Henjin_Quilones

CHALLENGE V: Category B: A New Ruler, a Mad Ruler (Baiamonte, Part III)

A New Ruler, a Mad Ruler

49870110188_2a787c552d_c.jpg 

Rufus had expected to be pursued – collusion with obscure groups on the wastelands, plot with enemies of the crown in the mountains, use and traffic of illegal substances – one needed only choose which. Yet, he strutted. His chin pointing to the sky, and a crooked smile carved out on his face. Rufus reached the square and glanced at his brothers, all suited in full armor, surrounding a group of weak and outdated old men. The Rego on the center, waved to one side and the other, and when his eyes met Rufus’s, he stopped.

A black shadow covered the square as if the sun had been a blown off flame in a dark room. A roar echoed through the canals and panic took the cobblestone streets. An obscure creature opened its leathery wings and lurched over the houses surrounding the main square. Its deafening roar was enough to break the encirclement of guards and leave the Rego exposed.

49870110363_a39705b6bc_c.jpg

The creature opened its mouth filled with infinite chains of teeth, as the ruler squeezed himself against the terracotta walls and beneath him, a yellow pool formed and ran to the flowing waters of the Varlyrian canals. The Rego’s councilor was shrunken on the ground, and noticing his ruler stripped from all his power, saw no alternative beside to acknowledge his new superior. “All hail the new king, the Mad Rufus Baiamonte!”

Rufus laughed and his eyes gleamed gold as the sun, as he saw his future sitting on a new throne, under the chant of “Mad Rufus! Mad Rufus! Mad Rufus!”.

An entry to the collaborative category of Challenge V. My teammates are @Gideon and @Louis of Nutwood

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

The eyes on that creature are amazing! Lovely arches everywhere, especially the on on the left tan building. I do think the buildings could use some more texture though.

Great looking dragon, the little touches of red and purple are a nice detail.  The architecture is fantastic.  The different styles, and colors of the buildings is nice.  I like the different flowers throughout the build.  All the arches and columns bring a nice classic vibe to the city streets.  I also like the fact that you made the roofs uniform, making it look very clean.  The cobblestone streets look great and the canal is looks great with the different shading of the water.  Wonderful story and the figs all look great too.

The size of this scene is perfect - small enough that we can see all kinds of detail, but large enough to be completely immersive.  The dual toned stone is beautiful, and I really like the roofs.  From a purely artistic point of view, the dragon seems rather out of place, but it's quite an interesting story twist and great use of that tiny wing for an eye!

I agree with Zlatan on the arches, multiple different techniques here are executed well.  Also, those gondolas are just perfect.  :sweet:  

I know I was part of the team, but that doesn't stop me from commenting. 
Beautiful work, Henjin. I keep coming back to admire this. The pale blue sky certainly defines the ambiance. 

Love the columns, the uneven water, the gondola, the foliage on the walls, the roofs are exquisite, and all the balconies are perfectly placed. 
Great to see so much movement going on with all the minifigs, not making it too packed. 

I have to mention the use of legs on the stoned bridge and the half broken sculptures by the canal. 
Impressive work, as always, mate. A pleasure to work with you, sire. 

I am so glad you guys could enter! This build, as one of the first for the challenge, no doubt sent a wave of inspiration all around! It's so good, you ended up with a very beautiful scene! 

What a lovely place! Well, if there were not a beast devouring the guards. :laugh:

I really love the variety of the house designs and colours, it makes the scene very life-like. Great design for the dragon too!

Those eyes certainly are clever! - but I think it's the Varlyrian architecture and colors that you've hit on so well that really steal the show here.  The arches, water, and stairway down to the gondolas, along with the decaying statues and the roofs are all excellently executed and make for a very full and life-like scene :thumbup:  And all the more impressive considering how quickly you managed to build this massive thing!

But that said, I do think I like you're vacation version better, haha! :grin: :laugh: