Murdoch17

Adventurers - Sam Sinister's train of evil with 4-6-2 steam loco (finished MOC)

This train was originally supposed to go with the new Crocodile electric locomotive (set 10277)  that was revealed a couple months ago. But it doesn't fit my UK "theme" very well, so I bought this train instead.

50372638207_b6f7e03d70_z.jpg

This engine is numbered 514 (as a tribute to the HC514 part seen in the Adventurers sets), and the the tender should say LNER, (London North-Eastern Railway) as that's who originally designed and built the Z1 class locomotive. This 4-6-2 type engine is named Hazel Crusader, and is not actually owned by the railroad company, but it is maintained and crewed by the railroad's employees when called upon by Lord Sinister to be moved from his private siding. (That's why it has the non-LNER-standard gold, black, and brown paint scheme that matches his coaches: it's Sam's personal color scheme for his railway stock - it's owned by Lord Sam Sinister himself. He even had this locomotive designed just for him.)

50372476096_d4a78c6f12_z.jpg

In reality, this Z1 type never existed on the LNER, as it is a creation of my own imagination. My fictional Z1 take on the wheel 4-6-2 arrangement  is inspired by the 2-10-0 Austerity class of WWII (boiler wise) with a tender donated by the A3 which originally pulled Sam Sinister's train.

50372475901_4003906193_z.jpg

This is Sam Sinister's automobile, situated quite precariously on a two-wheel flat car that is much too small. Being that Sam is cheap, he bought the one that would cover his needs... sight unseen. The railway yard master's eyes nearly fell out of his head when he finally saw what Sam was going to load onto this flat car!

50372637987_5dea7d3757_z.jpg

The flat car is easily detachable from the load, as you can see here. (NOTE: This car was inspired by the 2015 SDCC exclusive Action Comics number 1 Superman, recolored and heavily modified.)

50371774608_569e99a82c_z.jpg

The car seats two figures side-by-side, and even comes with a spare tire in the back.

50371774618_7662964479_z.jpg

This Gatling gun car protects the train from any goody-goody interlopers trying to make off with Sam Sinister's ill-gotten goods... namely Johnny Thunder and his friends. NOTE: The Gatling gun on this car was taken wholesale from set 79111. (Constitution Train Chase)

50372638062_83816bdce0_z.jpg

These looted ancient Egyptian items include: a temple guardian from the Well of Souls (taken from set 7621, Secret of the Lost Tomb), a obelisk warning others to not defile it's owner's tomb, and the Queen's sarcophagus itself, with a very angry mummy inside. (Guess Sam doesn't listen very well, huh?)

50372475966_64b90129bb_z.jpg

I wasn't kidding about that curse you know!

50372475986_674345fe67_z.jpg

Look's like Sam's somehow stolen a Sphinx as well! (not THE Sphinx, of course, that would never fit on his train car and would be a bit missed by the locals... not to mention any snooping Archaeologists!)

Thankfully, however, Sphinx were not inscribed with any magic hieroglyphics, so they are safe to observe.... or in Sam Sinister's case, "borrow without permission". Unlike the Re-Gou Ruby's twin (yet not worth anything) gem which can curse you to an eternity of bad puns, as the now-mad Baron Von Barron found out.

In reality, the statue's head was inspired the one in set 5978. (Sphinx secret surprise)

50372476001_11f60808f8_z.jpg

In this train car we find all the weapons one could dream of in the 1920's, as it is called the armory car after all. (Thanks again to @Pdaitabird for making these cars in his awesome instructions, which you can find on Flickr here.)

50372476021_81ec654065_z.jpg

This is Sinister's war wagon. Why is it called that? It has old charts, brand-new maps, magazines and trade journals, plus all kinds of notes with clues to hidden locations with items of vast power or great fortune just waiting to be grabbed. If Johnny Thunder or Sam Sinister hasn't seen it or at least heard of it, the item probably doesn't exist. This car also houses Lord Sinister's bedroom for overnight journeys.

50372638162_ba66be349b_z.jpg

Here we see the whole train at an "on-it's-side" view for maximum viewing.

