SNIPE

42115 Lamborghini Sian MODs and Improvements

On 6/21/2020 at 9:01 PM, jb70 said:

If you like, take a look at the digital model (MPD) and building instructions (PDF) so far. The project is still WORK-IN-PROGRESS, but I will upload regular updates on this page:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/jb70/42115-pimp-up-my-lamborghini

I had a look, great stuff! I did notice you accidentally switched around some DBG panels in the seats...

I think I am finished now with pimping up the gearbox and drive train. I have build and tested it on a real model. Now everything is buildable. The pimped up Lamborghini looks and works very smooth.

MPD and PDF building instructions v0.12 are ready for download. 

42115%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Lamborghini%20v

Maybe we have the most compact sequential 8+R gearbox with central differential for 4WD and 8-1-gear-block ever designed with LEGO technic. Many thanks to @Didumos69!

42115%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Lamborghini-1-2

It works very efficient and looks beautiful in the car:

42115%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Lamborghini%20v

On 6/23/2020 at 4:40 PM, astyanax said:

I had a look, great stuff! I did notice you accidentally switched around some DBG panels in the seats...

@astyanax Thank you for your review. I have corrected this.

Next I will focus on pimping up the front axle. Didumos Ackermann geometry is a good starting point for that:

On 6/23/2020 at 12:58 PM, Didumos69 said:

Here's an attempt to add Ackermann geometry (and to get rid of the 9L steering links). Stud.io file here (based on @jb70's 3D file).

I noticed that the original steering has a little Toe-Out-effect: The wheels are pointing slightly outwards, because the 9L steering links are not parallel to the 6L suspension arms. 

Another issue are the white 4L bars sticking inside the suspension arms: 

800x800.jpg

I think they should limit the suspension from fully extracting. Maybe to lower the front axle compared a bit compared to the rear axle to give the car a more sporty look.

But they both suffered their job after only 2,5 weeks mostly standing still without heavy motion. They bended clearly visible under the load of the suspension and are already cracked a little bit. I think, we can leave them out. They don't work anyway. If the front needs to be lowered, we could add a 1L beam to the 3L axle inside the suspension arms.

2 hours ago, jb70 said:

I think I am finished now with pimping up the gearbox and drive train. I have build and tested it on a real model. Now everything is buildable. The pimped up Lamborghini looks and works very smooth.

JB70, any chance you have a good list of additional parts used here that are not in Box 1&2?  Or should I just be patient for this to appear in Rebrickable to use Compare Sets feature?

On 6/24/2020 at 7:55 PM, jb70 said:

Very nice! Thanks for putting this together!

Here's a 2 renders showing the before (back) and after (front). Note that the center differential is used in both Drive and Reverse.

992x558.png

992x558.png

EDIT: @jb70, I think the lime green (ox)-piece used to switch the high-low selector still needs to be reverted to its stock position in your files.

Edited by Didumos69

19 hours ago, DataNinja said:

JB70, any chance you have a good list of additional parts used here that are not in Box 1&2?  Or should I just be patient for this to appear in Rebrickable to use Compare Sets feature?

@DataNinja, so far I only have 80% of the build (Box 1-4) in my digital model. So would be difficult to compare. It's better to wait a few days until I finished the digital build. Then I will publish the MOD with part list on rebrickable. 

7 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

EDIT: @jb70, I think the lime green (ox)-piece used to switch the high-low selector still needs to be reverted to its stock position in your files.

@Didumos69, due to my tests in real life It should be in the correct (lower) position for 1st gear in version 0.12. It is already in stock position now, the same as in your pics above. I had it in the upper position in an earlier version (v0.9) in the last days, and corrected it with v0.10.

@jb70, @Didumos69 you guys are on a roll here!! Beautiful work sofar, looking forward to the final digital model so I can start rebuilding mine. I recently rebuilt 42056 in the pimped version and that works like a charm. Can't wait to have the Lambo running just as smooth...

I have pimped up the front axle and included this in v0.13 with MPD and PDF instructions:

The front axle has been optimized with

• Ackermann steering based on the design of Didumos69 with 6L steering links moving parallel to the 6L suspension arms
  • reinforced front axle to better keep the huge powers of the pushrod suspension 
  • leaving out the broken (and therefore useless) white 4L bars giving even more clearance of the front axle
  • added gear rack limiters to avoid grinding of the rims to the steering arms when steering is fully inclined. That leads to a slightly bigger turning radius of the car, but is still OK and somewhere in the middle between the Porsche and even better as the also 4WD driven Bugatti. 

42115%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Lamborghini-2-3

Awesome work, following it with great interest!

Those gear rack limiters could've just been 1x1 round plates pushed with stud into pin hole, right? Saves 2 pieces, wow my contributions are so valuable... :pir-classic:

Edit: well here's an actual bug report: in the gearbox, between the 8-tooth gear and blue 20-tooth gear, there's a rogue 1L beam. 85x85p.jpg

Edited by astyanax
yay I'm contributing

29 minutes ago, astyanax said:

Edit: well here's an actual bug report: in the gearbox, between the 8-tooth gear and blue 20-tooth gear, there's a rogue 1L beam. 85x85p.jpg

Well spotted and thank you for your review and close look! 4 eyes do see more than 2 eyes. I found the part and will fixed it within the next release. 

The gear rack limiter is indeed that simple, works also in the stock build. Your solution would also work, but not such a clean build. So I invested the two additional pins. :wink:

Thanks jb70, Didumos69 et al for another round of pimp-up project :).

My Porsche, Bugatti, and Land Rover are all in pimped-up state and now my Sian will be too.

I have a few suggestions for future mods, please decide if they are worth to be included in the pimped-up Sian project:

a. Uwe/Technic team gave us that "gearbox window" using new very large 11x15 frame.
But why don't we also extend that "window" to view the gear shifting mechanism too :).
Please look at 42115 Book 1, step 137-138-139.
I "remove" those Technic 7M beam in lime and "shorten the Technic 13M beam in grey" to 5M.
This way, the underbelly shot that you showed to us will be "even more beautiful" as you can now see the entire connection from front axle - gearbox - rear axle.

On 6/25/2020 at 1:55 AM, jb70 said:

It works very efficient and looks beautiful in the car:

b. For those who have already built stock 42115 but wants to do this pimped version, I have the following technique to undo most of box 5 and box 4:

b1. Detach Sian's roof.
Detach the front windshield by undoing step 997
Take out 2 lime Technic Ang. Beam 4X2 90 Deg from step 785+786
Rotate two 2 lime Cross Block 90° from step 787
Undo the push of two black 2M Fric. Snap W/Cross Hole at the end of step 570.
A bit hard, but doable, wiggle the roof structure so that you can take out Cross Axle 4M With End Stop from step 571.
PS: If you want to turn this into "easy to remove roof mod", replace Cross Axle 4M With End Stop with Cross Axle 5M With End Stop so it is much easier to pull out.
This will be like Porsche's easy body removal mod.

b2. Detach Sian's nose
Step 888 puts 5x7 black frame that will lock the nose with the chassis.
"Force this open"... and you should be able to tear out the front nose without breaking many other things.
PS: If you want to turn this into "easy to remove nose mod", remove blue Conn.Bush W.Fric./Crossale pin from Step 362+363 and blue Connector Peg W. Friction 3M from Step 376+378,
and replace it with easy to detach alternatives like Cross Axle 4M With End Stop or 2M Fric. Snap W/Cross Hole.

b3. Detach Sian's entire rear.
Undo the push of two red 2M Fric. Snap W/Cross Hole in step 518.
Undo step 686+736, push those 2x3 blue Connector Peg W. Friction 3M out.
If you wiggle stuffs around carefully, you should be able to detach the entire rear plus two rear mudguards :).
I am still thinking on how to make "easy to remove rear" mod.

Now my Sian is nearly at end of box 3 state, will continue the deconstruction process in the next few days to apply the pimped up modifications.
The side+seat probably can be modified to make it easy to detach too.

c. I don't like red 2M Cross Axle W. Groove and red Cross Axle 4M visible from Sian's skin.
Fortunately, inside 42115 set, we have black 2M Cross Axle W. Groove and black Cross Axle 4M.
So here is a "free" color vomit reduction mod.

c1. Replace 9 black 2M Cross Axle W. Groove from the rear wing on step 772-783 with the red ones, they are buried anyway.
Now use your free 2M black axles to replace a few red spots in the front epsilon lights :)

c2. Replace 4 black Cross Axle 4M from the exhausts on step 583-586 with the red ones, they are buried anyway.
Now use your free 4M black axles to at Step 961+963+973/front hood (the red one is so annoyingly visible)

d. Sariel didn't give Sian an extra point or two because of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJWB3jnYf80&feature=youtu.be&t=1852
I found a "solution" to make the roof slightly stronger.
There is a "3-4-5 triangle" where you can put BLACK (not really visible, subtle) Technic 6M Half Beam to connect the pivot point of Toggel Joint at step 797 (replace short Connector Peg W. Knob with 1 1/2 M Connecting Bush) with the lime Flat Panel 3X11M (put another 1 1/2 M Connecting Bush at appropriate the hole of the 3x11M panel) -- sorry I have to use words to describe this.
This way, we can pick Sian from the front of the roof and it will be much harder to endure accident like shown in Sariel's video.
I just did it, it doesn't break :).

That's all for now.
Play well :).

