Deinonychus

Agents Mission 3: Gold Hunt - set #8630

ai.jpg

I got and put together this set yesterday, and since then I've so fallen in love with it that I've just got to review it.

The main components of the set are the jet, the truck and trailer, and the three Minifigs; Gold Tooth, an Inferno Henchman, and Agent Fuse.

mf1.jpg

Fuse is your basic jet pilot-looking guy, but he does come with one of those handy double-printed faces with smiley look an a scared look. The Henchman is your basic LEGO criminal with an Inferno uniform, and Gold Tooth is the perfect example of a super-villain with his gold hair, gold teeth, gold piercings, and golden gun (Auric Goldfinger meets Saramanga?)

mf2.jpg

The Inferno Jeep is a nice, quick build with cool rubberized shocks and a slick, almost futuristic design.

i1.jpg

The black and orange colors work really well together and the swiveling back seat for the Henchman and his huge pistols is a nice touch.

i3.jpg

The fact that the trailer hauling the gold bricks and target gimmick is a separate piece instead of a bed assembly on the jeep is great because it allows the Jeep to stand on it's own without the cargo or gimmick.

i2.jpg

i4.jpg

The best part of the set, however, is the Agents jet. It's small and uncomplicated, but it's very cool and very satisfying.

a1.jpg

The large cockpit on the smaller body is sort of reminiscent of old GI Joe jet toys.

a7.jpg

The air intakes on the bottom are made with the ever-popular SNOT building technique which is sure to please many.

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

But just the sheer swooshability of the jet and it's compact sweetness is reason enough to get this set. Heck, I'm already considering getting a few more and swapping the dark blue on the jet out for other colors so I can have a small, multi-colored fleet of the things.

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

The abundant stickers might turn some people off, but the level of detail they add to the jet is worth the hassle. Man, I really wish LEGO would do more modern-style military-type vehicles like this, because it is full of win.

a2.jpg

I'd wholeheartedly recommend this set to all LEGO vehicle fans, and I also believe that really any LEGO fan would like this set.

I can only give it a score of deino2.gifdeino2.gifdeino2.gifdeino2.gifdeino2.gif out of 5

How much was it, and does the suspension work well? If it doesn't, I've lowering the truck, it looks pretty pathetic.

How much was it, and does the suspension work well? If it doesn't, I've lowering the truck, it looks pretty pathetic.

I'd call the suspension average. It uses those little rubber double-axle-hole pieces. Not as good as a mechanical assembly or something with springs, but it does okay. I don't think it'd harm the look of the Jeep to lower it at all.

And I picked it up for $31 US...but this was at Toys R Us, so I think it'll be $30 pretty much everywhere else. deino2.gif

I NEED pictures! your review was great but I just can't picture anything in my mind without pics. Can you please take some I'm dying to see this set! anyway it was a nice review!

Thanks for that interesting review, Deinonychus! Golden Gir, um, Villains on! :tongue::thumbup:

Thanks for the review, that made me hungry for more! And I concure mammymarf, I want to see pics too, especially the jet exhaust and bottom. Or could you, Deinonychus, at least describe them, which pieces etc.?

Edited by L'Exocet

I may get out of work here today at a decent hour, if so I'll grab some pics in a couple hours :thumbup:

Great review!You gotta love that plane :sweet: , I have to say that jeep looks "strange"but mabye not in person... :look:

Thanks for the review. I really like this. I mean, yeah, so I like all the Agents sets, but still the point stands.

The plane is great, and would probably stand well on it's own. That then makes the jeep a welcome addition. Fuse is really cool, especially the scared head which looks brilliant. Gold Tooth (nice and subtle) is pretty cool as well, in a campy sort of way. In fact, that's something I like in the whole line. It's a bit camp (in a spy-fest sort of way).

I'm not sure whose idea it was to put the gold haul on a rickety trailer, where it's likely to fall off. Because I hope Dr Inferno has harsh words with them! :tongue:

Nice review thanks, although I must say the set itself doesn't really inspire me.

The Jet is obviously the best thing about it, but I'm starting to get fed up with technic cannons now. I've got so many floating around from the last year or so's sets.

I'm sure I'll end up getting all the Agents sets for parts at the very least when they appear here in the UK.

Thanks for the review Deino, I love all the Agents sets and this one is a must! I love Gold Toth, the perfect campy Roger Moore bond villain, as you said, a cross between The Man with the Golden Gun and the Man with the golden touch himself!

I love that jet too, simply fantastic, I can't believe we actually thought this line would be bad. The SNOT air intakes are fabulous, and I love the colours (orange and dark blue), I can't wait to make some "Agents" scenes with all these cool spy fest figs.

Gold Tooth (nice and subtle) is pretty cool as well, in a campy sort of way. In fact, that's something I like in the whole line. It's a bit camp (in a spy-fest sort of way).