Thoughts, compliments, complaints, and suggestions are all welcome!

NOTE9/22/2020: Added updated real world pictures of everything, including the Sphinx car and updated steam loco, now called Hazel Crusader 514. (as in HC-514, the print on the tile on the side of the cab. Took me quite a while to figure out a good name for the engine!) 

Edited by Murdoch17

49963571921_c93f564795_z.jpg

Something Sinister is building...

NOTE:

The whole UK steam engine and one of the freight car orders are still on there way to my house, which means they should be all here by Saturday the 13th (At least I'm hoping so, then I can show the complete train off in my local LUGs virtual meeting.)

Great Job! I love the little reference to Lego Island 2 by mentioning Ogel Island. Also, you did a great job with the building of the LNER A3. I wonder if Lego can do something like that and make a model of Gordon the Big Express Engine from Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends. I also loved the coaches and the cars. Sam Sinister would definately love something like this. Can't wait to see the engine model when it comes in the mail. 10/10

I always love seeing your Adventurers theme designs, and this is no exception.  Definitely a private train worthy of Sam Sinister & perfect for hauling his ill-gained loot back to his evil lair.

Another great addition to your Adventurer's themed MOCs!  Looks great and I love the engine, but I can't help feel it should be a different colour for Sam? Most of his vehicles in the OE line seem to have a black/gray colour scheme with a splash of yellow here and there, though I know black isn't an exciting colour for an engine, but maybe that paired with some yellow ribs on the engine and yellow lines on the tender could look good? Then again its your design so whatever you think is best!

On 6/2/2020 at 10:22 AM, Pdaitabird said:

Nice progress so far!

Thank you @Pdaitabird, I couldn't have done it without your neat coach instructions.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:33 AM, Brandon Pea said:

Great Job! I love the little reference to Lego Island 2 by mentioning Ogel Island. Also, you did a great job with the building of the LNER A3. I wonder if Lego can do something like that and make a model of Gordon the Big Express Engine from Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends. I also loved the coaches and the cars. Sam Sinister would definately love something like this. Can't wait to see the engine model when it comes in the mail. 10/10

I absolutely love putting references to old themes in my posts, so thank you @Brandon Pea! If I can squeeze in something from an old theme, I usually do. As for the engine, sadly, Thomas and Friends is 100% owned by Hasbro now. So there is now way to have him be made into a set anymore, sadly. And with the books being no longer written it would be a long shot to have it come from that direction...

On 6/4/2020 at 7:37 AM, Laura Beinbrech said:

I always love seeing your Adventurers theme designs, and this is no exception.  Definitely a private train worthy of Sam Sinister & perfect for hauling his ill-gained loot back to his evil lair.

Why thank you @Laura Beinbrech! It makes me feel good to know so many people actually read my long winded and interconnected stories. To tell you the truth, I've never written them down besides what's on Eurobricks and Flickr. It's just too difficult to get it out of my head in actual "short story-like" format. :def_shrug:

On 6/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, Axle said:

Another great addition to your Adventurer's themed MOCs!  Looks great and I love the engine, but I can't help feel it should be a different colour for Sam? Most of his vehicles in the OE line seem to have a black/gray colour scheme with a splash of yellow here and there, though I know black isn't an exciting colour for an engine, but maybe that paired with some yellow ribs on the engine and yellow lines on the tender could look good? Then again its your design so whatever you think is best!

Thanks @Axle! This color for the engine and passenger cars (reddish brown with pearl gold) was chosen because I had a lot of the necessary brown parts and was unused on my UK railway. That's all.

49993049087_2951de585f_z.jpg

Oh, and by the way: the entire train has been added to the first post in real bricks!

I really like the train.

I'm wondering if this is all your own design and work or if you purchased kits or instructions...or just adapted others' builds as you mention in one area?

Just now, Darkdragon said:

I really like the train.

I'm wondering if this is all your own design and work or if you purchased kits or instructions...or just adapted others' builds as you mention in one area?

I used some free instructions for the loco and coaches, which looked WAY different when i started on them. The tender is 100% my design, as are the three flatcars themselves... but the Gatling gun, car and statue are inspired by parts of official sets, just redone... not sure how you want to word that?

The train looks even better in real bricks! My favorite part is the locomotive and the color scheme. I wouldn't want to be on Sam's train crew though...he probably wouldn't hesitate to do away with anyone who saw or heard too much! :look:

Adventure was always one of my favorite themes!

But... You sure it isn't Slyboot's train? Or Baron Von Baron? ?

Lego never could keep their names straight...

Seeing it in the flesh, that brown colour does suit it! Wonderful loco! That car is gorgeous too.

As a suggestion which might interest you, there was an armoured train in the 1920s called the Zaamurets that fought across Europe and Asia, very Adventurers-esque, here's one of the turret cars:

5WWNuc1DZUjBJFlVvDtTYoW3ulc-25KkBS4QYF6l

Could serve as inspiration to upgrade that gatling gun car so Johnny and friends have a bigger foe to fight?

Either way, I really like this and look forward to seeing it on the rails I hope!

Edited by Axle

4 hours ago, Axle said:

As a suggestion which might interest you, there was an armoured train in the 1920s called the Zaamurets that fought across Europe and Asia, very Adventurers-esque, here's one of the turret cars:

Was that one of the trains used by the Czech legions in their trek across Russia? (Here is a link to the fascinating story.)

On 6/11/2020 at 8:16 AM, Axle said:

Seeing it in the flesh, that brown colour does suit it! Wonderful loco! That car is gorgeous too.

5WWNuc1DZUjBJFlVvDtTYoW3ulc-25KkBS4QYF6l

Could serve as inspiration to upgrade that gatling gun car so Johnny and friends have a bigger foe to fight?

Either way, I really like this and look forward to seeing it on the rails I hope!

Interesting. That and this MOC by by a Flickr builder called lemon_boy inspired me to build my own version. See it at the bottom of this post.

On 6/11/2020 at 12:17 PM, Laura Beinbrech said:

That looks almost exactly like the Armored Train behemoth vehicle that shows up on some maps in Battlefield 1.

On 6/11/2020 at 12:46 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Was that one of the trains used by the Czech legions in their trek across Russia? (Here is a link to the fascinating story.)

50182626237_43ca7f39a3_z.jpg

Is this better @Pdaitabird @Laura Beinbrech @Axle? One of these are going to go where the Gatling gun car went, and another at the extreme rear of the train (behind the private car). Also, to answer @davidzq's question: I'm using the names used in Orient Expedition, along with some of the characters from my "shared universe" of Monster fighters (Major Quinton Steele), Pharaoh's Quest, (Jake Raines, Mac McCloud), and Ninjago. (the movie star turned accidental realm-hopper, Clutch Powers) The Monster Realm is one of the 16 realms (but as a sort of bridge-realm, not a full fledged one), as is Ninjago (obviously a full fledged member of that club) with 1920's Earth being a distant star system in the modern-day Ninjago realm.

NOTE: To explain Clutch Powers (without going to far off track), I just say he got stuck in Monster Realm, and Ninjago suffers a hideous, world-ending catastrophe (what, is unknown even to him). What is known is that it is 100% gone. And, in 1912, he is picked up by the Monster Fighters after spending nearly a week among the darkness of the realm of monsters. Now, stuck in mid-1920's Earth as the last Ninjago resident, he tells his tale in serial format for the silent B&W theaters of the time. (with some mild embellishment!) He hopes to someday meet a ninja-hooded figure from his past that may have somehow survived the end of Ninjago.... but those odds are not looking so good as years go by. Meanwhile, the earthly researchers study the hole in space where the planet once was, and wonder... could it happen again?

Edited by Murdoch17

Now that looks like something from the diabolical mind of Sam Sinister, and very much in keeping with the 1920s feel of the theme! Nice work!

That looks fantastic! Great use of the space for a same sized train chassis, but it lookslike a  buff, mean, 1920s-esque machine. Are you going to put some Sinister Decals on those side panels for extra touch? Either way it looks great and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh if you can do it! Your story you've added about Clutch Powers is fascinating too, hope to read more on that in the future! Makes sense to have all the 1920s-ish era themes part of the same universe, especially considering they all have a degree of spooky ghosts or other "historical" fantasy elements to them. Good work!

