GianCann

Pybricks: alternative firmware for Powered Up device

I bought an ASUS Bluetooth USB-stick V4. 0 USB-Bt400 inserted into the computer and everything worked :laugh:

Tcm0 was right, BLED112 doesn't work with chrome.

Lok24 thank you so much, I've been tormenting you all day.

Thanks for that  :cry2:

I think its important to clarify such things in Beta, giving the developers hints.

So: Everything fine! 

One (of the many) interesting things of Pybricks, is the support for custom sensor based on LEGO UART Messaging Protocol.
I start to play with the Color & Distance sensor to learn this protocol (and to implement for my sensor) and this is a result:

Okay guys, I am back in the game. Got myself a Spike Prime, so I have reopened the robot workshop. 

This topic looks interesting.

Indeed, with the four ports allowing for a decent number of motors and sensors, Pybricks appears to be a very good way to turn the Technic hub into a simplified (and cheaper) SPIKE.

On 6/22/2020 at 6:48 PM, Great Ball Pit said:

Looking forward to the City and Boost hub firmware becoming available!

https://code.pybricks.com has been updated.

Added:

• Support for City hub (note, requires Chrome 85 to flash firmware due to quirks in the City hub bootloader)
  • Changed firmware flashing packet size on City hub and Control+ hub (speeds up flash time)
  • Increased frequency of progress checks when flashing firmware (slows down flash time but should help prevent errors)
  • Firmware v3.0.0a4
    • Bluetooth support on City hub
    • Fixed sensor ID issue on City hub
    • WeDo 2.0 sensor support
    • Fixed Move hub motor polarity
    • Enabled builtin help and input functions
    • Enabled urandom module

Another sample of what is possible to do with Pybricks, without any other type device.

Only the Hub and the motor, and NO smartphone/tablet to control.

Hi @GianCann,

Nice work, just tested it! Thanks.

And I loaded it as a resident prog into the cityhub :thumbup:

Where did you get the information that 0a4 is released?

NOW, MOST IMPORTANT: Connect a handheld to the hub! Making the remote control of your MOCs completely unindependent from SmartDevices or any OS

Edited by Lok24

3 hours ago, Lok24 said:

NOW, MOST IMPORTANT: Connect a handheld to the hub! Making the remote control of your MOCs completely unindependent from SmartDevices or any OS

This is honestly the part I'm waiting for. I don't have much use for this without it, but that's a game changer. :)

6 hours ago, Lok24 said:

Where did you get the information that 0a4 is released?

GitHub repository ;)

6 hours ago, Lok24 said:

NOW, MOST IMPORTANT: Connect a handheld to the hub!

Each of us have a different needs and ideas.

For me, the very BIG THING of Pybrick is the (how I call it) "Autonomous Running Mode".

I'm waiting for a better BLE support useful to communicate with other devices, but I'm not interested on LEGO remote.

Can you tell me what do you want to do with the handheld?

5 hours ago, GianCann said:

Can you tell me what do you want to do with the handheld?

One problem that would be solved is the different behavior of the "city hub" with different motors and the remote control. Latest example: Crocodile train. The behavior with a non "simple motor" is different (not +/- 10% speed on each button press but -100%/0/100% speed while button is pressed), a customizable behavior that fits the needs and that does not depend on the used components would be nice.

Support of other gamepads would be even better :D

Just now, Gimmick said:

One problem that would be solved is the different behavior of the "city hub" with different motors and the remote control.

Ok, this is clear.

Just now, Gimmick said:

Support of other gamepads would be even better :D

Also this...

But isn't so simple, because these things needs to have a specialized GATT BLE service, each one.

In other words, many "lines" of code and with a limited memory size available, not all desired function is possible to have in Pybricks.

I think that between them, for the first one method there is a good chance to have it in the future, but not so soon.

Just FYI..

I wrote an article to introducing Pybricks to no-technician AFOLs

https://www.bricksandchips.it/2020/07/08/introduzione-a-pybricks-per-powered-up/

Note: you can read the article in your preferred language using the widget on the right side of the page.

If any of you have any suggestions, please email/PM me ;)

Thank you

7 hours ago, GianCann said:

GitHub repository ;)

Yes :wink:

But my question was not where to find but how did you get information that it is available?

7 hours ago, GianCann said:

Each of us have a different needs and ideas.

For me, the very BIG THING of Pybrick is the (how I call it) "Autonomous Running Mode".

No, this belongs together. And it's not "us".

There are in general two types of Mocs: Standing around (like haunted House, rollercoaster) or moving (trains, crawler, cars, robots).
And for the second category you always need some kind of remote control.

That migth be the LEGO handheld or some BT gamepad, but as a first a approach the handheld would solve many problems. A train with two motors, one in reverse mode: yes, load the prog resident, and then control with one  switch on the LEGO controller. You see what I mean?

BTW: yery good article, thanks for that!

Edited by Lok24

8 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

my question was not where to find but how did you get information that it is available?

I follow each new commit to the project, and for each commit there is also a new build even if not official announced.

10 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

A train with two motors, one in reverse mode: yes, load the prog resident, and then
control with one  switch on the LEGO controller. You see what I mean?

Yes, It's clear.

I think that support for generic gamepads will not work with 99% of the bluetooth gamepads, The hubs use BLE but most gamepads use BTC. The PUP remote however is another story since it uses BLE.

Just started some tests.

Sometimes connecting is difficult, obviously best way ist to turn off hub, start browser, clickk connect and then turn on hub.
Can anyone confirm probs with connecting

Second: when connecting two hubs code isn't running, cause one is city and one is cplus, so import for hub failes.
Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

Sometimes connecting is difficult

Yes, I can confirm. But isn't Pybricks related. It's a BLE "problem" (I hava same problems also with original firmware).

5 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

Second: when connecting two hubs code isn't running, cause one is city and one is cplus, so import for hub failes.
Is there a workaround?

Two hubs in the same time, but in different Chrome windows?

Can you explain better?

10 minutes ago, GianCann said:

Two hubs in the same time, but in different Chrome windows?Can you explain better?

I can try.....

One Chrome, connect one hub, then click again on "connect BT", and turn on second hub, you then get displayed both, with their MAC-Addresses, one already paired. And then you can connect the second.

20 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

One Chrome, connect one hub, then click again on "connect BT",

Impossible... when the hub is connected to Chrome, the Bluetooth button change his function to "Disconnect from hub".

20 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

you then get displayed both, with their MAC-Addresses, one already paired.

Paired not mean that the hub is "controlled" by code.pybricks.com

Read here: https://github.com/pybricks/support/issues/49

@Lok24 read also here: https://github.com/pybricks/support/issues/74

Edited by GianCann

5 minutes ago, GianCann said:

Impossible... when the hub is connected to Chrome, che Bluetooth button change his function to "Disconnect from hub".

Ok, then I was wrong, the text is "disconect", but the button stays aktiv, look here

pybricksKoppeln.jpg

In other words, as a question: is it possible to use multiple hubs with one program?

I think that @Tcm0 mentioned somthing like that, but i may be wrong.