Fonzy

[MOC] Cathedral

Hi, it's been a few years I last posted anything on Eurobricks. In these past years I've slowly build a cathedral and rebuild parts of it over and over again. It is not based upon any real cathedral, just  my imagination.

Front view

49959472443_b57e117f60_c.jpg

Right side view and back

49959966756_6b300d2132_c.jpg

Left side view and back

49959472018_913d25cf6d_c.jpg

Inside, looking towards the front

49959470338_c5e3f53f95_c.jpg

Some more photo's can be found at Flickr

Always love to get tips on how to improve things.

Regards,

Fonzy

Great! Nice architecture and nice details, and lots of them since it's so big. :wink:

Looks great, amazing building. It's a bit 'cleaner' that the most (gothic) cathedral but lot of details and stuff like those handcuffs in those 4 'windows' on the side and those statues. One of them looks like a bit of grim reaper :classic:
the Lighting inside looks great with the stained glass window. Give a great effect.

4 hours ago, Fonzy said:

Always love to get tips on how to improve things.

I can't think of any tips actually, looks great. Only the colored minifigures on the columns looks a bit odd to comparing to the medieval / gothic look.

Thanks for the feedback.

19 hours ago, neonic said:

Only the colored minifigures on the columns looks a bit odd to comparing to the medieval / gothic look.

I was in doubt myself about the micro figures. Maybe some plain micro figs will look better.

Beautiful build, have you thought to do any smooth wedge bricks to make a shingled look on the roof? Would be great to add in some grays, browns and blacks to give an edge of wear to the building. Stunning work on the exterior!! Love the stained glass. Best use of all those extra colored studs people seem to collect.

This is a really gorgeous build.  I love the detail you have put in here while still retaining clean lines.  I would disagree with suggestions to add in more colors, such as browns and blacks.  I think these would distract from the structure you have here and make the building look derelict rather than worn.  Besides, a cathedral was a well-maintained place of worship, not a fortress like a castle.  I can see a castle having battle scars and more wear to it because of its function.

There's so many great things to appreciate, but I will try to capture a few.  I really like how you have created smooth transition lines on the rooftop, particularly at the corners (both the traditional and inverse corners).  Those are not easy to do and you make it look smooth, especially with those large rubbery spike things on the transept roof corners.  I like how you added some 1x1 clips at the corner seams on the main part to hold them together visually, and the inverse corners with the wedges are superb.  The tone on tone dark grey on light grey is really outstanding and helps to bring out detail without looking like too much contrast.  I really like that you have built this to minifig scale, or at least pretty close, since it makes the grandeur of the cathedral really come out.  Kudos on brick built arches, too, rather than using the pre-built ones (not that they have ever made any of those large enough for your build), and the stained glass window is awesome, especially with the pic you have of it lit.  I like the statuary in the alcoves on the outside, too. 

As for suggestions, unless you're basing this on a specific cathedral interior (which you said you were not in the original post), I would eliminate the medium blue plates and replace the statuary with either grey for stone or gold for ornamented (and perhaps to keep with the nano gold figs up top).  I like the interior and even the white, dark red, dark blue, and gold, since it hearkens back to baroque times with marble, gold leaf, and some painted fixtures, but the medium blue (or whatever that color is called, its official name escapes me right now) and the colored micro figs clash a bit and distract from the realism to my eye.  I really like the old space bendy connectors around the main doorway, too: very creative.  You can only really see this on the Flickr pics, but a few of the off-colored tiles (like the dark orange) might be interesting to make more uniform and smooth all the way down the interior main floor.  I'd like to see what this looks like with a clean tile floor pattern.

Thank you for sharing this build.  It is really magnificent and it's quite difficult to make an epic cathedral like this in such a stand out manner.  Great job!

Thanks Magnuson24 and Grover for the feedback and to give some ideas to think about.

On 6/8/2020 at 11:37 PM, Magnuson24 said:

Would be great to add in some grays, browns and blacks to give an edge of wear to the building.

I tried this, since I’ve seen quite some MOC’s where it really adds to the building. But somehow for me it didn’t work. Though I’d love to give it an extra touch, I was not able to find the right combination of colors and amount of it to improve it to my liking.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:20 AM, Grover said:

I'd like to see what this looks like with a clean tile floor pattern.

That would be quite some modification. Have to think about it. Maybe I can do a single section, just to see how it looks.

Its a beautiful example of a Lowlands/Northern France cathedral. I felt it would fit in any medieval town of these areas.

Wauw... just wauw! What a great build. I especially like the last picture where you can see the reflection of the window on the floor. Makes it look so real. Not sure about the colored minifigs thought. But the rest is great. I don't think it's a problem that the walls don't have other colours in it. Makes it look new. 

I am impressed by the incredible work you have presented with a surprising wealth of details. Compliments

I am a Lego builder passionate about modular constructions if you have time and pleasure you can find my proposals on

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2fc13079-3c2b-4037-b71e-66b0904e7ca2

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/876cb3a5-1dd7-4e52-8d33-ed68fd1d0902

resize:800:450

resize:800:450

I love the look of it, and just how impractically large it is. Does it come apart in sections so you can move it around? Or did it just get built on one table, and now it lives there forever? Definitely an imposing build; I guess it's fitting that a gothic cathedral be too large for practicality.

Also, any idea how many parts are in it? How many tens of thousands?