Poor Disadvantaged

Hakann, Avak, Vezok, Kongu, Nuparu and Matoro: 'Stylized Tributes'

49963210057_94a4a7b5c1_k.jpg

I finished (or maybe I'm just halfway through?) a series of Piraka and Toa Inika tributes/revamps.

Had lots of fun, and heaps of nostalgia, reading through those ancient Bionicle texts then figuring out how I could be most faithful to each character.
Which one of these is your favourite?

Check out my Flickr for quotes, flavour text and design write-ups, and my Instagram and Twitter for more photos! 

Edited by Poor Disadvantaged
(Added link to picture)

They all look amazing, but the Piraka revamps are easily the best in my opinion. Hakann is probably my favorite one.

Well that's... Different.

In the best way possible. I love them. Always cool to see stylized/alternate takes on characters. I'll mirror Lego David in saying I prefer the Piraka revamps (though that's not to say anything negative about the Toa!). Avak is definitely my favorite for being absolutely horrifying. Also nice parts use with the Rhotuka launchers for the base!

As for the Toa, Kongu's my favorite. Beautiful colors and design all around!

I never liked Bionicle/ Hero Factory, but I have to admit that if the models had looked this good way back when I might have got hooked...

Mylenium

First of all: I dont know anything about Bionicle, I have always been into Technic. But I do like the look of the Bionicle caracters. Especially your creations here.

I like the girl (it is a girl, right?) in the botton left corner best. The dude in the bottom right corner is very cool too, especially his brickbuilt mask. But the crossbow of the girl is so beautifully shaped, and I like the way her body was made, using technic panels, tread wheels and plant pieces. The color combo is just amazing too. 

The Zaktan and Thok ones are my favorite... if Bionicle were to ever come back this is the direction they should take with it! They actually look like the elements they're based after and all have completely distinct looks.

7 hours ago, RosehipDeity said:

The Zaktan and Thok ones are my favorite...

Zaktan and Thok aren't there... There is only Hakann, Vezok, and Avak. The other three ones are revamps of the Toa Inika.

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

Zaktan and Thok aren't there... There is only Hakann, Vezok, and Avak. The other three ones are revamps of the Toa Inika.

Oh okay, that makes more sense.

I absolutely LOVE Kongu! The colors meld so well and he looks so fierce and intimidating, a real guardian of the jungle type vibe!

I had to frontpage this a few days ago as soon as I saw it- the design here are fantastic. While controversial, 2006 was my favorite year for Bionicle, and I will always have a soft spot for the Piraka. These designs are fantastic, they truly add a new level of character in the design, and blend a great mix of building styles. I also love the unique teeth for each one; reminds me of my simpler Vezon I did a while back.

I would absolutely love to see you tackle the remainder of the Piraka; and I dare say you've inspired me to attempt this type of project as well, though perhaps with a different set of characters. 

The Toa, though I'm not sure on- don''t get me wrong, the builds are fantastic. And I see you went with a re-imagined viewpoint for these figures, especially with Kongu and Nuparu, to where they look more like their Mctoran counterparts, rather than being Inika inspired. I think that's a good idea, but I'm not sure that Matoro really fits in here. Again, he's a great build, but honestly before reading through your comments, I though that was supposed to be some kind of twisted Thok or even pre-mutation Pridak. I think, perhaps, it's because he doesn't utilize his old Matoran mask, whereas his fellow two counterparts do? 

I do hope to see you continue this series. :thumbup:

Stunning detail on all these figures. The natural poses they have coupled with the unique use of color for each is unprecedented! Incredible work!!

-Magnuson-

Amazing remake of the BIONICLE tribes! I love it! 

On 6/11/2020 at 6:39 PM, leafan said:

Great work, @Poor Disadvantaged. They all look so unique.

I've never been into Lego Bionicle, Hero Factory and the like, but these do interest me.

Same for me XD

Thanks everyone! I'm grateful for the feature, and glad to hear you like these. =)

I totally get why people dislike Bionicle; all those specialized molds (and heavy lore) that made Bionicle loveable for some was what made it unappealing/divisive for others.
'ConstrAction' has definitely come a long way since, it had to adapt once the entire buildable action figure theme was canceled.  
Which is absolutely for the better in my eyes; the 2020 BioCup on Flickr showcases the sheer range of things a mix of these elements can achieve!

On 6/6/2020 at 7:17 AM, Gray Gear said:

First of all: I dont know anything about Bionicle, I have always been into Technic. But I do like the look of the Bionicle caracters. Especially your creations here.

I like the girl (it is a girl, right?) in the botton left corner best. The dude in the bottom right corner is very cool too, especially his brickbuilt mask. But the crossbow of the girl is so beautifully shaped, and I like the way her body was made, using technic panels, tread wheels and plant pieces. The color combo is just amazing too. 

It's was a guy, but I built him to look quite agile/athletic and graceful/elegant - I also see feminine traits there for sure!
Yeah, you can never go wrong with Teal haha.

On 6/6/2020 at 7:39 AM, DwalinF said:

The photo is private on flickr. How to fave it? Isn't good

Oops, bit late but I'll change the link so it goes to the gallery as well. Thanks for pointing it out.

On 6/9/2020 at 3:07 AM, VBBN said:

I had to frontpage this a few days ago as soon as I saw it- the design here are fantastic. While controversial, 2006 was my favorite year for Bionicle, and I will always have a soft spot for the Piraka. These designs are fantastic, they truly add a new level of character in the design, and blend a great mix of building styles. I also love the unique teeth for each one; reminds me of my simpler Vezon I did a while back.

I would absolutely love to see you tackle the remainder of the Piraka; and I dare say you've inspired me to attempt this type of project as well, though perhaps with a different set of characters. 

The Toa, though I'm not sure on- don''t get me wrong, the builds are fantastic. And I see you went with a re-imagined viewpoint for these figures, especially with Kongu and Nuparu, to where they look more like their Mctoran counterparts, rather than being Inika inspired. I think that's a good idea, but I'm not sure that Matoro really fits in here. Again, he's a great build, but honestly before reading through your comments, I though that was supposed to be some kind of twisted Thok or even pre-mutation Pridak. I think, perhaps, it's because he doesn't utilize his old Matoran mask, whereas his fellow two counterparts do? 

I do hope to see you continue this series. :thumbup:

Thank you kindly! <3

Me too, the Piraka were all written with a great mix of sinister and whimsical, and the Inika had an entertaining group dynamic.
I think I remember seeing your Vezon during that BZP contest, even little changes to a mask/face can add so much to a character's personality!

Matoro absolutely stands apart yeah, I got that a lot.
I started with his old Matoran mask but I found it a bit too plain for a character who went through the character development he did.
The aim was to emulate his Mahri Mask while evoking its power of reanimation/raising undead, which had the side effect of making the whole thing look very 'edgy'.
It's entirely possible I added too much, but I've found too much of something is often the right amount. =P 

The other six (and maybe Vezon) are definitely on the way, I'll try to get them done sooner rather than later!