least two Disney films have had blue or bluish-violet centaurs. Special thanks @Exetrius for correctly identifying the shade of the Trolls' centaur's body as medium blue back when it had not yet been released and the only pictures made it not obvious. Even though it is officially medium blue, it is not a perfect match. LEGO seems to be slipping in its colour consistency.

centaurs_small.jpg

Questions? Comments? Chironic concerns?

Great group! I would never have thought that someone could make me like the blue centaur bodies, but you made them work perfectly. Little buggers. I dont mind the other tone of blue as upper bodies of centaus often have different colors.

Also I think the hair you used for the brown one in the front is perfect. It looks very horsish and fits the mark on the forehead. Did you paint these strands? Or is this original?  Heck, I like that bit so much so much I am going to steal that idea. I have not bought any Brickforge centaurs yet, so maybe I'll buy some HP ones instead.

Putting those odd blue centaur bodies to good use I see! :thumbup: Thanks for the tag! 

Great group (or should we say herd?)! I found the Trolls centaur body too cartoony, but it does look good with the torso and accessories you chose!

On 6/7/2020 at 2:00 PM, Wardancer said:

Great group! I would never have thought that someone could make me like the blue centaur bodies, but you made them work perfectly. Little buggers. I dont mind the other tone of blue as upper bodies of centaus often have different colors.

Also I think the hair you used for the brown one in the front is perfect. It looks very horsish and fits the mark on the forehead. Did you paint these strands? Or is this original?  Heck, I like that bit so much so much I am going to steal that idea. I have not bought any Brickforge centaurs yet, so maybe I'll buy some HP ones instead.

Thanks for your kind words.

The novel use of bricks, i.e. using them in MOCs to represent things or function in a way other than LEGO intended, is well known in the AFOL community. There is a regular feature on it in Blocks Magazine for example. What is not as high profile is the use of minifigure parts not as LEGO planned. It's very easy to fall into the trap of only seeing minifigure parts one way - I make that mistake myself all the time! In the case of the blue centaur bodies, to stop myself making that error, I immediately put the upper body, i.e. the troll part, out of my mind. I tried not to look at images of it and only ordered the equine part. It helped to see the horse part in its own right and therefore its potential.

The dark brown hair used for the one in the front isn't painted. It's LEGO printing. It's actually Aquaman's hairpiece:

34316pb01.png

Link to it on BrickLink.

I had no trouble not thinking of it as Aquaman's. The Aquaman in my display collection has shortish, blonde hair. When I saw the images of the HP centaur, I immediately thought the Jason Momoa Aquaman hair would go better with it than the black hair it comes with. I realise that LEGO's HP centaur was made to resemble those in the film, but I am not particularly interested in HP and was just seeking to create cool, generic centaurs. 

Please feel free to pinch the idea. If you wouldn't mind giving me credit and linking to this thread if you post any pictures, I would be grateful.

On 6/7/2020 at 9:27 PM, Exetrius said:

Putting those odd blue centaur bodies to good use I see! :thumbup: Thanks for the tag! 

Not at all. Thanks for your help. :pir-huzzah2:

On 6/8/2020 at 1:31 PM, Aurore said:

Great group (or should we say herd?)! I found the Trolls centaur body too cartoony, but it does look good with the torso and accessories you chose!

Thanks for saying so. Appreciated. Sorry for not having responded to your reply in the other thread. I wanted to link to a picture of my latest MOC minifigures of CMF S20. There is one amongst them I think you would like. But I have not been able to create them all yet. One S20 CMF that I ordered online has taken over 3 weeks through the domestic postal system and still not arrived. Even allowing for delays due to the pandemic, that seems too long and I have resigned myself to the fact it has been lost/stolen. I will create the MOCs, post a picture and reply to your post as soon as I can. :wink:

Edited by AmperZand

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 2:36 PM, AmperZand said:

I wanted to link to a picture of my latest MOC minifigures of CMF S20. There is one amongst them I think you would like. But I have not been able to create them all yet. One S20 CMF that I ordered online has taken over 3 weeks through the domestic postal system and still not arrived. Even allowing for delays due to the pandemic, that seems too long and I have resigned myself to the fact it has been lost/stolen. I will create the MOCs, post a picture and reply to your post as soon as I can. :wink:

Oooh great, I'm looking forward to those!! :excited:
Let's hope you get your parts soon! Maybe your order is not entirely lost...I've had no news of one of my recent domestic orders for two months. When the sender investigated on his side, his postal office noticed the (very small) package had fallen under a machine and had been standing there since its deposit...

On 6/7/2020 at 4:24 AM, AmperZand said:

I remember being thrilled when BrickForge came out with its centaur body and rushed to order some from the US. I had wanted to add LEGO centaurs to my collection for years.

Questions? Comments? Chironic concerns?

Excellent figbarfing and while I also liked BF centaurs too, I never ordered them due to customs skyrocketing the price. I guess TLG (or BL) is going to grab my money instead

On 6/7/2020 at 4:00 PM, Wardancer said:

That makes two of us! Now let's place a Hercules Disney minifig next to them! :pir-wink:

Edited by blackdeathgr