SNIPE

42115 Lamborghini Sian MODs and Improvements

(Posted this on the Sian page but was told to do it here)

I think a good MOC idea that I've wanted as a Lego set for a long time would be an Aventador LP700. I was thinking that you could recycle the chassis, interior, engine, door mechanism and gearbox as its the same in the Aventador as the Sian. All you would have to do is change the body up a bit and modify the wing mechanism to cater for a different angle and I think it would be pretty cool. I'm eagerly waiting to see Sariel's finished Aventador because its got a lot of motorised functions. I would start designing my own but I don't have the time, money for a new Sian(Its actually been OOS in Aus for over 2 months now) or parts to design one. I will probably make some designs with the "Pimp my Lamborghini" on Stud.io but I cannot find a file for it to import into Stud.io. If anyone has a prebuilt model I would love t use it.

2012-lamborghini-aventador-LP-700-4-promo.jpg

Edited by OnyyX

@OnyyX Yes I think this could be done too, and I like the Aventador. But I for myself would rather build the car from scratch, building the gearbox&drivetrain is the most fun imo :)

It does look better.

But I can't afford the Sian...

Does this count as a mod? I managed to get the model to almost 30 km/h while keeping and motorizing almost all of the features:

2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Does this count as a mod? I managed to get the model to almost 30 km/h while keeping and motorizing almost all of the features:

When I saw the curb painted Lime, I cringed and LOL'd at the same time. Didn't know that was even possible... :snicker:

But holy cow that's 8 buggy motors, right?! And they snap off even the new CV joints... yikes!

Do you have a virtual model of your mod lying around? Not that I have 8 buggy motors, but the motorized doors is certainly something I'd love to see more of! :sweet:

46 minutes ago, astyanax said:

When I saw the curb painted Lime, I cringed and LOL'd at the same time. Didn't know that was even possible... :snicker:

But holy cow that's 8 buggy motors, right?! And they snap off even the new CV joints... yikes!

Do you have a virtual model of your mod lying around? Not that I have 8 buggy motors, but the motorized doors is certainly something I'd love to see more of! :sweet:

They snapped the U joints, not the CV ones, and it's using the 8 new motors we developed for use with BuWizz, which a bit stronger than lego RC ones. I may make an LDD model in the future.

4 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

They snapped the U joints, not the CV ones, and it's using the 8 new motors we developed for use with BuWizz, which a bit stronger than lego RC ones. I may make an LDD model in the future.

Awesome, lots to look forward to!

On 9/24/2020 at 5:16 PM, Zerobricks said:

new motors we developed for use with BuWizz

@Zerobricks: are you really developing a new product for your BuWizz line? If so when can we expect them to market?

1 hour ago, m3eu said:

@Zerobricks: are you really developing a new product for your BuWizz line? If so when can we expect them to market?

Yes, we are developing the motors, but currently we have issues with housings, so can't answer you right now.

Hello, everyone.

Here to share my full RC Lamborghini Sian made by the original set and the motors plus one BuWizz.

The gear ratio is 1:1.56

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=690320408198178

Remote control the doors and the spoiler test video
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1479982322202274

Light kit video
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3162652330489486

4WD test video
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1102711356792423

Edited by WW Bricks Studio

On 8/19/2020 at 6:18 PM, gethema said:

Now that vacation is finally here, I've decided to re-build the Sian, this time in the pimped version.

One of the things that bothered me most with the original model was the fact that the doors and the spoiler frequently didn't stay in place, especially when lifting, moving or tilting the model to see its belly. 

So, having a few spare springs lying around, I tried to integrate simple spring-loaded locking mechanisms for the doors and the spoiler, with minimal to no changes to the chassis of the car (and with as little extra parts as possible).

Wow, thank you @gethema!!!

That is a great improvement for the doors. I have choosen your solution to be included in Pimp up my Lamborghini v1.1, which I released today. 

640x360.jpg

Once working on pimping up the scissor doors, (and to be honest, the scissor doors are for sure one of THE iconic features of the Sian and many other Lamborghinis so far) I added some further MODs to the scissor doors to reinforce their link and guidance. 

