Sign in to follow this  
Rijkvv

Deutz DG1200BBM locomotive

More than a year ago, I made a flat car. These cars are often used for Maintenance of Way. I needed a locomotive to pull them, and decided to go with the Deutz dieselhydraulic locomotive that's in use by Strukton, one of the three main Dutch railroad constructors. I visited the locomotive in real life to make pictures of it. The weather was meh and so were the pictures, but still decent enough to be useful for the build, and to spot details that I couldn't really find on the internet, like the top of the hood. Just like the flat car, this locomotive is built in scale 1:45.

49966983363_46db901d56_c.jpg

Deutz DG1200BBM by Rijk van Voorst, on Flickr

49966983313_6438eda486_c.jpg

Deutz DG1200BBM by Rijk van Voorst, on Flickr

Very nice, I instantly recognized the Strukton look before I saw your text.

Thanks guys! 

19 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Nice angling on the windows. Is the frame 8w?

Yes, it is. :classic:

Those are some really difficult curves you tackled there, amazing work. And use of the classic grill print is just icing on the cake.

Thanks again. And yes, getting on the front page was a pleasant surprise. :)

24 minutes ago, dalek daddy brickbuilder said:

when are builders like you ever going to give some sort of instruction for these creations for us less creative that want to build or at least a parts list to figure from

A quick google search should yield some results. I would try "custom LEGO train instructions"

2 hours ago, dalek daddy brickbuilder said:

when are builders like you ever going to give some sort of instruction for these creations for us less creative that want to build or at least a parts list to figure from

There are quite a number of people selling instructions actually. See the links in supertruper's signature for example.

Not me though. It takes time to make instructions, time that I rather spend on trying to build something new. And I haven't made instructions ever before. Perhaps I could ask somebody else to do it for me, but I think instructions for this particular locomotive won't be very popular. It's a rare, not well-known industrial diesel shunter. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these locomotives barely drove on main lines at all. I doubt that will be appealing to many.
Then there's the structural integrity. I had realism in mind when I built this, but that means it's very fragile. If I would release instructions, I would like people to enjoy my model, not being frustrated by the fragility. Besides, the PF cables tend to push the top of the hood off. I already had to improvise to make it somewhat okay, but if you look closely you can see the gaps. Oh, and I haven't even put this to a long duration test, so I have no clue if she'll be reliable.

I would suggest to just try. My first train design as an AFOL was a fantasy locomotive with less detail than an official LEGO set, but by trying again and again I came to this. It's also much more satisfying than if I had just used instructions. If you're building and you face an issue which you can't solve (e.g. "how do I make bogies like that") there are always people willing to help you.