Matteo

60197: poweredUP not connecting

Hi everybody!

I recently got a lego city passenger train (60197) for my son but we have a problem when connecting hub and controller. Basically it's almost impossible! Light blinks white (should means hub and controller are searching for each other) but they fail every time. Batteries are fresh new for both.

I tried resetting both so many times but it does not change. If I connect hub and/or controller with the Android app they both connect very easily! In this case both have blue light and I can control train only with app and not with remote!

What could be the problem??

Thank you!

Matteo

Do you have only one hub?

In this case, try to force a new firmware update: push the power butto until the led light become purple. Then, start the App e try ti connect to him.

When the LED change color, release the button.

Make this operation without any motors connected.

Just tried your solution, updated firmware with no problems, reconnected motor, tried to connect but still nothing! 

Controller is fw upgradable too? 

5 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Controller is fw upgradable too? 

No.

Try removing the battery, push the power button, and reinsert the battery again.

You can also test to see if the remote will connect to the PU App on your smartdevice.  It should show up with the name "Handset" in the PU App Connect screen.   That can rule out the remote's bluetooth radio not working.

It could be a device compatibility issue, just like I'm having with the 17101 hub (which Lego devs later proved true via email). You can contact them at lego.com/service and explain your problem, and they'll provide a replacement remote. For free :wink:

9 hours ago, dr_spock said:

You can also test to see if the remote will connect to the PU App on your smartdevice.  It should show up with the name "Handset" in the PU App Connect screen.   That can rule out the remote's bluetooth radio not working.

The remote is connecting to the app, recognized as "handset...", so it's radio should be OK. 

I’ve had similar troubles before. One thing that’s worked for me is to press the button on both at the same time while they’re both already blinking. I do this repeatedly, once a second, until they connect.

Did you, at any point, try to connect the hub over bluetooth to your phone or computer?
If so open BT on that device and click forget of the connection.

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

3 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

I’ve had similar troubles before. One thing that’s worked for me is to press the button on both at the same time while they’re both already blinking. I do this repeatedly, once a second, until they connect.

I tried for something like 5 minutes but it does not work!! 

3 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Did you, at any point, try to connect the hub over bluetooth to your phone or computer?

I just connected hub and controller with PU app. On BT devices in my phone there are not lego items... 

13 hours ago, GianCann said:

it's a very strange behavior...

@Matteo you are italian like me. Tomorrow contact me via PM, to try with other test.

I can't send PM!! 

3 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Powered Up uses BLE instead of Bluetooth classic, what you describe is a typical Bluetooth classic procedure.

@Matteo When another peripheral is connected to your remote it won't be seen by your Powered Up HUB so really make sure there are no other devices (I don't think that is the problem, but you can check). After 10 posts at Eurobricks you can use the PM.

4 minutes ago, JopieK said:

Powered Up uses BLE instead of Bluetooth classic, what you describe is a typical Bluetooth classic procedure.

That's not what I mentioned.
problem here is that people have sometimes the idea that the hub should first be connected to the phone.
this just because it is the normal way how you handle BT devices.
(and even the EV3 and Spike have to be connected this way first)

But Boost, PU and Tech hubs however must NOT be connected this way, the app does that automatically for you.

But you made this mistake the phone and hub try to connect everytime they "see" eachother and at that point neither the controller or app will work correct.
So IF you ever made this mistake make sure you delete this connection from your phone so it will no longer mess up things.

EV3 does only support Bluetooth Classic, that is why. Spike also supports Bluetooth classic as far as I know (but also BLE). What you describe is Bluetooth Classic, not BLE. Powered Up only supports BLE.

I never connected hub or remote in any way to my phone. I only used Lego app. 

So I don't think this is the problem. 

I also tried to switch off all BT devices, including phones, in my house but boring changed! 

I had the possibility to perform some tests with a working set of a friend of mine. He's got two sets, cargo and passengers. 

My remote was able to pair with his two hubs. 

My hub was not able to pair with any of his two remotes.

I guess problem is in the hub :)