ZlatanXVIGustaf

CHALLENGE V: Category B: La Cospirazione: Part III

La Cospirazione: Part III

Cadgie De Fiori had indeed gotten himself into another mess.  And if the mess he made was not enough he had Capri De Fiori to handle for the day, and that may have dwarfed all the other problems he had in life. It’s not quite certain in fact how much of a hand she had in all of his problems. But problems he had, and of a sobering nature.

“Dawn. At dawn Alesio arrives. At dawn Capri should be off my hands. At dawn I must see those brothers. And I don’t think they have good intentions. It was certainly not wise to accept their tryst after that affair with those people the other day. And certainly Alesio must arrive. And most certainly I must not take Capri tomorrow.”

But Alesio did not arrive, and Capri did accompany him: much more due to her willful nagging than to his own wishes; perhaps it also had something to do with her remark, “You can’t leave me here alone in this bleak old castle! I’ll follow you on foot!”

To which Cadgie had pertly answered, “I go by gondola, signorina!

“Then I’ll follow you swimming, signore!” was her impudent retort.

Well, that would have been worse. Since Capri did not know how to swim. But Cadgie knew she would keep her word, and he did not wish to spend part of his busy dawn fishing the girl out of the water, so that is how they both found themselves disembarking in the busy little piazza near the southern end of Tergiversa.

“Sit here,” whispered Cadgie, motioning to a wooden bench by the waterside. He sighed deeply. “Please, Capri, don’t move unless I tell you to.”

“Are you going to fight?” Capri cried impatiently, looking over Cadgie’s shoulder at the man pacing up and down near the statuette in the center of the piazza and the small crowd that was gathered near him.

Cadgie smirked very good-naturedly at her.

“Now, Uncle, you know it’s not good to go fighting other people, what is none of your business.” She stood on the bench and looked down on him. “If you kill somebody I am going to tell my father!” Capri imperiously avowed. “And I mean it, sir, and my Uncle!” 

“Unfortunately,” Cadgie remarked with a sarcastic smile, “it is my business.”  He tapped his fine sword proudly. “I am Captain of the Guard, Capri De Fiori, and if these trouble makers want trouble, it is my task to give it to them!”

He put his hand to her lips to stop her from talking anymore and sweeping round marched to the center of the small piazza. An alley led away to the left, and a man leaning against the wall there leapt off it and moved forward, backing up the fellow who had been pacing up and down.

“Look here, De Fiori, you gentlemen are too proud,” began one.

“Is it true,” took up his companion, who wore a heavy black jerkin, “that Susto and Falco de Fiori, and the guard of Tergiversa, were the chief conspirators and collaborators who overthrew Supano Amancio?”

“Explain this, Cadgie De Fiori, or bring the murderers here and have them answer.”

Cadgie grasped the hilt of his weapon and snapped, “What murderers?”

“Susto and Falco De Fiori!” cried both men vehemently.

“Who dares to insult the name of Fiori?” answered Cadgie, enraged.

Quelli in incognito,” they retorted fiercely.

“We’re here to settle a debt, De Fiori, and you must pay it if your sons will not!” continued the man in the black jerkin. A pair of swords flashed out and glittered in the sun.  

49950644688_180179e968_b.jpg

Cadgie threw himself at them at once. “The De Fiori’s have no innocent blood on their hands, Gentiluomini!” he thundered. “He who says otherwise may answer to my blade!”

A cloud of dust rose into the air as the two men stepped forward and lashed out with their blades. Cadgie De Fiori, a skilled swordsman, defended himself with skill, poise, and tact, but the supposed brothers who were matched up against him were incredible warriors. Blood was spilt on both sides, as they marched up and down the streets dashing about with their swords, playing with the point, the edge, and the environment around them. Twice Cadgie had one of them trapped against the walls, and once he cut deep into the arm of the foremost of them.  But the unequal combat left only one possible outcome, and at last one of the attackers dashed Cadgie De Fiori against the statuette in the center of the piazza and put his sword against his throat.

49951439092_011e240f22_b.jpg

“It is the end of the power of the De Fiori’s,” the man whispered coldly.

He forced open Cadgie hand and his sword clattered to the ground.

“At least the De Fiori’s are no murderers or cowards!” Cadgie hurled back at him, striking him across the face with his heavy metal gauntlet.

“You will pay for that blow, Fiori!” the man brandished his sword wildly as he recovered his balance.

Cadgie gasped, dashing for his weapon.

But with fire in their eyes both men leapt forward and plunged their swords through Cadgie De Fiori’s mail breastplate. Then with a final blow the one struck him to the floor.

Capri De Fiori had watched the whole fight on her tippy toes, restlessly hanging on the edge of the crowd, and with a frightened cry she jumped forward as the man dealt the final blow.

She threw herself at her uncle’s side, crying, as the assassins sprinted quickly away.

Cadgie De Fiori’s eyes lit as he saw her face bending over him, and he whispered fiercely, “Capri!–”

“Poor Uncle, what did they do to you?” She passionately gritted her teeth.

“Listen Capri,” the Captain of the Guard said briefly, holding on to life for only a moment more, “they have plotted the end of the De Fiori: girl, run!

Capri whirled round with wide eyes and saw at once what Cadgie De Fiori meant.  A troop of soldiers were rushing at her! She quickly kissed her dying Uncle on the forehead and then leapt up and sprinted for the alley, but she could not beat the soldiers, who with cries and shouts intercepted the girl, seizing her by the hands.

49951144551_b256c1b8e0_b.jpg

“Don’t struggle, little girl,” one of them whispered kindly in her ear.

Va bene,” Capri answered in resignation.

She let herself hang limply in the hands of the soldiers as they dragged her away. Then as the fateful piazza square slowly passed out of sight she said softly, “Addio, Uncle!”

