BillytheKid

The 12v layout form BillytheKid.

Good day to you all. I collect 12v trains for a long time and was a long time quiet because of work and/or other things that needed mine attention more :P .
Picture say more than 1000 words, so I start with this pic:

b6_-_complete_controlepaneel.jpg

I'm working at more expansion with 9v switches and yes everything is connected and working.

I will post with time more pictures, so you get an idea what I do with 12v mainly. Last project were I was working on a clubcarwagon for the 7740:

clubwagon_7740.jpg

Mine demand was a close as possible in the style of 7815, but  also close to original 4547. I used a red thicker line, so you can see there is something unusual going on at distance. Those clear hinges are already ordered of €7,- a piece :( .

Here the 12v train 7740 in his full glory with 5 unique wagons coming down. With mailwagon 7719, sleepwagon 7715, clubcarwagon 4547 in 7740 colors & 2 wagons which belongs to set 7740.

img_7454.jpg

I had already made a clubcarwagon for the 7745, but changed it also, so it's close to the one of 7740:

img_7440.jpg

And the 7745 in his full glory in mine eyes. Longer ain't wise, otherwise I think I can burn out the 12v motor..........

img_7400.jpg

Nice how you kept the 1980s feel, and especially on the 7740 a nice addition (for some reason it looks a bit strange on a train set - I feel the same about the Metroliner).

And an impressive amount of remote controlled stuff! :classic: I have plans/wishes for a 12v layout, but it'll be dwarfed by this one for sure. But with four new train systems released since, a good thing to see 12v still alive.

8 hours ago, BillytheKid said:

b6_-_complete_controlepaneel.jpg

I'm working at more expansion with 9v switches and yes everything is connected and working.

Wow!!! And look, remote 9v too. That is an amazing collection. I like the fence you put up to keep mischievous minifigs from wandering into the controls

Add 2 motors, to make longer trains! I did that on my 12 carriage of the 7745!

@Rijkvv: 12v is still alive, but expensive to maintain. Actually not wise to start with. At other hand, the best system ever because of remote things you have with it. With meetings it takes too much work to make a nice layout for a day to operate smoothly.

@Man with a hat: Yes, 5 crossings remote controlled. You don't want to operate by hand :innocent:.

@Arrow: With 12v is a bit tricky, too much weight and the motor won't last long. At mine own experience, each motor can pull 2 till 3 long wagons or 5 short wagons. If you add more, well €50,- at least ain't cheap to replace them. And I have 10 motor already thrown away:cry3:.

4 hours ago, BillytheKid said:

And I have 10 motor already thrown away

Hopefully you mean "dead" and not "discarded." I think the 12v motors can be repaired, and if they can't they can still be parts donors.

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Hopefully you mean "dead" and not "discarded." I think the 12v motors can be repaired, and if they can't they can still be parts donors.

I can confirm that. I've already repaired a few...

I have never been able to mend the squeking ones though...  any tips ?

Very nice and big bundle of wires too.  This was the kind of layout I thought of in university late at night.

12V - the golden age of trains!  Amazing layout - I wish LEGO still took trains seriously the way it used to...

New little project finished. I bought the only locomotive 60198, because I was curious about the new system. I was positive surprised about the quality of it. And a good extra, to clean the innertrack before using the 12v trains :D . I can pull a cleaning wagon first, to clean the innertrack of 12v.
Anyway, first the loc. I modified it a little to 'DB' and looked at internet who did it before to build lights in it.

img_7713.jpg

Good job I think, without changing the desgin of orginal.

img_7714.jpg

Only I wanted rearlights too :D . Just bought 2 sets of ledlights and cut & paste the lights to one wire which goes into batteryholder.

img_7715.jpg

The oldie besides the newbie

img_7716.jpg

Maybe nice to know. I designed my layout for the set 10027 trainshed:

img_7722.jpg

So every 9v & 12v train can be repaired when needed. Also changed the 'octan' colors into shell.

img_7721.jpg

This was mine desgin, before I started to build up.

9-own-design-b.jpg

Everything about your layout empire looks amazing - I think the best bit is the enormous bank of switches, that looks great fun!

The doubled-up shed is a good addition - out of interest, what's the winch thing for that's attached to the bottom right? I can't work out what's on the other end!

That's for to pull the standard up, which has some wires what will fall over when not using the gearthing I made at trainshed.

To me it's still a layout. I have seen layouts who are bigger than mine. I'm glad you are impressed by it. It's only 4m by 4m dense/packed with city/miniland sets. Like the modulars.

The Minions are also arrived :( :

img_7730.jpg

And the little proud of mine, 4x 7755 in different colors and each have 2x 12v motor for extra pulling power. Made for a meeting to pull 40 Shelltankers at 12v. Well I build 20 tankers sofar.........
img_7729.jpg

Edited by BillytheKid

Made this loc 7760 in green long time ago, but I didn't like the windows ala clear 1x2 brick. Now I have used green windows, which looks much better. What do you think? Oh and the lights doe really work, when train is riding :wink: .

img_7741.jpg

img_7742.jpg