Sign in to follow this  
Grover

Book 3 Challenge V Category C: Aftermath

The saga of Bob the unemployed Avalonian plumber continues...

Bob stood ankle deep in water and looked at the ruined fountain, thinking about how he had gotten to this point.  After he lost his job in Albion, he had gone from job to job, most recently fixing some ancient statue fountain in a cave in the middle of the woods.  Having burned through his money from that job (mostly on beer), he had heard that there was work fixing up a rich guy's house across the sea in Vuhlaer.. Vayeiley...  the place that sounded like it came from the Game of Thrones show that he had never gotten to finish after being stranded in this bizarre world.  He'd puked his guts out on the boat ride over from Avalonia, but was happy when he had seen that this place seemed to have more modern conveniences.  Of course, then all hell had broken loose and he found out these people were insane, murdering each other at the drop of a hat.  Those weird plants and monsters in Nocturnus had been less scary than this!  He made up his mind to try and get back to Avalonia, where it was a little more backward but he was less likely to be murdered in his sleep.

r2aUpQ2.jpg

A guard yelled at him, breaking him out of his reverie.  He didn't understand the language, but he had been in his line of work long enough to have heard it many times before and knew what it meant: "Back to work, we're not paying you to be lazy!"  He nodded and set back to work fixing the fountain.  At least this place didn't smell like bear poop.

tFXUBmY.jpg

Edited by Grover

Glad to see Bob back! His new colleagues seem to have fun too, having their pause right beside that grumpy guard... :laugh:

@Grover, you are so good at adding little details and touches of humour to your builds. 

:laugh:  The Amazon packages being delivered by a forestman are spot on. :tongue:

6 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

:laugh:  The Amazon packages being delivered by a forestman are spot on. :tongue:

I enjoy including those little anachronisms, and how else are they to get the replacement parts that they need during quarantine but Amazon? lol

14 hours ago, Aurore said:

Glad to see Bob back! His new colleagues seem to have fun too, having their pause right beside that grumpy guard... :laugh:

@Grover, you are so good at adding little details and touches of humour to your builds. 

I thought it would be amusing to include some construction workers taking a break in the background.  In hindsight, I'm thinking it might have been more amusing to make the workers some Dark Forestmen, but it's decent as is.  Glad you enjoy the little details and humor!  I always enjoy adding some subtle (and in this case not so subtle) scenes to the builds if I can. :laugh:

Ha!

Very good! I like the humour and you've made good use of various minifig heads with expressions to help bring it to life. I hope Bob charges time and a half for cleaning up that mess!

Best part of ending a challenge is your expected Aftermatch, Grover.
The Amazon boxes are simply hilarious. And I feel for Bob - Is he always the one called to clear all the mess? I think I've seen him around. Avalonia, perhaps...

Dude. I love this white-gold-tan color scheme, and the design of the staircase is beautiful. It looks like the curved fence pieces are landings for the spirals? Lovely. :wub:

And Bob's ongoing story is a great bit of humor. :pir-laugh: Even if it doesn't all quite fit the time period. :grin:

FYI, the story reads best as spoken by Epic Voice Guy over at Screen Junkies/Honest Trailers. :snicker:

Hahaha! Love this :grin: . Great colours overall and those olive green plants in the back work great

On 6/7/2020 at 2:37 AM, kahir88 said:

Again, this is just hilarious! :D

Ha ha!  Glad you liked it.  I always like blowing off some steam with a silly build at the end.

On 6/10/2020 at 3:38 PM, Basiliscus said:

Ha!

Very good! I like the humour and you've made good use of various minifig heads with expressions to help bring it to life. I hope Bob charges time and a half for cleaning up that mess!

Thank you!  Bob has been very sad to enter the medieval world when no one knows what OT is. :laugh:

On 6/11/2020 at 4:51 PM, Louis of Nutwood said:

Best part of ending a challenge is your expected Aftermatch, Grover.
The Amazon boxes are simply hilarious. And I feel for Bob - Is he always the one called to clear all the mess? I think I've seen him around. Avalonia, perhaps...

Thanks!  I like incorporating everyday life for us when we can.  It always makes a humorous juxtaposition with the distinctly medieval period.  As for Bob, he's usually left cleaning up the plumbing messes because no one else wants to do it!

On 6/11/2020 at 7:30 PM, Umbra-Manis said:

Love the anachronistic little touches in a very Historican build!

Thank you!  I enjoy throwing in those little anachronisms for the joke builds. :classic:

16 hours ago, (Luc)ky Luke said:

This is great! And I did not know those plant pieces where in olive green. 

Thanks!  Yeah, the plant pieces came in olive in the bookstore modular, but I ordered them (and the black ones) off B&P (element 6285465).  They were $0.15 USD each back in January.

9 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Dude. I love this white-gold-tan color scheme, and the design of the staircase is beautiful. It looks like the curved fence pieces are landings for the spirals? Lovely. :wub:

And Bob's ongoing story is a great bit of humor. :pir-laugh: Even if it doesn't all quite fit the time period. :grin:

FYI, the story reads best as spoken by Epic Voice Guy over at Screen Junkies/Honest Trailers. :snicker:

Thank you!  I had a lot of fun building it and working with my conspirators collaborators!  You can get some more pics at our collab build thread.  You are correct, the curved ornamented fence pieces (I bought these off B&P) are the landings for the spirals.  I wasn't sure how the spirals would look for a railing, but I think they did OK!

I enjoy writing Bob after the challenges.  He seems so out of place it's hilarious.  I love the idea of Epic Voice Guy reading it.  That would be hilarious!

8 hours ago, adde51 said:

Hahaha! Love this :grin: . Great colours overall and those olive green plants in the back work great

Thank you!  I got the idea for the olive green plants from @LittleJohn.

3 hours ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

Fun build. The scorched plants on the wall really add to the scene, excellent work. 

Thanks!  You can see the plants on fire over at the full thread.  I wanted to make some scorch marks on the wall but ran out of time.  C'est la vie!