And you laughed at me for saying the exact same thing in the "Agents" thread, a campy spy-fest is awesome!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

A sleek and swooshable jet indeed in an of course great color scheme with a cool butterfly tail and a nifty grey barrel exhaust nozzle.

And that wobbly long legged jeep looks interesting.... not too big, and pretty playable.... vroom-vroom on. :thumbup:

These MF characters look really charming too, although it would just be super comfortable to get the villain and his henchman in two

slightly different dresses, perhaps. Anyways, the good faction´s dressed all the same too I think.... :look:

And a golden .45 automatic would be a real eye catcher.... :grin: But on the other hand it´s really nice to see some brickbuilt guns, though.

Way better with pics.... :tongue: thank you Deino! Mmmm.... Deino steaks.... deino2.giffp__homer_drool.jpg

P.S.: Is there some kind of, ahem, anything beneath the bonnet of that car...? Vroom-vroom? :sweet:

Edited by Asuka

Great review, Deinonychus. :thumbup:

Agents is looking cooler and cooler with every new review. This kit is the best we've seen so far - the jeep is cool and reminds me of Halo. And of course, the Jet is amazing. And the figures... oh man, are they awesome! :wub:

Kudos to TLC for making a new spy theme that doesn't reek of the failures of Alpha Team. :thumbup:

Thanks for the sweet review, Deino! This looks like a neat set, though I must say one of the first things that struck me was the henchman stole Gold Tooth's gold tooth. Well, one of them anyway. :grin: Anyway, that gold hair piece is sweet, as is the fire hose end gun, I wasn't expecting that! The Agent's reversible head is another great bonus, The jeep is fantastic, I love orange! :cry_sad: The Jet's nice too, but I really love the Jeep!

Is there anything under the hood of the jeep? It looks openable, but it may be like that just for the sloped look. :look:

~Peace

Is there anything under the hood of the jeep? It looks openable, but it may be like that just for the sloped look. :look:

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that after I built it :blush:

Under the hood is a pair of red cones attached to one of those little handle pieces on a hinge. It doesn't rise out of the "engine" compartment very far, but I suppose they are supposed to be hidden blasters.

Thanks for the great review and pics!

I picked this set (and Mission 1) up yesterday, and like you, was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked them.

As I'm all about minifig weaponry, here are two close-ups of what TLC has these guys packing:

Golden_Gun.jpg

TLC_Magnum.jpg

All in all, not bad for TLC, but frankly, I've been a bit spoiled when it comes to more accurate minifig firearms. :wink:

Nick-Nack.jpg

"Zey call dat a Golden Gun? Oooo, Monsieur Scaramanga would not be pleased!"

badger

Edited by the enigma that is badger

Alright, got you guys a mess of pictures.

Thank you Deino! :tongue: Great review. You've sold the set to me; I wasn't planning on buying this! :tongue:

Oh great they changed the weapons! They were supposed to be Batman guns! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :hmpf_bad::cry_sad::sadnew::wacko::angry::thumbdown:

Anyway i will get this for the jet......

Thank you so very much for the great pictures, Deinonychus!

All in all, mixed emotions for me :hmpf_bad: .

First of all the guns, what's up with that? In premilimanary photos there where either Batman guns or SW Blasters, but then they end up arming these guys with the worst choice available (ok, no guns would be worse, but next to worse). A hose nozzle is hardly a gun, not even plated with gold. Well, I guess it's all about mocing now...

The jet is just ok for me. My guess was right, the afterburner is a barrel, and, for me, it looks just like a barrel stuck to the tale. That canopy is even worse then it seemed from other angles, too. But with some heavy modifications, it still has potential.

O the more positive note, I love the colour scheme, and the jeep is much better looking and design then I expected.

Deinonychus, thanks for taking time to provide us such wonderful pictures. You have review the most important set that I am thinking to get for the Agent theme. I was hoping someone can provide me some good pictures of the fighter jet which is the only thing that attract me the most. Although, there are some stickers laying around, but the slick design makes up for it. I must admit that the level of building and design, cannot be compared with MOCs such as Ralph_S. This toy is meant for swoosh around and playing. :tongue:

Thanks for giving me a good insight on this set :sweet:

Alright, got you guys a mess of pictures.

Say, "Thank you Deino." deino2.gif

"Thank you Deino." :grin:

The more I see these sets, the more I want them.

A bley barrel... :wub:

Edited by sir dano

First of all the guns, what's up with that? In premilimanary photos there where either Batman guns or SW Blasters, but then they end up arming these guys with the worst choice available (ok, no guns would be worse, but next to worse). A hose nozzle is hardly a gun, not even plated with gold. Well, I guess it's all about mocing now...

To quote Claus von Bülow, "You have no idea." :wink:

badger

Wow I wasn't gonna get this set but I think you've changed my mind!! :thumbup: The Jet is beautiful :wub: and the truck is very nice and veru detailed to good work the Lego Company :thumbup::thumbup: The only bad thing is that this set will probably be pretty expensive over here..how much was it where you are?

cheers!