3 minutes ago, Axle said:

That looks fantastic! Great use of the space for a same sized train chassis, but it lookslike a  buff, mean, 1920s-esque machine. Are you going to put some Sinister Decals on those side panels for extra touch? Either way it looks great and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh if you can do it! Your story you've added about Clutch Powers is fascinating too, hope to read more on that in the future! Makes sense to have all the 1920s-ish era themes part of the same universe, especially considering they all have a degree of spooky ghosts or other "historical" fantasy elements to them. Good work!

If you think that was interesting, take a look at this thread. it's got all my Adventurers figs / backstories up to 2018 in it, along with all their rides. I'm going to revise it to bring it up to date right now!

I love that you built an A3 outside of the LNER colour schemes. That's a fantastic MOC. I also love the gangster car. How are you powering the A3? A motor in the tender, or at some other point on the train? I've been trying to put together a nice looking UK-style steam locomotive for a while that has power, but the current set of motor and battery options are just not helpful in terms of the space takes up if you want to put the motor in the locomotive. It ends up being best suited to a big, boxy, diesel or pushing the train from the brake van, which is always less than ideal.

Of course, it doesn't help that all my lego is in England, with my brother and his kids, and I'm in New York trying to build digitally and put together a parts list to be sent over...

Anyway, I love this model. It's one of my favorite steam locomotives, and you've done a wonderful job with it... ...from which I see a couple of features I'm going to try incorporating into a locomotive myself.

Slight bump (and with apologies to @rday1982, as I am planning on scraping the A3 in favor of this newer loco)

50301637691_887cae4606_z.jpg

This engine is numbered 514 (as a tribute to the HC514 part seen in the Adventurers sets), and the the tender should say LNER, (London North-Eastern Railway) as that's who originally designed and built the Z1 class locomotive. This 4-8-2 type engine is named Auburn Flyer and is not actually owned by the railroad company, but it is maintained and crewed by the railroad's employees when called upon by Lord Sinister to be moved from his private siding. (That's why it has the non-LNER-standard gold, black, and brown paint scheme that matches his coaches: it's Sam's personal color scheme for his railway stock - it's owned by Lord Sam Sinister himself. He even had this locomotive designed just for him.)

50301788957_e54e85443b_z.jpg

In reality, this engine wheel (4-8-2) type never existed in Britain except for two locos on the 15-inch Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, built in 1927. The type seen above was proposed, though, as a unnamed design in 1939 and again in 1946 by the LNER, but was never named nor built. (at least, according to Wikipedia, and I can't find any further info on these two unnamed types) My fictional Z1 take on the wheel arrangement  is inspired by the 2-10-0 Austerity class of WWII (boiler wise) with a tender donated by the A3 which originally pulled Sam Sinister's train. (this reminds me, the engine portion of that locomotive will be sacrificed to make this newer engine possible.) The Emerald Night (set 10194) donated the front and rear bogies to this engine, along with my original 7 wide matching MOC tender from 2014 which is still used on this newer engine.

50301637721_a7ff2ebebf_z.jpg

The cab, with opening firebox and gauge details.

When this engine is bought, the WWI-style gun car will be bought as well. Sadly I can't make two of them fit in the storage box anymore due to lack of room, so only one will have to do!

Edited by Murdoch17

7 minutes ago, jaegerroughton said:

Murdoch17 how do i get your ldd models the link from mocpages doesnt work anymore please sent me a link put all of the ldd models in dropbox or google drive pelease

@jaegerroughton, This link here to bricksafe is the only place where my files are now stored. However, most of those are newer files, as the older ones (2008 - 2017) were only available on mocpages... and i don't remember what I uploaded to that site, as I had over 1,500 separate pages on MOCpages. Is there a specific file of a  model you want that I can search for on my hard drive for you and then upload to Bricksafe? I can only do one at a time....

34 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

I really dig the new engine! :thumbup:

Thanks @Pdaitabird!