She knew she would never see her Uncle, Cadgie De Fiori, Captain of the Guard of Tergiversa, again, for he was dead. 

49951144646_3614ba00e3_b.jpg

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Stay tuned for the rest of the story and please let me know what you think of the build!

Edited by ZlatanXVIGustaf

Damn! Man this is beutiful!!!! *oh2*

Great MOC, great photos and awesome building techniques! I really love the detailed textures! :pir-love:

You have brought great honour to #swedishlegomafia :grin:

Amazing MOC!!! 

Love the architecture and all the different building techniques!

So much to love here. The detail on virtually every surface boggles the mind.

Love the story too! Looking forward to part II and IV (?) of this collaboration.

It was a pleasure to collaborate with you, sir! Incredible work, no one has mentioned the beautiful windows yet, or those luxuriant vines. Admirable MOC! 

Some really nice texturing there dude, very well done. The colourscheme and overall composition is very nicely done as well, great work!

A rather poignant story! And a very beautiful build. I especially like the vines on the sand green building. The perspective is great too!

Lovely vines!  Great job on that corner roof - those are so difficult to build and you did really well.  I like the highly textured stonework by the side of the canal and and the glimpse of the streets beyond that you've given us really puts the whole scene in context!

19 hours ago, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

playing with the point, the edge, and the environment around them.

Nice...

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

Nice...

Come on. You can play with whatever you want when it is allegorical. That was intentional. It's like when playing a game, you use every part. I played with the words, the letters, and the screen. See. :laugh: I know, it's awkward. But admit it, you just couldn't find a typo.

Edited by W Navarre

On 5/30/2020 at 10:40 AM, Zilmrud said:

Damn! Man this is beutiful!!!! *oh2*

Great MOC, great photos and awesome building techniques! I really love the detailed textures! :pir-love:

You have brought great honour to #swedishlegomafia :grin:

Thank you very much!:sweet:

On 5/30/2020 at 11:16 AM, dalle said:

Amazing MOC!!! 

Love the architecture and all the different building techniques!

Thanks!

On 5/30/2020 at 12:35 PM, Basiliscus said:

So much to love here. The detail on virtually every surface boggles the mind.

Love the story too! Looking forward to part II and IV (?) of this collaboration.

Thank you! The story is entirely the work of @W Navarre.

On 5/30/2020 at 4:12 PM, W Navarre said:

It was a pleasure to collaborate with you, sir! Incredible work, no one has mentioned the beautiful windows yet, or those luxuriant vines. Admirable MOC! 

It was a pleasure collabing with you too!    

23 hours ago, adde51 said:

Some really nice texturing there dude, very well done. The colourscheme and overall composition is very nicely done as well, great work!

Thanks a lot!

23 hours ago, Aurore said:

A rather poignant story! And a very beautiful build. I especially like the vines on the sand green building. The perspective is great too!

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Lovely vines!  Great job on that corner roof - those are so difficult to build and you did really well.  I like the highly textured stonework by the side of the canal and and the glimpse of the streets beyond that you've given us really puts the whole scene in context!

Nice...

Thank you! I can confirm, the corner roof was a pain to build:grin:

Your greebling is amazing.  The buildings are all well done.  I like the use of the different colors, makes the scene pop.  All the different arch ways, doorways, and windows are a really nice detail and bring so many different details to the build.  The amount of texturing is insane and really catches your eye.  The figs are perfectly placed and posed that really bring the scene to life.  The story is strong and well written.  Great job.  

On 5/31/2020 at 12:08 AM, W Navarre said:

Come on. You can play with whatever you want when it is allegorical. That was intentional. It's like when playing a game, you use every part. I played with the words, the letters, and the screen. See. :laugh: I know, it's awkward. But admit it, you just couldn't find a typo.

I wasn't being sarcastic. :roflmao:

On the other hand playing with the words, the letters, and the screen doesn't work very well. :tongue:

2 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

I wasn't being sarcastic. :roflmao:

On the other hand playing with the words, the letters, and the screen doesn't work very well. :tongue:

Oh, I changed it for the other thread, so too bad, lol :rofl: . If you think I should keep it, let me know. You left me very confused :laugh: .

Even the rough drafts of this were amazing!  The arch in the dark green section came out of nowhere though and the light bley & white play so well next to the green.  Making it a bit of a balcony was a great way to force some depth into what could have been a large flat building facade near the center of the picture.  This is going to be an inspirational MOC for me for a while. :sweet:

Agree with everything said above. When you posted the first WIP in our group chat, I was blown away! I lifted a bunch of your techniques for my part, like the canal walls, the dock, and the plants. The sand green building is so epic, and the white and yellow buildings to the side and back really complete the scene

Superb!  Amazing job with this build, Zlatan - your textures, arches (it's insane how smooth each and every one of those are!), and colors are all masterfully done, and nobody has mentioned that ascending street yet - fantastic stuff, man!  I'm delighted to have you in the guild and very glad you could find time to enter this challenge.  The water (I love that color! :wub:) and your beautiful vines make for some excellent contrast against the more tempered color of the buildings, and your sides of the canal (gorgeously smooth angles there! :drool:) make me with I had a couple thousand ingots right now :laugh: :grin:  And I would be remiss not to call out your minifigures, and not just the ones in front - great combos and posing on everyone here, from the girl in the balcony and the gentlemen coming out of his house (that Viking CMF is amazing) to the guy lying on the bench and Arama de Cioto signaturely peeping out from the upper story window.  Fantastic job, sir!

And that is the way for a De Fiori to go - dueling it out honorably for the family credit!  This is certainly one of my favorite sections of the story - very nice job with it, Navarre!