640x640.jpg

As a result we now have smoothly working scissor doors, that do not wobble any more and stay in place, no matter if they are opened or closed, even if you turn the car upside down to show its nice internals from the bottom. 

Awesome stuff @jb70!

I was just flicking through the new instructions -- which are beautiful -- but I was thinking, maybe you can re-render them with red outlines enabled, to highlight newly placed pieces per step?

Oh and a full inventory at the end? :sweet:

What do you think of replacing the rear lights by some transparent construction?

800x355.jpg

Compare with original:

1280x830.jpg

Yes, the lights are in exactly the same position.

I prefer original ones (even though aren't transparent) because they do these two little corners in each ligt instead of yours that are completely round.

lambo-1930.jpg?itok=jxGiKTn2

Encouraged by @Gray Gear, I've also made an attempt at transparentizing the headlights. The obvious challenge is that transparent bars are only available up to 4L, some of which will be occluded by its connection point -- whereas the original white 6L bars stick out by about 4.5L. But I think there's an acceptable (to me) solution. The pin on the crank piece 85x85p.jpg holds bars more tightly than regular pins, so the bar would not have to be inserted so deeply. Moreover, the crank piece has a nice slender profile. And it turns out, they fit on all 3 ends (with minor adaptations). What do you think?

800x615.jpg

800x519.jpg

This demo uses the more widely available Trans-Light Blue bars, but there also exist 4L Glow In The Dark Trans bars -- hard to get, but that would finally allow replicating the glow effect seen in early presentation video. :grin:

@astyanax very nice mod, these glow in the dark bars are about 80 cents a piece on Bricklink, which isn't as bad as I expected considering they were only in 2 tiny turbo cars fom 2008.

The car looks definatelly closer to the real car with the small round lights at the top added.

But I wish that the round light wasn't there on the real car, and on the model as well. It makes the "eyes" of the car look really weird, and is one of the things I absolutely hate on the sian. But that's just my personal taste :wink:

16 hours ago, astyanax said:

800x519.jpg

Nice Mod.

Edited by SNIPE

On 11/4/2020 at 7:35 PM, Gray Gear said:

these glow in the dark bars are about 80 cents a piece on Bricklink, which isn't as bad as I expected considering they were only in 2 tiny turbo cars fom 2008.

Indeed, I went ahead and ordered 6 bars, as well as 2 glow-in-the-dark round tiles. I agree the eyes are weird, but I wanted to complete the picture. :snicker:

So here's the result. This photo was taken in complete darkness, after shining my phone's flasher on the headlights for a few seconds.

800x422.jpg

I hope @Sariel will be pleased to see this as well... :wink:

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

@astyanax Very nice this is how the sian should have been right out of the box :grin:

Agreed and I hope TLG is reading this. Replace all the white bars and pieces representing lights with glow in the dark ones :wub:

4 hours ago, Sariel said:

@astyanax

<gif>

Ow noes, I traumatized The Hamster!

:laugh_hard:

Anyway, for people who wanna try the glow-in-the-dark headlights, I'd recommend to use the "white" glow bars, not the "trans" glow bars, despite @Gray Gear's valid point that "transparent things should be transparent".

Reasons:

• They're cheaper / more abundant.
  • The trans glow bars have a greenish tint even at daylight, decreasing their distinction from the lime bodywork, and thus decreasing the distinctiveness of the car's overall look.
  • They can be matched with white glow round tiles, which aren't available in trans glow.

Caveat: I don't (yet) have white glow bars, so I can't tell for certain they are less greenish. Maybe someone else knows?

Thanks for this idea! I used the 'white' glow bars so there is no greenish tint during the day. I attached them with part number 18651 instead so I didn't have to modify much of the model.

IMG-4997-2.jpg

1 hour ago, langko said:

Thanks for this idea! I used the 'white' glow bars so there is no greenish tint during the day. I attached them with part number 18651 instead so I didn't have to modify much of the model.

Ah, I saw them on your flickr, via your Senna thread, before reading this post!

Your solution may indeed be simpler, although it may look slightly "bulkier" as there's more black liftarms at the ends of the bars. But I'm just nitpicking to justify my own contrivance, obviously. :grin: