SNIPE

42115 Lamborghini Sian MODs and Improvements

boy oh boy these instructions are a nightmare and I only tried building the gearbox. it has a load of sub assemblies just slapped on but it does not say how to build those sub assemblies. Can we fix that please ?

9 hours ago, astyanax said:

Ah, I saw them on your flickr, via your Senna thread, before reading this post!

Your solution may indeed be simpler, although it may look slightly "bulkier" as there's more black liftarms at the ends of the bars. But I'm just nitpicking to justify my own contrivance, obviously. :grin:

True, but if anything your solution makes it look thinner, where’s as mine keeps it more or less similar to the original. I don’t mind having more black anyway, as it fills the gaps more. But honestly I just did it that way because I was too lazy to work out how you attached yours :laugh:

1 minute ago, langko said:

True, but if anything your solution makes it look thinner, where’s as mine keeps it more or less similar to the original. I don’t mind having more black anyway, as it fills the gaps more. But honestly I just did it that way because I was too lazy to work out how you attached yours :laugh:

You could've asked... :innocent2:

Anyway, it costs 8 of 85x85p.jpg which you may not have lying around...

2 minutes ago, astyanax said:

You could've asked... :innocent2:

Anyway, it costs 8 of 85x85p.jpg which you may not have lying around...

I only have 6. I tried using these at first to hold the bars, but I found the top one was colliding with the dark grey connector so I just gave up and did the easy way haha

1 hour ago, langko said:

I only have 6. I tried using these at first to hold the bars, but I found the top one was colliding with the dark grey connector so I just gave up and did the easy way haha

True, you'd have to move the DBG connector 1 module down, which is easy but costs yet another few extra pieces. When I find the time, I'll make some instructions for my mod of the headlights as well as the taillights. :sweet:

Anyone else unhappy with the way TLG rendered the exhausts?

Been tinkering a bit, and I think I found something more accurately hexagonal:

42115_exhausts_v1.png

42115_exhausts_v2.png

This alternative extends out exactly as far as TLG's original. Compare with source material:

Lamborghini-Sian-Rear-Side.jpg

Lamborghini-Sian-Rear-View.jpg

Sorry, no real photo of my alternative, as I don't have the required System parts in my inventory -- yet.

On 8/2/2020 at 2:46 AM, LegoHoops said:

50178524307_7ede2653b6_c_d.jpg

When I started playing with the shape of the rear of the car, I saw these sloping wedge shapes in my daughter’s Ninjago dragon’s - so I got a selection of similar Lime wedges and slopes via BrickLink to play around with.

So after adapting the exhaust, it was exactly that spot that stood out as weirdly shaped, emphasizing it even more. I searched through my inventory for lime-colored wedges, which yielded only 1 of each of these guys:

85x85p.jpg85x85p.jpg

After some tinkering, I've come to believe that they're actually perfect for attaining the right shape! Compare with the real Sian photos which I posted above:

1280x733.jpg

From this angle especially, we can see that weirdly rectangular corner on the right, versus the smooth lines on the left:

1280x859.jpg

But does it fit? Why yes! Angled at 22.5 degrees, there is just enough space, as this bottom view proves:

800x616.jpg

@astyanax

I love your modifications. Both the exhaust and the bumper look fantastic.

Can you please let me know what parts you used exactly?

@mellos Welcome to Eurobricks!

I was still tinkering with it, as I had some new ideas... I'll see if I can wrap it up over the weekend and post my edited virtual model.

Exhaust pipes look great! In terms of the sides I think I like legohoops solution better because it doesn’t have the studs showing.

20 hours ago, mellos said:

@astyanax

I love your modifications. Both the exhaust and the bumper look fantastic.

Can you please let me know what parts you used exactly? 

Here you can see which parts I removed and added so far, with respect to the pimped Sian:

https://rebrickable.com/sets/compare/slow/?1-set=MOC-46782&1-inv=68462&1-user_list=&2-set=&2-user_list=47533

I'll post the actual mods once I've verified them physically (I'm waiting for a few parts to build the exhausts).

11 hours ago, langko said:

Exhaust pipes look great! In terms of the sides I think I like legohoops solution better because it doesn’t have the studs showing.

That's entirely personal I guess. I'm not bothered at all by some studs -- in fact, it gives me a nice bit of nostalgia. :blush:

Anyhow, the Sian is on a shelf next to my 26-years-old 8880 Supercar which has studs all over, so no-one is gonna notice any on my Sian! :grin:

22 hours ago, astyanax said:

@mellos Welcome to Eurobricks!

I was still tinkering with it, as I had some new ideas... I'll see if I can wrap it up over the weekend and post my edited virtual model.

Thank you! I've been a long time lurker.

I have this set on the way atm and I'm quite excited since it's my first Lego supercar. But, building is half the fun for me. Modding is the other!

I'm trying to make an adjustable ride height but where the suspention still has a little travel even when the ride height is fully low but have spend like half a yearfor 220 alone trying but cant seem to work. I can get what I want to if the springs are placed like on lower wishbone and are more vertical but this is now how they are on the lamborghini.

I've been a long time lurker. Looking to add a Lamborghini Sian to my collection. All of these improvements looks great, however, being unfamiliar with Bricklink and not having a huge stash of spare parts at my disposal, are there any improvements here that I can still try out?

33 minutes ago, alex1984 said:

I've been a long time lurker. Looking to add a Lamborghini Sian to my collection. All of these improvements looks great, however, being unfamiliar with Bricklink and not having a huge stash of spare parts at my disposal, are there any improvements here that I can still try out?

Welcome in the light!

So you'll be looking more for "subtractive" improvements. One obvious and simple mod is to make the engine top easily detachable by skipping step 332. If you have 8 more blue axle pins 85x85p.jpg, use those in steps 847 & 852 instead of the black 4L axles -- this will make the engine cover feel more rigid and premium.

For other mods described in this thread, I suggest you start getting familiar with BrickLink :sweet: as well as Bricks & Pieces (I prefer the latter for newly introduced parts as well as for small orders due to low shipping costs).

20 minutes ago, astyanax said:

Welcome in the light!

So you'll be looking more for "subtractive" improvements. One obvious and simple mod is to make the engine top easily detachable by skipping step 332. If you have 8 more blue axle pins 85x85p.jpg, use those in steps 847 & 852 instead of the black 4L axles -- this will make the engine cover feel more rigid and premium.

For other mods described in this thread, I suggest you start getting familiar with BrickLink :sweet: as well as Bricks & Pieces (I prefer the latter for newly introduced parts as well as for small orders due to low shipping costs).

Thanks for the response. Mechanical mods that I'm curious to try out would include didumos's improvements on the transmission, and Ackerman steering. More cosmetic mods would include adding a hinge and strut to the hood of the vehicle, and maybe the rear exhaust/light mods. Are there any mods to improve the look of the front of the vehicle?

41 minutes ago, alex1984 said:

Are there any mods to improve the look of the front of the vehicle?

Well, what do you think looks wrong or bad?

Knowing that might already give you an idea of how it should be improved...

9 hours ago, astyanax said:

Well, what do you think looks wrong or bad?

Knowing that might already give you an idea of how it should be improved...

Based on the pictures, I think the bonnet can stand to be a bit wider.

Another day, another idea. Is this an improvement?

42115_frontlights_v2.png

The idea is a result of my silly insistence to have a glow-in-the-dark 1x1 round tile as headlight, which looks awkward if the headlight is not inset as in the real car. My solution is to replace the black #1/2 panels under the hood by #13/14 panels, set at an angle, such that they partially curve over the headlights.

If the #13/14 panels look a bit bulky, that's because of the gap between the curved tapered panels on the hood and the 19L flex axle, I think... But I really like how the #13/14 panels perfectly continue the curve of the black 3x13 panels over the front wheels.

Compare original / mod:

42115_frontlights_v3.png

For reference:

lamborghini_sian_98.jpg

I'll try it on my model when I get home next week, and share some photos (unless y'all agree it's an awful idea.....).

I also had this solution, surrounding each headlight with 2 tapered flags. 85x85p.jpg

42115_frontlights_v4.png

It fits well. But I like it slightly less as it's less "technic"...

On 11/23/2020 at 9:16 PM, astyanax said:

Lamborghini-Sian-Rear-View.jpg

20210103_152521.jpg

Finally the parts arrived to finish the exhausts, so here's my photo. Also, I found a way to get rid of that the silly plaque: the printed 4x6 tile fits perfectly as license plate, as in the show car quoted above. Best idea I've ever had. :pir-sweet:

20210103_151428_HDR.jpg

As for the front:

On 12/30/2020 at 4:26 PM, astyanax said:

lamborghini_sian_98.jpg

My model now looks suitably angry:

20210103_151927_HDR.jpg

I've also been experimenting with filling that gap between the hood and the 19L flex axle. Spanning a 14L flex axle in between them does a good job. Tunneling both through a series of 85x85p.jpg finishes the job. I like it. But I understand this technique is not universally appreciated on this forum, so I don't expect to be applauded here. :innocent:

20210103_152129_HDR.jpg

Edited by astyanax
typo

Great job! Exhausts look wayyy better. Very clever idea with the number plate, I might have to do that too...