18 hours ago, stevenhalim said:

a. Uwe/Technic team gave us that "gearbox window" using new very large 11x15 frame.
But why don't we also extend that "window" to view the gear shifting mechanism too :).
I "remove" those Technic 7M beam in lime and "shorten the Technic 13M beam in grey" to 5M.
This way, the underbelly shot that you showed to us will be "even more beautiful" as you can now see the entire connection from front axle - gearbox - rear axle.

If it's desirable to have the belly reveal more of the mechanics, it could also be an option to use the 11x15 frame played free by the gearbox mod...

800x388.jpg

800x391.jpg

Hi Didumos69

Today I manage to undo box 3-2-1 and started this pimped up modification.
I just realized that you *only* use 2 out of 3 11x15 new frame in the new gearbox :O and initially thought I want to build 42111 with that extra 11x15 frame.

But yeah, I also vote to open up the bottom of gear shift mechanism too in the pimped up version.
(our virtual driver/passenger - but they are only in our imagination - will be "sitting" on big hole but that's fine).

PS: small addition to my previous post

b3. Detach Sian's entire rear.
There are 5 more connections that have to be detached (I forgot to wrote it): Undo step 538, the rear wing connection and undo the entire step of 554.

1 hour ago, stevenhalim said:

But yeah, I also vote to open up the bottom of gear shift mechanism too in the pimped up version.
(our virtual driver/passenger - but they are only in our imagination - will be "sitting" on big hole but that's fine).

It would look cool when the car is displayed on a mirror :wink:

I would prefer @stevenhalim's first idea for the additional window in the middle. 

On 6/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, stevenhalim said:

42115%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Lamborghini_bot

It fits perfectly into the clean design of the underside giving an additional view inside on the "red" cardan shaft between front and rear axle, the yellow knob gears for the shifting mechanism and the 2 CV-transmissions for forward and reverse gear between gearbox and DNR-switch. So thank you @stevenhalim for this idea and a warm welcome to be part of the Pimp Up My Lamborghini project, now. 

I have updated v0.14 with this MOD, made some better fixing of the two 8t-gear-axles before the DNR switch and completed the digital model. So far the PDF building instructions only contain the chassis with all the MODs until somewhere in the middle of Box 3. There are no changes afterwards, so you may continue build with the original TLG instructions from that point.

I am still waiting on the new parts to be published on ldraw.org to complete building instructions and finally publish this MOD on rebrickable.com.  

Edited by jb70

You guys are amazing (jb70 and didumos69 et al). This is more fun than the stock build by far. A minor question - is the black technic pin used in step 11 page 7 correct? It seems to interfere with the grey 3L pin with stop bush installed at step 6 page 10. Or am I missing something basic? Thanks.

8 hours ago, jb70 said:

I would prefer @stevenhalim's first idea for the additional window in the middle.

8 hours ago, jb70 said:

It fits perfectly into the clean design of the underside giving an additional view inside on the "red" cardan shaft between front and rear axle, the yellow knob gears for the shifting mechanism and the 2 CV-transmissions for forward and reverse gear between gearbox and DNR-switch. So thank you @stevenhalim for this idea and a warm welcome to be part of the Pimp Up My Lamborghini project, now.

:thumbup:

Edited by Didumos69

8 hours ago, jbuccino said:

A minor question - is the black technic pin used in step 11 page 7 correct? It seems to interfere with the grey 3L pin with stop bush installed at step 6 page 10. Or am I missing something basic? Thanks.

Well observed! The black pin was left over from a previous design. I will delete it with the next release. 

Thanks for your review!

2 hours ago, jb70 said:

Well observed! The black pin was left over from a previous design. I will delete it with the next release. 

Thanks for your review!

My total pleasure! I think I have just contributed the theoretical minimum to the project. Removing exactly one instance of the most common part. :-) At least now I have only one direction to go. :-)

Excellent job jb70 and Didumos for the pimp up progress so far! How is it in real life? Is there less friction? 

Also these challenging mods would be interesting to see:

Rear steering 

Functional brakes

Suspension adjustment 

Caster angle on the front

One other thing I noticed. On page 66, sub-step 40 - I see only one black 3L pin with stop bush used but in the inventory box on that page it lists 2. Is it there and I just can't find it or should it only be 1 in the inventory. Thanks.

On 6/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, stevenhalim said:

The side+seat probably can be modified to make it easy to detach too.

I found an easy MOD to be able to remove the seats without bending too much beams and to to easy attach them again. Just remove the dark bluish grey 4L axle with stop and you can easily remove the seat, because the 2nd attachment is now also a 3L axle holding the lime 3L beam. To reattach the seat, plug it into the 3L axle and then plug in the 4L axle with stop to finally fix it.

42115%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Lamborghini-3-1

This MOD and some bug fixes are part of v0.15.

6 hours ago, jbuccino said:

One other thing I noticed. On page 66, sub-step 40 - I see only one black 3L pin with stop bush used but in the inventory box on that page it lists 2. Is it there and I just can't find it or should it only be 1 in the inventory. Thanks.

