Sariel

42115 Lamborghini Sián: The Unboxing Experience

The LEGO Technic 42115 Lamborghini Sián set comes in such a special packaging that LEGO asked me for a separate unboxing video. Here it goes!

Nice lights! It's funny, I was not asked by LEGO but apparently could read their mind about the separate unboxing video :laugh: The packaging is really special, love it!

lol.....they got the vents right on the box (back dorsal part of car) but wrong on the car. 

but seriously.....great lighting effects on video

1 minute ago, nerdsforprez said:

lol.....they got the vents right on the box (back dorsal part of car) but wrong on the car. 

but seriously.....great lighting effects on video

Looks similar on both i would say.

7 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Nice lights! It's funny, I was not asked by LEGO but apparently could read their mind about the separate unboxing video :laugh: The packaging is really special, love it!

Wow guys, you two should work together. Same idea, same editorial tools, even the title!......what are the chances...:grin: On the other hand, that box deserved the dedicated video for sure. :wub:

While having cool packaging is nice, I'd rather have a shoebox and no podcast or whatever and pay 150 bucks less. But I wont be getting it anyways, too expensive and weirdly colored for a parts donor...

I dont get it, how can the Rough Terrain Crane 42082 have more pieces and cost like 150 bucks less? Surely even Lamborghini isn't asking that much for a license?

you answered ur own question.  in a nutshell: hype.  

with the lambo, cool box, podcast, etc. with crane nothing. you don't have motor1.com, and the motley of other male dominated sites doing pieces on the rough terrain crane, like they are on the lambo.  hype equals moolah in today's world.....

38 minutes ago, Valkyx said:

Looks similar on both i would say.

the green panels sitting so much higher than the black fins is weird i would say....

17 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

While having cool packaging is nice, I'd rather have a shoebox and no podcast or whatever and pay 150 bucks less. But I wont be getting it anyways, too expensive and weirdly colored for a parts donor...

I dont get it, how can the Rough Terrain Crane 42082 have more pieces and cost like 150 bucks less? Surely even Lamborghini isn't asking that much for a license?

The aforementioned also has a motor ;-;

Interesting box, but honestly it would've been much nicer to be able to unfold it to have a display stand of sorts (a la the foldout Racers boxes, but just a display plate) as this is just wasted money into an "experience" that consists of unboxing building and throwing the box out to recycle or it occupying a place somewhere because it's too beautiful to throw out. Older sets with a plastic tray and window had an unboxing&building experience, this is just marketing experience. 

As much as I love the design of the exterior of the lego version of the car and return of glorious lime, the fuss and marketing hype around Sian is just :sick: Guess we as a community and consumers are the ones mainly at fault... 

Eagerly awaiting the reviews to hopefully convince me not to buy this set)))

Edited by syclone

1 hour ago, syclone said:

Guess we as a community and consumers are the ones mainly at fault...

Definitely.

And doing videos of unboxing saying "OMG this box is so beautiful" certainly doesn't improve the situation...

I never care about the packaging of a set when I write a full review.

No matter how great/poor the packaging of a product can be, it will never influence me in any way on how I rate the actual Lego model.

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

The crane is $300 and has more “technic”-al features then the Sian which is $380. I definitely wish the prices where cheaper but $80 more for a collaboration is stretching it. But it’s not that as you make it seem like. 

At least the RTC can do the work that assign to him! 

While this, you pay MORE just for the Box/Packaging and the only thing that this set can bring is the "HYPE?"??? 

I'm out... 

Shalom....

1 hour ago, Anio said:

Definitely.

And doing videos of unboxing saying "OMG this box is so beautiful" certainly doesn't improve the situation...

I never care about the packaging of a set when I write a full review.

Now matter how great/poor the packaging of a product can be, it will never influence me in any way on how I rate the actual Lego model.

I guess that's why TLG sends review samples to multiple people because we are not the same :) IMHO for the Technic supercar series the packaging is very important, it is very much part of the show. It started with the Porsche, was refined for the Bugatti and I think it is even one step ahead with the Lamborghini. These are display pieces and not really meant to be played so the experience TLG wants to max out is the building process itself, and that starts with the unboxing. Then with the extra details in the instructions, the podcasts and vlogs, the unique code you can use etc. And to answer a previous question about the 42082 vs. 42115, that one is about functionality, this one (and the previous supercars) is about the building experience, that's the extra $$$ you're leaving at the cashier. 

The unboxing experience is obviously something that many consumers do care about. Just look at the countless unboxing videos on YouTube featuring the latest and greatest tech products, and how many views they get. They want people to feel as though they are getting a taste of actually buying a Lamborghini.

Edited by therealjustin

I am definitely not the target audience for the UCS cars. The only box I still have is the BWE 42055, now used to store Christmas decorations. All the other ones went into a recycling bin. 

