SNIPE

42115 Lamborghini Sian MODs and Improvements

@astyanax Oh man from the side the rear is so close to looking like the real thing. It’s just that lime diffuser now that needs to be swept, along with the system pieces next to it.

36 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

@astyanax Oh man from the side the rear is so close to looking like the real thing. It’s just that lime diffuser now that needs to be swept, along with the system pieces next to it.

Perhaps you can encircle on a photo which part you mean?

I think a big problem is that the edges of the model are too thick at the rear. In the real car, the outermost taillights are very near the edge. On the Lego model, there are another 3 studs to the side of the taillights. Also, the moveable spoiler is a nice gimmick, but it's disproportionately thick. I don't see obvious fixes though, Lego has its limitations and constraints...

On 11/23/2020 at 9:16 PM, astyanax said:

Lamborghini-Sian-Rear-View.jpg

for reference.

@astyanax Soz I think I got it mistaken. The green diffuser on the real thing is only slightly swept inwards, so it’d probs be too hard to do with Lego. Rather, the brickbuilt lime sides of the diffuser, and the panelling behind the rear wheel I think could be adjusted.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:07 PM, LvdH said:

@astyanax Really liking your mods. The rear end looks fantastic! The new bonnet is a big improvement as well. Any chance you could share the LDraw file? 

Virtual model and building instructions now available at https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-62340/astyanax/42115-cosmetic-changes-for-lamborghini-sian/ :sweet:

With big thanks to @jb70 whose virtual model I built upon!

Edited by astyanax
credits

On 7/1/2020 at 5:34 AM, RocketPuppy said:

You have plenty of time to build, then disassemble the Sian. 

RP, I'm a first-time Technic builder and I placed a single gear in the wrong hole so it doesn't engage when shifting. Are there any plans available to disassemble large sections of the car to get to the gear box without having to do a step-by-step tear-down (understanding larger sections like doors and seats could come off without tearing down further).

11 hours ago, astyanax said:

Virtual model and building instructions now available at https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-62340/astyanax/42115-cosmetic-changes-for-lamborghini-sian/ :sweet:

thank you very much.... if i understand you right, you have used @jb70 's BI und added your mods, right? i have already built the 1.1 Pimp up your Lambo so now i would be very convenient, which steps have to be changed - so for example i'm wondering if you have changed anything in book1 because all changes to the exterior are in book2...? so: is there a chance easily finding the changes between the 1.1 Pimp Lambo and your MODs?

again thanks a lot!

11 hours ago, astyanax said:

Thanks a lot! I’m really considering taking my Sian apart for these mods. Or... I also have a second one NIB, which should have less color inconsistencies. 

58 minutes ago, Kumbbl said:

thank you very much.... if i understand you right, you have used @jb70 's BI und added your mods, right? i have already built the 1.1 Pimp up your Lambo so now i would be very convenient, which steps have to be changed - so for example i'm wondering if you have changed anything in book1 because all changes to the exterior are in book2...? so: is there a chance easily finding the changes between the 1.1 Pimp Lambo and your MODs?

again thanks a lot!

Excellent question. I was already planning to expand the MOC description on the Rebrickable page to highlight which steps in the building instructions to look at for which of the mods in the bullet list there -- to make it easier for people to pick and choose which mod(s) they want to apply. But I didn't have the time to write so much all at once. I'm gonna try to do it over the weekend. :sweet:

@LvdH Taking apart is not necessary though. Although in the virtual model and building instructions the mods are applied to the pimped version, in reality I applied them to my 'factory-state' 42115. And I never pulled apart any significant sections.

1 hour ago, astyanax said:

@LvdH Taking apart is not necessary though. Although in the virtual model and building instructions the mods are applied to the pimped version, in reality I applied them to my 'factory-state' 42115. And I never pulled apart any significant sections

I’m aware, but if I’m going to do something, might as well do it right :wink: 

Plus, I’m going to be waiting a while anyway before I can do my next project. Lego Bricks and Pieces are sadly not that fast... (btw you mentioned a page or two back that you needed the new 2x3 panel, they are available now :wink:)

2 hours ago, LvdH said:

I’m aware, but if I’m going to do something, might as well do it right :wink: 

Plus, I’m going to be waiting a while anyway before I can do my next project. Lego Bricks and Pieces are sadly not that fast... (btw you mentioned a page or two back that you needed the new 2x3 panel, they are available now :wink:)

Fair enough. :sweet:

Yes I ordered the 2x3 panels in black last week already, but they're still "in warehouse", predictably. I expect they will look a bit better on the black rear fins than the published brick-built solution. If so, I might update the Rebrickable page.

While I was in B&P anyway, I also ordered more of the 2L beams of type OO in lime. Although I like the brick-built hood extension, I'd prefer Technic solutions. I still wanna see how those 2L- beams-over-flex-axles look when applied to both sides.

Just ordered the all the extra pieces needed minus some technic bits I had in stock, ended up at a around €50. Only the two lime 32184 are somewhat HTF, so if you can find a workaround that would be great for other builders :wink: 
250x250p.jpg?1595236915.2648902

My project for this weekend, can't wait to see the improvements :thumbup: 

Edited by LvdH

@LvdH There are 2 options:

1. Just skip this mod. I thought it would be slightly more accurate to move the small #21/22 panel toward the rear by 1M. Then on top of it I placed a bionicle tooth, which also hides the clip holding the flex axle (I dislike those clips). Part 32184 is used to keep the tooth in place. If you don't feel strongly about this little mod, just skip it.
  2. Replace part 32184 by the construction below. The blue axle-pin will then hold the lime, rotated, 2x4 L-shaped liftarm.

800x623.jpg

Now I see there's actually a bug in the instructions on the passenger side for this subassembly. I'll fix & update the instructions later today, using the alternative without part 32184 in lime. Thanks for pointing out its rarity. :sweet:

Just realized that the new 2x3 panel fairing is now available in LDraw. I think it looks great, even better than the brick-built solution now on Rebrickable. Shown below, the fins are 1M less tall but 1M longer (needed to accommodate the new panel). C'mon B&P, time to ship my order!!

42115_fin_v6.png

Edited by astyanax

Added some small aesthetic changes to the @jb70version from which I took the gearbox and the spring actuated doors.

Slanted the spoiler side wings, moved the spoiler 1 stud forward, widened the diffuser around the exhausts by 2 studs, made the outer two rear lights stick out back more (0.5 and 1 stud respectively), raised the mirrors, lowered the windshield, cleaned up the front wheel arches, changed the dashboard, cleaned the area around the door opening levers, switched the panels for the air intakes at de doors, changed the engine piping.

No digital version to share sry.

Pictures here since I can't seem to upload them to this page:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yQ9Ef9HZC2ZnLJmD9

Edited by Odinkuijpers

On 1/11/2021 at 10:51 PM, astyanax said:

On 1/13/2021 at 12:22 AM, LvdH said:

Just ordered the all the extra pieces needed minus some technic bits I had in stock, ended up at a around €50. Only the two lime 32184 are somewhat HTF, so if you can find a workaround that would be great for other builders :wink:
My project for this weekend, can't wait to see the improvements :thumbup: 

I've updated the inventory, building instructions, and virtual model on the quoted Rebrickable page. No more 85x85p.jpg are used.

20 hours ago, Odinkuijpers said:

Slanted the spoiler side wings, moved the spoiler 1 stud forward, widened the diffuser around the exhausts by 2 studs, made the outer two rear lights stick out back more (0.5 and 1 stud respectively), raised the mirrors, lowered the windshield, cleaned up the front wheel arches, changed the dashboard, cleaned the area around the door opening levers, switched the panels for the air intakes at de doors, changed the engine piping.

I'm seeing many many more mods too, impressive! Your new exhausts made me smile... I tried many ideas, one of them exactly like yours. :sweet:

On 1/4/2021 at 8:54 PM, SianIDK said:

Hello everybody, I'm new to the forum but not to the Lego world. What you guys do is magic, I'm glad I found the forum!

I recently acquired the Lamborghini Sian set + the led light set from Lightailing (https://www.lightailing.com/products/light-kit-for-lamborghini-sian-fkp-37-42115

Everything was looking good until I had to install the battery box Size: Approx. 65 x 45 x 15 mm. The instructions suggest leaving it in the interior on a car seat or center console, but it is huge and it looks really bad.