Fixed!

v0.15 is now available with building instructions until page 131. There are no changes afterwards so far, so you may continue with TLG original instructions from that point. 

Hi jb70/Didumos69,

On 6/28/2020 at 6:03 AM, jb70 said:

Thanks for accepting my proposal of widening the "window". I have now spent last weekend - today to rebuilt v0.14 for test drive (my finger hurts after detaching hundreds of pins and reinserting them again).

The red cardan shaft idea can be further extended a bit:
v0.15 page 12 step 10, the black 6M axle can be changed to red also :), and 
v0.15 page 45 step 1, although we don't have red 9M axle (as it is odd length), we can cheat by putting a red Technic bush after the Technic, Pin Connector Perpendicular 2 x 2 Bent as this small section is visible from below.
Now the entire red cardan shaft is really red, from front to back :)

Feedback on BI:

v0.15 page 23 step 21, the two orange wave selectors must be at that positions before adding the lime Technic Beam 1 x 2 Thick with Pin Hole and Axle Hole to combine the two gearboxes, otherwise the gear sequence is messed up
(yeah I did that mistake).
The currently shown picture should be gear 1, and I have a feedback on that below.

Discussion of design choice:

I think they should limit the suspension from fully extracting. Maybe to lower the front axle compared a bit compared to the rear axle to give the car a more sporty look.

But they both suffered their job after only 2,5 weeks mostly standing still without heavy motion. They bended clearly visible under the load of the suspension and are already cracked a little bit. I think, we can leave them out. They don't work anyway. If the front needs to be lowered, we could add a 1L beam to the 3L axle inside the suspension arms.

You remove the white 4L lightsaber bar that is really the only way to make the car has positive rake, without that both front and rear suspensions are "equal" = flat.
Let's find a solution to make the positive rake back?
I look at Sian's side view several times, the car do feel that it slightly pointed downwards (positive rake)

To Didumos09, feedback about the DNR selector and the first gear.

The DNR selector, isn't it reversed?
In real car

(front of the car)
R
N
D

But the current v0.15 is:
D
N
R

(I am aware that reversing it will be very difficult due to gear shifting mechanism so perhaps we leave it as such?)

More important: My test drive currently show that first gear is a bit too excessive?
When I test drive it without the body, it works okay with the engine making very fast rattling sound :).
But after I put back the body (some weight added or I messed up something because of re-installation of the body), now gear 1 causes cracking sound somewhere -- haven't nail down the root cause

This picture should be gear 1, the first gearbox ratio is 1:1, the second gearbox ratio should be 24:16 (from wheel to engine) gearing up but the power crosses inside the blue clutch gear so there should be some friction there.

Gear 5 (which has the same setup in the second gearbox) is less smooth too, but the 12:20 * 12:20 (from wheel to engine) gearing down in the first gearbox).

Did I built something wrongly, some of my parts are not perfect and causes friction, or you are aware of this too?

Maybe we have the most compact sequential 8+R gearbox with central differential for 4WD and 8-1-gear-block ever designed with LEGO technic. Many thanks to @Didumos69!

16 hours ago, jb70 said:

v0.15 is now available with building instructions until page 131. There are no changes afterwards so far, so you may continue with TLG original instructions from that point. 

jb70 and team, thanks for continued work on this! Spent all weekend taking apart my Sian to start over with these.  Disassembled my pimped up Land Rover chassis for some donor parts as well...

Quick question, step 19 on page 22 requires a special part I did not have, you see any problems with this as an alternate?

20200629_105340.jpg

3 minutes ago, DataNinja said:

Quick question, step 19 on page 22 requires a special part I did not have, you see any problems with this as an alternate?

I also don't have that part in my spare, but I steal two from 42082 that has abundant copy of that.
(another one is needed on step 1 on page 31 as jb70 reversed the paddle shifter direction as per my pimped-up Bugatti mod before), but I think changing it with what you show or just 3M beam should be fine.

For me, two parts stolen from pimped up land rover until I am able to bricklink another are the middle differential and then one more blue clutch gear (3 used but only 2 in 42115 set).

To jb70: If you reinstall the positive rake, the current Ackermann setup will grind with the black 15M beam much lesser (and if you put on the body/nose - with some more weight), the inside of the front wheel (the one that turns more because of Ackermann setup) barely scrubs the 15M beam, so I currently remove the gear rack limiter again to increase the turning radius again :). And maybe I have some idea to make that 15M beam that we install on step 59 on page 88 (v0.15) don't grind with the wheel at all (at all positions, with positive rake or not) by... thinning the 15m beam into half beam :O. The purpose of that 15M beam on step 59 is to lock the middle of the chassis with the front of the chassis, I think half beam can be sufficient. Let me try and report tomorrow.