ZCerberus

[MOC] MR2400 Horizon

So Let's start at the end, then go back to the beginning.

Here is the MR 2400 Horizon- another SHIP in my collection, featuring a big twist- it is not just a SHIP, but a full blown PC as well.

49947060448_097f6ac1eb_b.jpg 

Here is the SHIP with the PC screen out and ready to rock!

49947060868_d49c1a5289_b.jpg

So how did I get here?  Let's start at the beginning.

I recently went through a bit of a mini-dark age with my kids being a tough age to get building done but a reignited interest in PC gaming.  However, despite the Coronavirus pandemic, Brickworld Chicago was still on my calendar, so I needed to start building.  One thing about conventions is standing by your display and interacting with the public- while a fun part of the experience, it also limits my ability to see other creations and builders and interact with them.  My thought then was to create this SHIP with the ability to provide details to the public about my creation without always needing to stand next to it- plus, it will look cool at World of Lights.

How does one get a computer inside a spaceship?  Well imaginary person, I am glad you asked.

The picture below is not day one, but day 7-a week after the official start of the project- which was March 20.  I originally planned to house the power supply elsewhere, but with the way this was shaping up, there was plenty of empty space behind the screen for the PSU.I have the screen fitted to give me the height requirement and the PC, a Ryzen 2400G on a B450 motherboard, 16 GB of RAM and a M.2 disk drive installed.

49949209747_60fdca37ce_b.jpg

The next day I get to work adding some details to the base of the ship and start test fitting the side panel that will cover the screen when the SHIP is in full LEGO mode.

49949209082_99a3f29b13_b.jpg

The next day I have the full side panel done and hinged as well as the middle transition piece that will enclose the PC inside the SHIP.

49949210022_88d4c973e7_b.jpg

On April 1, less than 2 weeks after day zero, I have added the PC's "Side Panel".  I think at this point the ship sort of looks like whale- which is fine if you have faith in the vision, but I was a little worried it wouldn't turn out as well as I had first envisioned. I also added an RGB intake fan right above the processor- I had thought to make it an exhaust fan, but I was concerned it would compete too much with the cooling fan it was located next to since they are both oriented in the same direction.

49948416323_bfaa0213a2_b.jpg

On April 3, it is time to start working on the back of the ship.  I love making engine cluster- and transitioning shapes.  I also make a small 4 fighter docking bay and attach it to the underside of ship.

49948920431_b8e9a0a868_b.jpg

A little break from progress pictures. as I worked on both the back end as well as some structural enhancements.  Admiral Froggy Von Toadstool overlooks the progress on April 6th.

49949208417_9cf1d36173_b.jpg

April 13 and one side of the ship has been "completed" enough to move to the back side.  Mirroring the other side to some extent isn't difficult, but it does require work and some effort to add some unique details to the other side.  Here you can see the PC placement without being blocked by the side panels.  I also began working on the top of the SHIP which includes a gun battery as well as some detailing on the rear of thew ship.

49948416348_b698ebb463_b.jpg

April 25- after waiting for some Bricklink orders to come in, the back side is finished and I have moved onto working on the front of the ship.  I know early on I want to build an armor plated section up front as well, but now it is time to add the structure to support it.  I also added armor shrouds to the extruding side engines and some support struts to hold it all together.  I also added the bridge and the top mounted guns and panels which will need to swing open to allow the side panel to open to expose the screen.  There is an additional intake fan behind the grills in the front.

49948417208_60056cb426_b.jpg

April 27- the front plating and central communications hub is added.  There will be a change to the stripping coming up, but I am overall pleased with the shapes.

49949160798_c85885de0d_b.jpg

The backside has been roughed in for a while, but is missing some pieces and details, which I begin doing on April 29.  This side of ship contains the number- MR2400 which is an homage to the PC "Master Race" and the 2400G at its core.  This shot also shows off the IO shield covering, the docking ring all my ships have possessed, moving the stripe on the front armor section and well as detailing and greebling on the front sections.

49949952917_8dfd59f3fe_b.jpg

That same day the one unfinished area is photographed as I work on a solution to complete the look.

49949952862_f4455e3ba5_b.jpg

April 30-

The SHIP is complete- or at least all major construction has ended, and the RGB fans are plugged and ready to rock.

49949660196_2c99bac1e3_b.jpg

On May 1, it takes it place on the shelf next to the other SHIPs, waiting for me to clear enough space to get my light setup out for final photos.

49949972867_1ee1232df7_b.jpg

Okay, so it took nearly a month, but the final photos were snapped and here they are with my Nikon D3500 (I need to work on my photo skills with it still, but the photos turned out pretty solid I must say!

49947849422_8559556288_b.jpg

49947849732_bd72fc8323_b.jpg

49947060953_d10837e600_b.jpg

Edit: made a video too!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zcerberus/49971392108/in/datetaken/

Potentially, one of the more ridiculous things I've seen done with LEGO but all so beautifully executed. The ship is wonderful in its own right. Exceptional work.

36 minutes ago, LucByard said:

Potentially, one of the more ridiculous things I've seen done with LEGO but all so beautifully executed. The ship is wonderful in its own right. Exceptional work.

I will take the first part as a complement.  Practical?  No.  Fun?  YES!

That is indeed ridiculous in the best way.  :laugh:  Definitely didn't see that twist coming, and you've done a great job integrating everything while still keeping the ship interesting and not just an obvious box built around PC components.  Great build!  :sweet:

Your ships all have a great look, which is why clicked in the first place, but I'm just speechless at this ridiculous and amazing inclusion of a PC into the build. Wonderful build complemented by a nifty transformer mode. I think I'm most impressed by the 8x8 grilles you've put to facilitate cooling, although of course the combination of colours and textures on the hull panels is eye-catching.

At first I couldn't believe what I was seeing ;)

Cudos for the idea and execution :) That thing rocks!

It's always cool to see what other hobbies AFOLs pursue, but it's rare to see anyone integrate their hobbies so seamlessly.  That SHIP is amazing, fits perfectly the rest of your fleet, and is all the more incredible for housing what seems like a pretty stout computer setup.  I just wish I could see this thing in person!

On 5/29/2020 at 10:44 PM, ZCerberus said:

I will take the first part as a complement.  Practical?  No.  Fun?  YES!

You read it correctly. :laugh: I find these kind of builds all the more impressive for that very reason.

Edited by LucByard

Must be the most expensive desktop housing I ever saw. Cool idea and tremendous execution.
Lucky for you, you didn't decide to only house the screen. Otherwise the lable 'Monitor 2400' would've been more appropriate. ;)

Practical question: do you think it will be easier to keep things inside dust free? I mean, there's lots of air intake going on, and in the usual computer case dust does settle...

4 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Must be the most expensive desktop housing I ever saw. Cool idea and tremendous execution.
Lucky for you, you didn't decide to only house the screen. Otherwise the lable 'Monitor 2400' would've been more appropriate. ;)

Practical question: do you think it will be easier to keep things inside dust free? I mean, there's lots of air intake going on, and in the usual computer case dust does settle...

It is a consideration of course.  None of the intakes are filtered so I would anticipate dust build up for sure.  It is not a daily driver though, so who knows how much time it will spend being on.  Good new is it requires no tools to take apart and clean!!!

I would have never EVER imagined a monitor hiding inside such monstrous ship. Amazing build, incredible technique, impressive color scheme. Fantastic attention to details, especially for the not-too-packed and very delicate greebling parts. Truly impressive, man.
Doesn't it overheat? Or gets in the way when shooting aliens?