SNIPE

42115 Lamborghini Sian MODs and Improvements

@jb70 Very nice, the inclusion of a center diff was very important imo.

I know this won't be easy, but I dont understand why somebody would use 2x 8T gear in their drivetrain. These should be replaced to reduce resistance in the drivetrain imo.

6 hours ago, jb70 said:

That's a great idea! Of course also the reverse gear should be connected directly to the center diff.

There should be enough space in the Lamborghini to get it fit in, so it might work. I need to check tomorrow!

Cool! I noticed that the pimped Bugatti also has reverse engage with the front output of the differential and was thinking this could be improved for the Sian.

6 hours ago, jb70 said:

But, I think, we need to add at least on more gear pair in the orange gear track to change direction and make it get really a "reverse" gear, do you agree?

I agree! If you can somehow reverse one of the outputs of the DNR, than that would solve it. The 42053 had a DNR which really reversed, if I remember correctly.

I'm also not sure how the gear ratio in reverse compared to the other gears.

5 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I know this won't be easy, but I dont understand why somebody would use 2x 8T gear in their drivetrain. These should be replaced to reduce resistance in the drivetrain imo.

Because in a manual model this does not give problems if you brace them well. It's a general misconception that having 2 8t gears in a manual model lead to undesired friction. It works in the pimped Bugatti too and even helped reducing the overall friction in that drive train.

7 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

I dont understand why somebody would use 2x 8T gear in their drivetrain.

If you want to make a compact 8 speed gearbox with center differential you have to be resourceful.

Edited by Didumos69

8 hours ago, jb70 said:

Do you mean something like this (colored in orange)?Gearbox-didumos69-Gearbox%20new%20colour

If I'm not mistaken Reverse has the same ratio as 2nd gear in the above layout. Which is not bad for an 8-speed gearbox I think.

EDIT: I didn't take into account the different ratios in the DNR. The reverse ratio is actually smaller than 1st gear (by 4/5), which is fine too in my opinion.

Edited by Didumos69

9 hours ago, jb70 said:

But, I think, we need to add at least on more gear pair in the orange gear track to change direction and make it get really a "reverse" gear, do you agree?

Instead of using CV joints in the orange reverse train, you could use 2 8t gears to make a 1stud jump. The gearbox uses a pair of 8t gears, but the gearbox is not engaged in reverse. So there will never be two pairs of 8t gears engaged.

Edited by Didumos69

Here is a question 

does the original drivetrain have any kind of a central clutch?

Trivial Mod, but maybe be helpful to someone.  I present to you...Removable cylinder head cover!  Your lovely V12 is no longer hidden.

1. Simply remove 3L liftarm and 2L black pins holding down the cylinder head cover in the cockpit.  Also remove the 1x2 brick with pinhole at the front of the cover, replace the 1x2 graphite printed tile back onto the cylinder head cover even with the rest.

20200613_105558.jpg

2. Replace 2 black pins at rear of chassis stiffener beams with 2 blue axle pins

20200613_105538.jpg

Done!  Studs hold the cover in place, pull the stiffener beams out of the way and tug off the cylinder head cover to see the beauty of the V12 underneath.

11 hours ago, DataNinja said:

Trivial Mod, but maybe be helpful to someone.  I present to you...Removable cylinder head cover!  Your lovely V12 is no longer hidden.

@DataNinja Cool! Simple MOD, but effective!

On 6/10/2020 at 12:43 AM, jb70 said:

At first I would like to focus on:

• Adding HOG steering, and solve the rub on the rim issue
  • Adding center diff and gearbox limiter (try to place the mechanics from the gearbox of Pimped Up My Bugatti into the nice new frame window of the Lamborghini Sian)

The "Pimp up my Lamborghini" project is making progress.

Today I reached my second goal: Adding HOG steering!

And I also added HOG shifting! Which also works as a gear indicator on the dashboard. By the way I also reversed the paddle shifter, so now you will shift up, when you pull the right paddle towards the driver and shift down, when you pull the left paddle.

And another small improvement: Secure the two 2L-liftarms on top of the paddle shifters with two 3L-axles with end stop. I found a loose 2L-liftarm in my Lamborghini at first not knowing where it fell off. After a few days I recognized, they easy fell off from the paddle shifter, if you "pull" them :wink:.

42115%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Lamborghini%20H

42115%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Lamborghini%20H

The gearbox has also been further improved thanks to the very valuable input from @Didumos69. The gear sequences kept the same, but we shifted some axles and gears to make it beautiful symmetrical:

42115%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Lamborghini-1-2

42115%20Pimp%20up%20my%20Lamborghini-1-2

And I included the "Removable cylinder head cover" from @DataNinja:

14 hours ago, DataNinja said:

So far my digital build only contains Box 1-3. Box 4-6 are still missing and will take some days to complete. And it has not been tested so far in a real build.

But, if you are interested in my daily work-in-progress, you will find some regular updates under this link:

https://bricksafe.com/files/jb70/42115-pimp-up-my-lamborghini/42115 Pimp up my Lamborghini.mpd

@jb70, one potential issue I see with the gearbox redesign, with and without my additions, is that the 16t gear which engages with the differential, can be placed too tight against the adjacent 20t clutch gear, causing undesired friction. I don't see an easy way to resolve that though.

7 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Isn't there anyone interested in the Enzo B model?

Thanks for sharing here! Compliments to @JamesJT for having produced so quickly a great alternative model. He really is on a roll with his alternative models for super cars. This car deserves a separate topic

The engine axle disconnected on my model and was a major pain in the butt to dismantle and push back in. A fix for that would be nice.

How about one of these for a differential (front and rear):

640x370.jpg

Edited by SNIPE

19 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Isn't there anyone interested in the Enzo B model?

I myself find the use of the blades and the new tapered curve panels to achieve the lines in the back very ingenious

[more pics]

Không có mô tả ảnh.

Source https://www.facebook.com/groups/TechnicUnited/permalink/1096452850726274/

Count me interested! My favorite little detail is the usage of the "Bionicle tooth" to finish the triangle implied by the new tapered panels. So obvious in hindsight, but a true "aha" moment when I first spotted it in this photo! :laugh:

12 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

Thanks for sharing here! Compliments to @JamesJT for having produced so quickly a great alternative model. He really is on a roll with his alternative models for super cars. This car deserves a separate topic

100% agreed. But my guess (and hope!) is we'll be seeing a topic soon enough, as well as an entry on Rebrickable. :sweet:

The shifting mechanism barely works for me after building it correctly, twice. So maybe we can improve that?

Based on the digital file from @jb70 I tried a few things that might work:

• I swapped the gears close to the front and rear differential. This gives a ratio change of 25:9.
  • This allows the center differential to engage with its 24t side. This gives a ratio change of 9:27.
  • I swapped the input-output sides of the gearbox. So the Drive input is at the driver's side now.
  • To get the gearbox ratios right again I changed the gear ratios in the high-low gearbox.
  • Now I can use the old input as Reverse input, which directly engages with the center differential. It has the same ratio as 1st gear.
  • I moved the Reverse output of the DNR to the right side of the DNR. I added a direction inverter, so Reverse actually is reverse.

800x264.jpg

800x264.jpg

800x253.jpg

800x223.jpg

I'm still working on the bracing inside the gearbox, but around the DNR I think I'm done.

800x446.jpg

800x468.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Great work, @Didumos69

That is a very ingenious idea with the inverter. The most compact solution to change direction of the reverse gear.

And swapping the DNR gives us more space to connect the reverse gear on the passenger side without colliding with the paddle shifter.

Very clever!

8 hours ago, jb70 said:

Great work, @Didumos69

That is a very ingenious idea with the inverter. The most compact solution to change direction of the reverse gear.

And swapping the DNR gives us more space to connect the reverse gear on the passenger side without colliding with the paddle shifter.

Very clever!

