It has been three days since we were run off the road into the Wither Woods. I can see why our Rego was apprehensive on getting involved on the continent. What should have been a simple trip to the Avalonian capital has turned into a slaughter in the dark inside these woods. Death lurks in these trees. My contingent of solders has all but vanished and I know it is not cowardice or desertion.

I fear if I fall asleep, I may never wake, but I have not slept since we were attacked on that first night; I can fight it back no longer. We’ve situated camp on this crag over a stream; we will be safe on two sides, at least. Hirbod has the first watch. May his eyes, and ears, not fail us tonight.

-Sicuro

49953884076_e522fee8ba.jpg

Off-Course in the Wither Woods

After weeks of no word from Sicuro or the contingent of men he led to Avalonia, rumor made its way to the Rego of Varlyrio. This whisper was enough to convince his minster of War and himself that isolation from the continent was prudent. Varlyrio would not send troops to the Battle of Historica.

-------------------

This is my entry into the Guilds of Historica Book III Challenge V: Category A (which takes place in Book II). This lost diary entry explains what happened to the contingent of troops sent by the Rego of Varlyrio. Their disappearance solidifies his view that Varlyrio should stay out of the distant war.

A bonus image of the MOC can be seen below. It features full lighting and and an aerial view.

49953384473_dd595f8e71.jpg

Aerial View

I’m also submitting this MOC for review in the University of Petraeas Doctorate of Historica Program under the following two categories:

• Landscape Design → trees #1
  • Geography → forests

The coniferous trees follow Katie Walker’s design while the odd-angled branched ones are based on Legopard’s Design. I found both by following this Brickbuilt Tutorial.

Website | Flickr | YouTube

Edited by jtooker

All those orange horns look pretty spooky in the first picture!  The dark brown leaves look really nice, don't think I've seen anyone else do a tree with them yet.  Nice job using different colors for the landscape.  Maybe consider throwing some tiles into the mix next time?

:thumbup: from me for both credits!

Great dark Avalonian forest! You really captured a scary vibe, and the use of those snake figs is awesome! Well done, glad you could enter :thumbup: :wink: . I enjoyed the write up as well! Makes sense to me! (Note to self: be careful in dark forests :laugh: .)

Pictures are great.  The dark pic is perfect and gives off that eerie feeling.  Great landscaping, the trees are especially nice.  The layered plates looks great.  Nice use of the Ninjago figs.  

Nice build!  You definitely captured the dark feel of the forest.  I like the color combos, and the stream there.  The story fits well, too.  Were I to offer a suggestion, it would be to get a shot at eye level of the figures.  The overall scene shots are great for builders, but difficult to see what's going on.  I didn't even notice the Ninjago snake guys until the third look, and aside from their orange spikes, have low contrast with their surroundings.  Particularly with forest settings where there's a canopy, it's really nice to see an eye level shot, so you get the clear lines of sight for what's going on.  Love the use of the snake guys.  I've been collecting them for future use in my builds, so it's good to see someone else thinking along the same lines!  Nice job, and keep up the good work!  I look forward to seeing your builds as your story moves forward!

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions!  I appreciate the feedback.  I'm glad the dark look of the forest came though, though at the expense of some clarity.  I was hoping to light the MOC so the smoldering camp fire appeared to be the sole source of light, but could not (without taking apart the MOC and putting some LEDs in - and I'm not sure that would have been much better).

@Kai NRG Maybe consider throwing some tiles into the mix next time?

For the ground?  I've been meaning to do this more and forgot on this MOC until it was too late to add too many.  I'll keep this in mind though.

@Grover I didn't even notice the Ninjago snake guys until the third look, and aside from their orange spikes, have low contrast with their surrounding

I struggled with this quite a bit.  I tried different torso pieces, but that looked worse IMO (though they were more visible).  I did like how they blended in to the darkness of the trees from a story-point-of-view, but I agree it was too much.  I'll be interested in how you use your snake guys when you include them in a MOC.

get a shot at eye level of the figures

I took a quick shot:

offCourseContingent_eyeLevel500px.jpg

it is over exposed, but the attackers are more visible with the extra light.

Edited by jtooker
insert image

2 hours ago, jtooker said:

For the ground? 

Yep, tiles on the ground help vary the texture.

The heavy canopy works pretty well here, though to build on Grover's comment about an eye level shot, I wonder what another 2-3 bricks worth of height to the trunks of the trees before the leaves start would do for both clarity and to further the atmosphere.  Cool build overall, and it appears I'm not the only one that's been gathering up the black/orange snake people for future use!  :laugh:

The eye level shot is much more clear to see what's going on.  I agree with @mrcp6d, too, adding some height to the canopy would help.  To scale, if a mini is average human height (about 1:42), then a 70' tall oak tree (a fairly big one) is around 19" tall when made out of bricks to scale (an amazing 51 bricks tall)!  Of course, Lego sets are not to this scale and are significantly smaller, but the short canopy is probably even smaller than that, so it cuts down on the view of the figures and isn't exactly what we think of when we walk through the forest and look around.  Finding the right scale is pretty tricky, especially with natural settings (I struggle with this a lot!).

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with the snake people, but I loved your interpretation!

Wow, this forest really looks deep and rather spooky, especially with the low lighting. Perfect illustration for your story! Nice use of the Ninjago snake guys too, their orange spike really add something to the overall mood.

Ooh, it's always great to see a build in an area that has't been portrayed much! Guess even most builders are scared to build in those woods! :wink: But not you, brave one! I like your ground vegetation and the little stream, but for the larger trees I'd also say that a bit more clearance of branches would benefit the scene, especially in the dark. Nice patches of colour on the ground itself. Looking forward to your next builds! :thumbup: