There are several issues that come with building a Lego ship, but the primary one: smooth hull shape (with curves on three different planes) presents the greatest challenge. Ultimately, every solution to the hull shape problem involves a compromise: some by stressing tiles, others by eliminating one (or more) curve plane, others by creating jagged lines. My design uses mixel joints to create the shape. The sacrifice comes in several gaps. I've used rigid hose and standard rigging to disguise the majority of them. This design has involved several experiments (notably the Spirit of Sir Edward). Modeled after the brig USS Lady Washington: I present the Europa.

49958915256_9affae2af2_c.jpg

The rigging: big thanks to @Wellesley. I had no clue where to start, so I just ended up copying what I could from his fantastic Ymir. The front gaps on the hull aren't bad, but still noticeable.

49958418218_c75fa29c87_c.jpg

Figureheads are one of my favorite aspects of shipbuilding. In mythology, Europa, the mother of King Minos of Crete, was abducted by Zeus who took the form of a white bull.  While I tried to avoid modifying bricks in this build, I did paint several. The figurehead has most of the modifications: I painted the hairpiece white. I also removed the head from the horse costume 35704pb01, painted it white, and glued a brickwarriors bull head on top.

49958418163_3008beb32a_c.jpg

The rudder can be moved by the tiller. Flags are based on this technique here.

49959198542_c05be1e574_c.jpg

Originally, the Europa was going to have 16 guns. To go with her armament, her deck was going to be dark red (to help conceal blood). I scrapped the armament, but kept the dark red. I didn't grab a good picture, but there is a capstan under the lifeboat which does work (raising and lowering the anchors). The bell is a bucket painted pearl gold. 

49959198582_ae3f342edf_c.jpg

No ratlines, I'm not that crazy... even though I catch myself dreaming about trying this technique with a two-decker. :pir-laugh:

Let me know what you think!

Spoiler

More pictures can be found on my flickr 

Edited by TomSkippy

The Europa is a fine vessel indeed so I've posted it in the Classic Pirates Facebook Group.

But where da minifigures?

Wow, the hull shape and colouration are awesome. Also great work on the rigging!

On my phone I can't really make it out on the pictures right now, but I think with the threat you used for the shrouds I wouldn't go through the pain of doing ratlines either. 

wow, really nice!

Any pictures about the insight? Must be very interesting!

That's some wonderful hull shaping you have there! I love the incline towards the stern. Also, your colors are very nice (especially the dark red for the flooring). The yellow hose along the side actually looks really nice in my opinion as it adds more bulk on the exterior sides which is just normally tiled. Great rigging and an overall excellent vessel! I absolutely love it! :grin_wub:

Also, I do have to agree with Phes. Where dem figs?

Wow, nice shape! And you have inserted a lot of ropes for the rigging, so the sails are not necessary! It seems to look quite big for its actual size, too!

As @Mister Phes alsway suggests the minifigs (is every ship without them getting this post? I am to short a member to verify that...) I dont think they are needed for this one.

Lastly, I would never destroy a lego piece or colour it, I like to figure out a solution within the limited part availablity!

5 minutes ago, Stoertebricker said:

As @Mister Phes alsway suggests the minifigs (is every ship without them getting this post? I am to short a member to verify that...)

Aye, the crew says a lot about a ship. :pir-classic:

Amazing ship. Looks good, in your own style mixed with the common style you see around here. The beauty is in the extra details like the figurehead and the flags. Those are the best man

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

@Mister Phes I'll post some pics with minifigs, it may be a while, but I'd like a capstan shot.

On 6/1/2020 at 5:58 AM, 5N00P1 said:

wow, really nice!

Any pictures about the insight? Must be very interesting!

When I get minifig pics up I'll add some shots of the undercarriage/hull shape joints.

@Captain Braunsfeld Rigging. Best advice, is pirate it! :pir-grin: (steal copy someone else's)

23 hours ago, Stoertebricker said:

Lastly, I would never destroy a lego piece or colour it, I like to figure out a solution within the limited part availablity!

I definitely understand! I try to avoid cutting or coloring. When I was five, I remember putting some tape on a spear to make an axe and drawing a face on a 1x1 brick (since I lost one of my heads). I hated destroying pieces, but there's a little modification in me, so it's fitting that my grandest build (so far :pir-classic:) would include a touch of that. 

21 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Amazing ship. Looks good, in your own style mixed with the common style you see around here. The beauty is in the extra details like the figurehead and the flags. Those are the best man

Thanks! I'm glad you appreciated a creative take on the Sea Rats flag!

46 minutes ago, TomSkippy said:

Thanks! I'm glad you appreciated a creative take on the Sea Rats flag!

haha those black rats on yellow linnen will never go out of style! Nice emblem indeed!

Gorgeous ship, mate!  Rigging and curves are spot-on (and that "tile-bending" technique works so well; I'll have to give it a try sometime), and the colors and flags are excellent as well!  I really like your choice of dark red for the deck color too (or are my eyes playing tricks on me? :pir-grin: :pir_laugh2:  Looks dark red though, and it looks fantastic!), and I'm going to have to remember your ship's bell technique to pirate someday :pir-laugh:  Excellent job, my friend!

5 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

And good job to you too! It's been a while since we had something on the frontpage. pir-thumb.gif

Thanks sir. Yeah it's been a while... :pir-blush:

This ship deserves it and the more I look at the details the more I like it. There are so much good ideas to it that I will probably borrow some of them. :pir_laugh2:

Amazing ship Tom! She is surely a beauty! Excelelnt work at the rigging ofc and I also really like her stern!

Its almost so beautiful to make a grown man cry! Almost....... :pir-look: But in all seriousness, what a fantastic vessel to be a captain of! I dont personally mind the gaps in te hull, the details and the overall look takes the eyes out of them.  I like that you did stick whit the color scheme of the original replica Hats off to ya!

Captain Becker

Amazing ship build!! Reminds me a lot of the Rattlesnake, American Privateer. The scale of this is perfect for this size of ship. WELL DONE!