6 hours ago, GenericMIKE said:

The crane is $300 and has more “technic”-al features then the Sian which is $380. I definitely wish the prices where cheaper but $80 more for a collaboration is stretching it. But it’s not that as you make it seem like. 

I just looked up the price on the LEGO website yesterday, and it said 229.95€, sooo idk, I dont know prices out of my head...

https://www.lego.com/de-de/product/rough-terrain-crane-42082

7 hours ago, syclone said:

The aforementioned also has a motor ;-;

Interesting box, but honestly it would've been much nicer to be able to unfold it to have a display stand of sorts (a la the foldout Racers boxes)

Right, this thing is even motorized...Oof.

I loved these tiny turbo boxes that turned into a piece of road, with actual pinholes on the sides... Sadly I only ever got 2 in total, but I still have them :)

Wow!

Nice packaging, quote different from previous ones.

I just have a question:

Where is Box #1?

In the video I can clearly see boxes from #6 down to #2... than the last one is #0...

36 minutes ago, Rikus said:

In the video I can clearly see boxes from #6 down to #2... than the last one is #0...

It's #1 in fancy font.

6 hours ago, kbalage said:

IMHO for the Technic supercar series the packaging is very important, it is very much part of the show. It started with the Porsche, was refined for the Bugatti and I think it is even one step ahead with the Lamborghini. These are display pieces and not really meant to be played so the experience TLG wants to max out is the building process itself, and that starts with the unboxing.

While I understand this, I have the feeling that I'm genetically unable to appreciate a box and accept Lego as decoration.

All I can think of is dust, doge meme (wow, such paper, much feeling) and my cat enthusiastically scratching the box.:tongue:

1 hour ago, Sariel said:

It's #1 in fancy font.

OK, thanks

I was looking at the video on a smartphone screen... and the white outline on green font misled me.

Edited by Rikus
typo

I bought RTC for 214€ but I've seen it for 180€ or even less, so you can almost get 2 RTC's for the price of the Sian, and Liebherr is also in the same price range. I also find it hard to justify the price of the UCS cars, considering that while RTC didn't include any new parts, for the low price it is really great parts pack and it's also a complex, very playable set with a motor too. Makes a very nice display piece too if you're into heavy machinery. Liebherr on the other hand took remote control to a whole new level and included _a lot_ of electronics, while also bringing other new and very useful parts like the linear clutch and longer LA's.

So what's one paying for in Sian? Pretty box, couple of new parts and old parts in new colours and a nice license. And a very nice display set, if you're into supercars. I'm not saying it's a bad set, but it feels way overpriced.

But isn't it clear that "we" -- the long-time AFOLs and seasoned MOCers -- are simply not the main target audience for this set? The hype building, fancy packaging, color vomit, one-part-per-step instructions, ... this is all for a different audience. Don't feel "offended" by these things, because you were not targeted. "We" populate this forum, so we seem very numerous and vocal here, but our wallets only contribute marginally to the total money chased by TLG with this set.

So, seeing the video, if I get the unboxing experience correct, the way the middle black boxes are designed with this overlapping lip at the top, you "can't" take the boxes out in the correct building order (3, 4, 5, 6), but need to pick out 6 before you can reach 5?

That seems really weird.

@Sariel: I hope that for your review, you aren't going to use this weird super-wide font... It's very hard to read...

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

So, seeing the video, if I get the unboxing experience correct, the way the middle black boxes are designed with this overlapping lip at the top, you "can't" take the boxes out in the correct building order (3, 4, 5, 6), but need to pick out 6 before you can reach 5?

That seems really weird.

Take it as a countdown to box NO.1 and beginning of the building process. You must take all the boxes out anyway, to get to the instruction booklets. :wink:

The box is very nice, but surely the point of an unboxing "experience" is to EITHER be able to view ALL the pieces at once nicely displayed before your eyes (like the mid 90s sets), or it's to just get rid of the box to get at what's inside. In either case it's to present to you the awesomeness that is the build that awaits you, all in one big "oh my gosh" moment, and TBH I'm not sure how having 6 individual, plain....ish looking cardboard boxes really helps with that. If I have to be persuaded as to how it improves the experience then I guess it hasn't worked for me. 

I think one thing they could do (if the mid 90's boxes were too costly in a £350 set :wacko:) would be to have the same main box and upper box as the Sian, but instead of having the 6 individual boxes they could have a cardboard insert glued into the bottom, something sorta like this:

Box-Insert-Dividers4.jpg

....but not as deep obviously, and in black or something, so that lifting the top would reveal the parts to build the entire car, not just 1/6 of it. The wheels could have their own little segment as well, and I guess the instructions would just be laid on top, with the vertical walls of the cardboard insert being cut an inch lower to create a pocket for the instruction book to sit in. I dunno, just throwing stuff out there :laugh: