German Luigi

Alternative train wheel set with ball bearings

My next train will consist of 10 cars, each car weighting about 600g. In order not to overload the locomotive I decided last autumn to equip the train wheel set with ball bearings. At that time I found only the solution using modified train wheel holders from Legopold  https://www.flickr.com/photos/162569845@N05/25210157997/ and the solution using technic bricks from legoman666 https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/140479-ball-bearings/.

My cars are 7wide, the solution using technic bricks requires covering the wheels, but this will exceed 7wide. Using the first method results in a significantly different wheel holder height and I do not like that.

So I decided to develop my own solution (if Legopold had invented his improved method https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/174266-improved-method-to-equip-lego-train-wheel-holders-with-ball-bearings-no-cutting-of-the-wheel-holder-required/  earlier I probably would not have looked for another solution).

This is my result:

Zugachsen.jpg

I milled out the locations for the ball bearings:

Halter.jpg

Except the ball bearings I used only original LEGO parts.

For comparison: on the left side the original wheel set, on the right side the wheel set with ball bearings

Einzelteile.JPG

The ball bearings are steadily joined to the axle.

Due to the ball bearings the cars now run more smoothly and I do not regret my efforts.

Ludger

I love also ball bearings at my coaches but i don´t will cut the wheel holder. I have used @Legopold improved method with really good results:

Sorry, the video text is in german but i think you can see the difference

color code for the passenger cars:

- passsenger car with "red" / "yellow" tile, weight 838 gramm: no ball bearings, no oil, pure Lego equipment, identical cars, test for equal cars

- passanger car with "white" tile, weight 843 gramm: with ball bearings like improved method @Legopold

- passanger car with "blue" tile, weight 792 gramm: no ball bearings, original Lego wheel holder with oil

the result is simply: the ball bearings wins...

Thomas

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Ts__ said:

I love also ball bearings at my coaches but i don´t will cut the wheel holder. I have used @Legopold improved method with really good results:

Sorry, the video text is in german but i think you can see the difference

color code for the passenger cars:

- passsenger car with "red" / "yellow" tile, weight 838 gramm: no ball bearings, no oil, pure Lego equipment, identical cars, test for equal cars

- passanger car with "white" tile, weight 843 gramm: with ball bearings like improved method @Legopold

- passanger car with "blue" tile, weight 792 gramm: no ball bearings, original Lego wheel holder with oil

the result is simply: the ball bearings wins...

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

why did you add a string under the train axle?

If @Legopold had invented his method earlier, maybe I would not have even started with looking for another solution.

It took almost 6 months to get my solution finished. First I had to find an appropriate supplier for the ball bearings. The cheap ball bearings feel rolling roughly and I did not want to spend 2€ or more for a good ball bearing.

My first attempt with suitable ball bearings was good for heavy cars, but light cars ran significantly better with the orignal LEGO train axle than with my ball bearing solution, and so I had to find a better solution.

I compared my ball bearing train axles with the original LEGO train axles using cars that weight 685g. And, no suprise, the car with ball bearings wins:

http://youtu.be/QPJubrEsCwI

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPJubrEsCwI[/media]

Ludger

Edited by German Luigi
Youtube Video only shown as link, not as preview

Nice work there and great to hear it is rolling smoothly! ? Is everybody using those 2mm  x 5mm x 2.5mm ball bearings? I would appreciate a link to a decent seller for both bearings and rods...

Yes, I use 2mm  x 5mm x 2.5mm ball bearings, they are called MR52-2Z or MR52-ZZ. I bought 400 ball bearings at once at a local wholesaler. I use the original LEGO train wheel axle, this axle is usually a little bit thicker than the hole of the ball bearing, so I created my own techniques and tools to get the ball bearings assembled to the metal axle. I found some LEGO axles that can be assembled to MR52-2Z ball bearings without addtional tools, but after assembly the ball bearing still can move. If you are interested in these axles please let me know.

1 hour ago, German Luigi said:

why did you add a string under the train axle?

