Brixtof

[WIP] Winter Diorama - Update #8 "Fire Station"

Hello, here is my very first build since my dark age. I always admired LEGO train layouts and dioramas. Since I have some free time with the current situation (Covid-19), I decided to give it a try! At worst, I would have had a good time, at best I will have entertained you... because I will try to keep a video journal on my YouTube Channel.

I am by no means an experienced builder and I will try to link the sources of the techniques that I use.

My goal is to build a diorama that can be easily taken to pieces. This is why I choose the MILS module solution (http://www.abellon.net/MILS/).

On these modules I'd like to put Official Winter Village sets first and then if I become more skilled some of my own creations.

About the videos : I've made two types of content :

• Speedbuild videos where the build of the module is dynamic and take less than 5 minutes
  • Long version videos which are more relaxing and shows every single step of the build

On this topic I will only link the speedbuild version, you can check my YouTube channel if you'd like to view the long versions.

Baseplate #1 "The pond"

49854272593_6b3fbee4ce_c.jpg

LEGO Baseplate 01 - 73 by BRiXTOF, sur Flickr

Nothing fancy about this module, I had to build something easy to gain confidence. The track ballast standard is from L-Gauge

------------------------------------------------------

Baseplate #2 "Santa's workshop"

49855937593_8644ffa61b_c.jpg

LEGO Baseplate 02  - 87 by BRiXTOF, sur Flickr

This module contain the reason I wanted to build a Winter Diorama : 10245 Santa's Workshop. The tunnel is not very detailed, I wanted to put some headlight bricks on the underside of the arch in order to have some texture (Just like this tutorial), but because of the arch type the headlight brick doesn't hold. I'm not very happy about the snow cornice on the top-right, if you have any suggestions...

Here is the source of inspiration of this module : Swiss Alps tunnel with the Bernina Express

poschiavo-switzerland-january-2018-train

When multiples modules will be connected, I will add some trees and minifigures, this is just the base for now.

Thanks for watching!

Edited by Brixtof
Incrementing of topic's title

Looks great! Your videos are fun to watch, and informative. Thanks for sharing these!

I actually like the look of the snow cornice. Overall it looks really good. Maybe up close you can see gaps but I think anybody other than yourself looking at it will just see nice snow on the mountain. 

Hello, thanks for your feedback!

Here is the two modules connected together.

49856481796_d2250d2a7c_c.jpg

LEGO Baseplates 1-2 - 98 by BRiXTOF, sur Flickr

49856783497_e518596608_c.jpg

LEGO Baseplates 1-2 - 104 by BRiXTOF, sur Flickr

The next module i'm working on will be the hill with the path going to Santa's workshop. It's kinda crazy building snow in june, but maybe I'll have something worth to be shown this winter... :grin:

Thank you all for your kind feedback! It's very encouraging. I will post some pictures next week of my MILS module #3 called "Mountain trail".

Finally some updates on MILS module #3 "Mountain trail" :

49855948528_5da0e037f3_c.jpgLEGO Baseplate 3 - 107 by BRiXTOF, sur Flickr

49856788702_6a4c28146e_c.jpgLEGO Baseplate 03 - 113 by BRiXTOF, sur Flickr

Here is the inspiration/tutorial for the slanted rockwork : Brickbuilt.org

As always, a speedbuild video is available.

Next step is taking pictures and filming the 3 MILS modules connected together. I'm also making some Bricklink orders to populate the futur diorama.

Your videos fascinate me! How you just put the piece straight down without dithering. And I know it’s sped up but it doesn’t seem like there are pauses. Are you building from your own instructions??
Nice texture and layering. I’m really enjoying this series!

Hey, thanks for your nice comments!

@alsielou Yes, I follow my own instructions. In fact, I rebuild entirely every modules for filming. So you don't see on screen all my attempt and failures. The first module took something like 1 hour to rebuild. The second one took like 4 hours to rebuild (not including Santa's workshop), the mountain took more than 5 hours. The last one was the fastest one with 45 minutes. I'm very glad you enjoy the videos!

Here is a short video showing all four modules connected together. Next step is preparing the train tracks (9V) with the L-Gauge ballast.

Such an atmospheric winter landscape, I particularly like the frozen pond and mountain trail! Great work!

Here is a new update on the diorama : The 9V tracks with L-Gauge ballast.

What are your tips for cleaning the 9V tracks? I try to rub them with an eraser and the result seems to be good. Is there a way to prevent oxidation?

50309168912_ce514671c6_c.jpg2020_04_25 - LEGO Presentation Baseplates 04 - 50-3 by BRiXTOF, sur Flickr

50309004796_754ba447c0_c.jpg2020_04_25 - LEGO Presentation Baseplates 04 - 59 by BRiXTOF, sur Flickr

Here is a quick video showing the cleaning of the 9V tracks, the building of the ballast and finally the integration of the tracks on the diorama.

Next step will be the building of a large pine tree

My diorama desperatly needs some nature, here is the building of the first (of many?) snowy pine tree.

This technic uses a lot of parts but I think the result is worth it!

Magnificent! The layering of white over the green leaves really does produce a lovely effect. It will be good to see a bunch of these on your mountain. 
i had been looking forward to your next post. I’ve been studying the mountain in great detail as I build my own.  Thanks again for making these awesome videos!!

Thank you @alsielou! Your comment reassures me.

Sometimes I restrain myself of posting on the forum because I'm afraid people think I'm self-promoting my content. Which I hope is not the case, I try to entertain those who are interested and try to share my progress in this diorama.

The technic for the pine tree is greatly inspired by JAYSTEPHER and bigboy99899.

I have been following your thread since the first post; I too have a small Winter Village thing going on, so I'm very inspired to see your builds. I love the mountain and the layers of snow on the ground! Please keep posting updates! 

On 9/27/2020 at 7:30 PM, jpx said:

I have been following your thread since the first post; I too have a small Winter Village thing going on, so I'm very inspired to see your builds. I love the mountain and the layers of snow on the ground! Please keep posting updates! 

Thank you for your comment @jpx !

A quick look at the integration of the pine tree.

50544476188_ca7cc8d9ec_c.jpgLEGO winter village update #4 Work in progress 02 by BRiXTOF

50544467438_03315d5e65_c.jpgLEGO winter village update #4 Work in progress 01 by BRiXTOF

And as usual a quick video showing the work in progress :

Edited by Brixtof

Lovely addition to the scene! Do you already have plans on a train? What would it be?

Love every module so far! Love winter builds and will definitely follow this thread. This also is really great inspiration for my Christmas setup I plan to build this year.

The frozen pond looks so cool, immediately creates a great scene. I can’t wait to see some kids going ice skating there.

Santa’s workshop on top of the mountain looks really great too.

Is there a specific reason you went with light grey ballast instead of the usual black?

How big you want to go?

Cheers

Edited by Tierce

Excellent winter scene. I like the use of Santa's workshop and the details you've put into making the entire hillside.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:40 PM, adwind said:

Lovely addition to the scene! Do you already have plans on a train? What would it be? 

Thank you! For the moment I have the 10254 Winter Holiday Train in mind. But, I'm currently sourcing pieces in order to build a retired swiss locomotive (stay tuned).

On 10/29/2020 at 10:48 PM, Tierce said:

Is there a specific reason you went with light grey ballast instead of the usual black? 

How big you want to go? 

Thank you for your feedback! In Switzerland we have concrete rail ties (see attached picture) and my winter village diorama is a bit inspired by my surroundings.

I have no clue about the size, only the the joy of building motivates me (for now?). I guess I will made just a bit of scenery and not an entire layout...

On 10/30/2020 at 2:55 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Excellent winter scene. I like the use of Santa's workshop and the details you've put into making the entire hillside. 

Thank you!

Swiss-train-tracks.jpg