Thanks! I'll share my file with you after some final changes. Shouldn't take long.

EDIT: The gear sequence is also not correct yet, I have to look into that too. EDIT2: Can be fixed easily. Btw, this setup already reverse the gear sequence, so it would make the change to the paddle shifters unnecessary.

On 6/15/2020 at 2:40 AM, SNIPE said:

The engine axle disconnected on my model and was a major pain in the butt to dismantle and push back in. A fix for that would be nice.

How about one of these for a differential (front and rear):

This idea would fit my ideas above, because it would allow to swap both 20-12 meshes at each end (front and rear). However, I think the stock diffs are good enough and it would be a pity if people would have to buy 2 diffs only for this. But is remains to be an option.

Edited by Didumos69

Although my Lamborghini Sian hasn’t arrived yet, I’ve got into a portion of the back end assembled with some existing parts I have.
One the first pieces was the recreation of the rear wing in Black rather than Lime Green. Primarily for a bit of contrast, but also some of Lime Green colour variations in some of the builds I’ve seen look worse in the wing than the rest of the body work.
The Black hasn’t totally resolved the colour variations, but I’ll work through replacing the few glossy Black pieces currently included. 
Also the hope is that it will blend nicely into the Black side panels. Deletion of the Blue 3L Pins from view in the finished build with Black 3L Pins improves the look too.

50067410673_56ff093a80_c_d.jpg
50068240477_7f5d0eec6d_c_d.jpg

Edited by LegoHoops

I did some further cleanup on my suggested mods for a gearbox with integrated center differential, which is used in Drive and Reverse. Of course all based on @jb70's work so far. I will PM my file to him.

Summary of what I did:

• I moved the Drive input of the gearbox and the Drive output of the DNR to the driver's side and the axle that engages with the center differential to the co-driver's side.
  • This effectively reverses the entire gearbox, making the paddle-shifter mod unnecessary.
  • To get the gear ratios right again, I replaced the 20t clutch gears in the high-low gearbox with 16t clutch gears and swapped the two 20-12 meshes.
  • This allows the axle that engages with the center differential to be used as input for Reverse, because it now has the same ratio as 1st gear.
  • To utilize this Reverse input, I moved the Reverse output of the DNR to the co-driver's side and added a reverter.
  • Finally I made changes to the structure to brace all well.

To further tweak the overall gear ratio (engine wheels), there are still some parameters that can be changed: The gearing close to the front and rear differentials and the gearing close to the engine.

800x563.jpg800x563.jpg

800x447.jpg800x447.jpg

800x313.jpg800x313.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

46 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Well I think it wouldn't be too hard to build @Jeroen Ottens's Toro Azzurro (a re-imagined Miura) in lime now.

1000x800p.jpg

I hope also @JamesJT will redo his Miura in lime :grin:

42056 Miura

In general, total lack of transparent pieces in the Sian might make B-models challenging though. But maybe (probably) I just lack the imagination to use the Sian's pieces in more creative ways...

Edited by astyanax

7 hours ago, LegoHoops said:

Although my Lamborghini Sian hasn’t arrived yet, I’ve got into a portion of the back end assembled with some existing parts I have.
One the first pieces was the recreation of the rear wing in Black rather than Lime Green. Primarily for a bit of contrast, but also some of Lime Green colour variations in some of the builds I’ve seen look worse in the wing than the rest of the body work.
The Black hasn’t totally resolved the colour variations, but I’ll work through replacing the few glossy Black pieces currently included. 
Also the hope is that it will blend nicely into the Black side panels. Deletion of the Blue 3L Pins from view in the finished build with Black 3L Pins improves the look too.

50011837451_eec230d600_c_d.jpg

I'll try to build it out of my spare parts today to see how it looks on on the, full model. Thx for idea :)

@astyanax lime would be cool and as you mentioned lack of transparent pieces could cause a bit of headaches, but new curvy mudguards better fit Miura design than the one released with Porsche and there could be 8448 transmission rebuild with new pieces (but it sits transverse)...