Hello Ludger,

the strings are only decoration, no function in my modell

look at the real "Görlitz III leicht" boggie, this have such small elements at the underside:

Germen boggie Görlitz III leicht

1 hour ago, German Luigi said:

The cheap ball bearings feel rolling roughly and I did not want to spend 2€ or more for a good ball bearing.

I use also cheap china ball bearings for cost reasons. I need 8 ball bearings per passanger car, i have 11 passagner cars finish and 7 todo. In case of 2 Euro per ball bearings -> too much money.

What I like about your solution is that the ball bearings are further out than the solution from Legopold. At Legopold I think it's great that you don't have to machine the axle brackets.

Both solutions works fine and have a big improvment for more coaches.

Thomas

In my book, the guys at BMR are one of the most important resources for the Lego train hobby, first thing I thought of when I read this thread. They also sell their axles ready to use, 14$ for four axles plus shipping sounds a bit more costly than what you guys here came up with. 

I will keep on following this thread, eye-opening so far!

Edited by Amoreternum

Last year got 20 Chinese bearings for like $4.  They worked great.  My problem now is my layout is not perfectly level and the cars will roll on there own in certain spots.  Have not installed bearings on all my rolling stocks as my layout is flat and not really needed, just wanted to try them out.

11 hours ago, LegoDW said:

Last year got 20 Chinese bearings for like $4.  They worked great.  My problem now is my layout is not perfectly level and the cars will roll on there own in certain spots. 

Ha ha, sounds  like you need handbrakes on some of your cars. If you actually needed the roller bearings on the uneven layout you could make some hidden stops, e.g., a good looking boxcar that is actually attached to the track.

11 hours ago, LegoDW said:

Have not installed bearings on all my rolling stocks as my layout is flat and not really needed, just wanted to try them out.

Yeah, if you are running short or light trains you don't need the roller bearings. But with the newest plastic split axle lego train wheels that threshold has probably shifted lower.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:48 AM, German Luigi said:

I bought some cheap ball bearings and checked them. The ones I got are not good:

[media]

Interesting.  Have you taken one apart to examine the insides?  Is there corrosion, unpolished surfaces, lack of grease/lubrication, etc.? 

2 hours ago, Cale said:

Bearings have a precision rating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABEC_scale

I recommend using bearings with a rating of ABEC 5 to ABEC 7 or equivalent. If your suppler can't tell you what the bearing's rating is, you probably shouldn't buy from them.

Cale

The best ball bearings I have meet German standard DIN 620 precision rating P0 which is equivalent to ABEC 1.

My impression: ABEC 1 is a minimun standard that has to be met. I assume from this point on the used grease / oil is more important for ball bearings in LEGO train wheel sets. But as I don´t know the grease / oil that is used in my ball bearings I can´t prove this.

Hi,

I have ordered cheap ball-bearings from different sellers. And I have to say that there are some differences between them, although prices have been quite similar.

So I would like to say that cheap ball-bearings can be sufficient for the hobby, but also can be a waste of money, depending on the seller and some luck, maybe ;-)

@German Luigi Can you publish the specifications of your test-site (e.g. height and length of the slope, weight of your cars etc.), please? Would like to re-do your test with my own rolling stock.

3 hours ago, BrickMusher said:

Hi,

I have ordered cheap ball-bearings from different sellers. And I have to say that there are some differences between them, although prices have been quite similar.

So I would like to say that cheap ball-bearings can be sufficient for the hobby, but also can be a waste of money, depending on the seller and some luck, maybe ;-)

@German Luigi Can you publish the specifications of your test-site (e.g. height and length of the slope, weight of your cars etc.), please? Would like to re-do your test with my own rolling stock.

In this video you can see the ramp in detail (from 1:27 on):

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPJubrEsCwI[/media]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPJubrEsCwI

Please keep this aspects in mind:

- Allign the car to the track (at 1:47 in the video I pushed the wheelset sideways to the track.)

- Place the track on baseplates. So they are exactly straight. Already small curves have an impact on the result.

Can anyone tell me what type bearings you need?
Most have a DIN normalisation
I might be able to get them from SKF, thus providing bearings that will last for the rest of your life:sweet:
No promiss, just will try.