I was thinking on putting it in the front trunk but I will lose space for the bag. Do you have any tips or suggestions on where to put it?

Sian5.JPG

Nothing? Anyone?

7 hours ago, SianIDK said:

Nothing? Anyone?

If your build is for display only, take out the 8spd gearbox and put the battery box there.

Maybe you can wedge it between the roof and the 15L beam by removing the two T beams on which the rear hood rests.

11 hours ago, Odinkuijpers said:

If your build is for display only, take out the 8spd gearbox and put the battery box there.

Maybe you can wedge it between the roof and the 15L beam by removing the two T beams on which the rear hood rests.

I definitely think sacrificing the bag in the trunk is a better option than loosing the gearbox. Looking at the photo it fits almost perfectly in there. (Lets be honest the luggage bag doesn’t even look that good anyway)

This is how 42115 should have been! The instructions were challenging which I prefer over the dead simple LEGO set instructions (but maybe a bit too much for beginners), and the result looks much nicer than the original and it has actual playability too. 
1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

And the original (which I will soon disassemble for MOCs) besides the modded and improved version:

1280x960.jpg

As last area that could be improved, the doors still have room for improvement. Because of the way the hinge is built the doors move inwards when opened when they should actually go out. And maybe the side skirts could have a better flowing line into the 13/14 panels just in front of the rear wheels. 

Edited by LvdH

25 minutes ago, LvdH said:

This is how 42115 should have been! The instructions were challenging which I prefer over the dead simple LEGO set instructions (but maybe a bit too much for beginners), and the result looks much nicer than the original and it has actual playability too. 

Yeah baby! The difficulty level was set by @jb70, on whose model and instructions I built. :pir-sweet:

It would be awesome if you can post 1 or more of those photos to the Rebrickable page! :grin:

25 minutes ago, LvdH said:

As last area that could be improved, the doors still have room for improvement. Because of the way the hinge is built the doors move inwards when opened when they should actually go out. And maybe the side skirts could have a better flowing line into the 13/14 panels just in front of the rear wheels. 

Indeed. If you open @Odinkuijpers's pictures above, there's a potential solution to the issue of flow from side skirt to #13/14 panel. My main issue with the doors is that there's a big whole in them, at the bottom/front! Here they should actually extend all the way to the black #21/22 panel right behind the front wheel. The black #21/22 panel should lift with the door, as pointed out in Sariel's video review.

But I really ran out of steam... I've been staring at photos of the real Sian for so long; and you know what the funny thing is... the real car just remains an ugly beast itself. :laugh_hard: I don't think any amount of modding can fix that!

On 1/16/2021 at 3:51 PM, langko said:

I definitely think sacrificing the bag in the trunk is a better option than loosing the gearbox. Looking at the photo it fits almost perfectly in there. (Lets be honest the luggage bag doesn’t even look that good anyway)

Makes sense, thank you. I'll post the end result soon.

hi @jb70, hi @Didumos69,

Sorry but I don't understand if the steering moving parallel to the suspension arms, how can it be an Ackerman steering?

download.png

Edited by KevS
wrong quote

I finally found an easy solution to pimp up the spoiler lift mechanism. By the use of a worm gear we get a self-locking HOG spoiler control, that will keep locked in position either low or high or in every position in between. With this mechanism we can replace all friction pins in the mechanism with frictionless ones to get an easy and smooth operation.

800x800.jpg

On 1/24/2021 at 3:34 PM, KevS said:

hi @jb70, hi @Didumos69,

Sorry but I don't understand if the steering moving parallel to the suspension arms, how can it be an Ackerman steering?

download.png

Ackerman steering is created by offsetting the the connection points of the wheelhub-wishbones to the wheelhub-steering linkage. How you link the two wheels has no influence. With a 3 part linkage between the wheelhubs the center piece (the gear rack) can stay parallel to the axle.

3 hours ago, jb70 said:

I finally found an easy solution to pimp up the spoiler lift mechanism. By the use of a worm gear we get a self-locking HOG spoiler control, that will keep locked in position either low or high or in every position in between. With this mechanism we can replace all friction pins in the mechanism with frictionless ones to get an easy and smooth operation.

800x800.jpg

Nice!