Sariel

42115 Lamborghini Sián: Full Hands-on Review [VIDEO]

Very good review.  Best comment in the whole review, at least for me was the comment about the Chiron feeling like "your Dad's car" after building the Sian.  That puts it in perspective.  I remember feeling the same way about the Chiron after owning the Porsche.    The density, the complexity, just felt so superior.  With all of the Chiron's flaws, I was willing to accept it as far superior to the Porsche.  If the Sian is something similar, to me at least that indicates Lego moving in the right direction....

To me, this would be a damn near perfect set after modding the gearbox to a more efficient design and adding HOG steering. 

I can't help but smile a little after reading everyone's comments about not liking this, modding that etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anything, but I know for myself that I will buy it at some point, build it vanilla and after some time take it apart  (911GT3RS and Chiron lasted about a year) to build something of my own design. All that lime :wub_drool::excited:

I feel relieved not having any of the 'pimp this set' stress going on for myself...

On 5/30/2020 at 4:27 AM, Sariel said:

Looks like I'm first. Ah, the things you can achieve by abandoning sleep :)

Nice Video! Thanks for giving an in-depth view on the new Lambo. BTW, the following parts were already available in lime:

• Technic Axle and Pin Connector Angled #1
  • Technic Axle and Pin Connector Angled #5 - 112.5°

...in the 8649 Nitro Menace set from 2005. The other new lime parts - especially the new panels - are very welcome!

Edited by johnnym
corrected year of release

Nice job on the review, anyone else have their OCD triggered by the rear tyre not being on the rim evenly when the gearbox was shown?

Pleased to see printed parts which is to be expected in such an expensive set.  I do agree that it's a shame they can't add some fibre optic lights or something like that on such a premium set.

1 hour ago, paul_delahaye said:

anyone else have their OCD triggered by the rear tyre not being on the rim evenly when the gearbox was shown?

Oh yes, that really got on my nerves too, to the point that I covered that part of the screen with my hand...:sweet:. Doesn't change though that the video as a whole is excellent...

-Edit- Btw @Sariel do you still plan on releasing a speedbuild video? Not complaining or anything, I appreciate all the hard work that goes into any vid you release (I hope you did catch some good sleep after this one...), but I just love watching speedbuild videos and yours where among the best...

Edited by Rudivdk

6 hours ago, Sariel said:

Thanks, speed build video is coming tomorrow.

Looking forward to it:thumbup:

Excellent review as always! I would love to get this for the shelf! I also noticed you put the axle and pin connectors #1, #3 and #5 as new in lime, but they have been released before in this color.

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

Looks like I will have no answer for my questions... :sceptic: Honestly, I think the push of being first deducted the usual depth of your reviews @Sariel. Quality review, but definitely harmed here and there by the unnecessarily rush (f.e.: "7 or 8 speeds" never thought I will see such comment from you).

@agrof What are the questions? I'm sorry if after going without sleep for 32 hours in order to deliver this review on time I'm having a hard time figuring out whether a sequential transmission has 7 or 8 speeds when the difference between one and the next one is barely noticeable and there is no definite lowest and highest gear. What depth is missing? I've covered everything I could think of, the transmission, the suspension, the steering, every additional function, the looks, the box, the instructions, even took time to try and save you from making an error in step 951. What more can I do for you mate?

Thanks for the great review. Will be watching the speedbuild in a minute. What's interesting is to compare the ratings you gave this set, to those of the Porsche and Bugatti. It definitely seems ratings are going up, which is a good sign.

One question: what about the steering arms that are too long (9L where they should have been 6L)? Does it impact the steering in any way, and have you seen any reason why it's like this?

No, it doesn't seem to impact the steering, in fact the steering seems easier and smoother than in Chiron. The downside is the mismatched geometry when compared with the suspension wishbones, which means that the wheels move to the side a bit when at the top or bottom of the suspension travel.

25 minutes ago, Sariel said:

What more can I do for you mate?

Your patience is a virtue! I take my hat off to you.. :thumbup: :roflmao:

21 minutes ago, Sariel said:

No, it doesn't seem to impact the steering, in fact the steering seems easier and smoother than in Chiron. The downside is the mismatched geometry when compared with the suspension wishbones, which means that the wheels move to the side a bit when at the top or bottom of the suspension travel.

It works better, because the suspension design keeps the weight of the car better than Chiron's one.

Moving to the side means toe in / toe out - huge mistake on designer's side.

On 5/30/2020 at 9:37 AM, agrof said:

It is a beautiful review as usual! I am not a car-guy either, but this monster started to talk to me...

I miss some details from the video compared to previous ones from You (don't get me wrong, I admire and respect all the hard work went into this), but from what I see, I understand, that finally this UCS car, which has properly working basic functions: suspension works up and down, gearbox and fake engine without cracking, no shifting disorder. (Is it 7 or 8 speed? :classic:) And no stickers! If so, than despite some minor nitpicking, I can say: LEGO (especially Uwe) did the homework well, it is an excellent set. @Sariel Can you confirm this?

@Sariel Wrote in the first page, I quoted here again. I missed the technical insights, the other aspects were covered well - but this is a Technic set for me after all. Even if the effect is barely noticable in case of 7th or 8th gear, usually you provide facts regarding the set parameters, not guesses. No need to be angry nor annoyed, nobody pushed you to go 32 hours without sleep, it was your personal goal to finish it as you said, on time. And again: I admire and respect all the hard work went into this, thanks for doing this for years. All what I said, is that maybe it is not worth to push yourself that hard - but it is up to you.

Edited by agrof

You know how YouTube works. Either my review is first or I may as well not make it at all. And I wouldn't need to push myself if LEGO sent this set early, not after the official reveal, but no, of course, they have to try to secure leaks in all the wrong places.

20 minutes ago, Sariel said:

You know how YouTube works. Either my review is first or I may as well not make it at all. And I wouldn't need to push myself if LEGO sent this set early, not after the official reveal, but no, of course, they have to try to secure leaks in all the wrong places.

Don't be that strict to yourself, because it is definitely not true. You have built a serious audience with profound and quality content, personally I always watched your reviews, even if they came out later than expected and not even once. This is only what matters, I would be sad to see you getting away from this direction - and that's why I made my feedbacks above.

To the LEGO issue: what can be done if they lack the trust towards their aknowledged partners (I guess you should be handled like that as you definitely generate free marketing for them) - who, according to my memories, never ever made a leak... I know for sure, it is not something you should break yourself for, but this is only my opinion. Don't let the passion killed by pressure.

So: do finally the suspension and the gearbox working properly out of the box compared to the Porsche and the Chiron (Defender too)? No cracking, no sequence disorder, no saggy (not working) suspension?