Veynom

[MOC] DP20M Medical Frigate

Here we go,  almost exactly 3 years after publishing about my Star Wars Medical Corps, I finally completed the capital ship that I envisioned to build. Better late than ever... Please discover below my DP20M Medical Frigate. For additional background and history, I invite you to read my original Star Wars Medical Corps topic.

49923224887_e400418a4c_c.jpg
DP20M Medical Frigate by Veynom, on Flickr

About the DP20M:

The DP20M is an unarmed modified version of the famous DP20 Corellian Gunship. As often with vehicles and spacecrafts assigned to the medical units at the end of the Republic Galactic era and during the Empire, these were either 2nd-grade ships, either refurbished ships. The DP20M is no exception to the rule. The structure of the ship being sturdy and robust, it was common to find DP20 that could still travel around the galaxy but whose weaponry was damaged during combats. Some of these DP20 were then recycled into medical frigate by completely removing the weapon and extra shielding systems. The spared volume allowed for the installation of additional health support and medical equipment.

49923233237_1ac23bc01c_c.jpg

49922920221_84c18b0392_c.jpg

49922945661_3650181f47_c.jpg

The DP20M was designed to provide a small surgery room along with a bacta tank, a reanimation room, and a small hangar hosting a tiny speeder as well as a first-aid container. Here are the various modules:

49922924381_a516961b37_c.jpg

Playability: 
The cockpit can be opened and a pilot minifig easily fits inside, even with a large helmets
49923235952_11c903c016_c.jpg

49922930716_a1f054439d_c.jpg

The central section can host 2 medical beds with extra medical equipment around.
49922406418_4dc2298ba0_c.jpg

49922406733_99cfbdf1dd_c.jpg

49923228272_2eccda8e19_c.jpg

The rear section contains 2 different modules:
- the surgery room with a bacta tank

49923236892_aef945b38c_c.jpg

49923241627_b7112dcc4e_c.jpg

49922404468_6767dd932e_c.jpg

Apparent studs  allows for minifigs to be placed in several places inside the room. The bact tank can be opened to welcome a minifig. Several accessories are available to play around.

- The small hangar can host a speeder and a first-aid medical container.
49922931376_706093bc60_c.jpg

49923230222_a98d7754d9_c.jpg

There is also an extra stud to clip the speeder and a join ball to clip the container. Accessories can also be stored on the wall.

The lateral panels open vertically and rotating bars are available to block them in open position. The manipulation is very easy and can be done blindly.

The build is sturdy, easy to carry and fully swooshable.

The Medical Corp is now complete:
49925922542_d966b71dde_c.jpg
Star Wars Medical Corp by Veynom, on Flickr

49925101898_92a9fe4ba7_c.jpg
Star Wars Medical Corp - Play features by Veynom, on Flickr

Technical details:

• 70 studs in length
  • Initial idea inspired by the half cone panel from the Tantive IV set from 2009
  • 3 years of time between the first idea and cockpit prototype and the completion of the ship.
  • Once the technic backbone frame was drafted, the build went fast, starting from the rear until the cockpit. Lot of SNOT in many locations.
  • The "good old piece of junk" aspect is emphasized through the extensive use of old "not so white anymore" bricks from the 70s and 80s.

49923304172_6315b73349_c.jpg
DP20 construction process by Veynom, on Flickr

I hope you enjoyed it, comments are welcome

I love it! The use of the tantive IV cone piece is unique and works great, and all the interior space makes it a great play set like you say. If you’re looking to continue the medical corps theme, maybe a base, or the shuttle to-scale with the capital ship?

Awesome to see your Medical Corps again, but holy cow three years is a ton of time!  Great job, well worth the wait.  @Mandalorianknight thanks for pointing out that the cone is from the Tantive IV, I was going to ask if it was a custom printed piece...  Oops.

I love the recolor of the crate from the Kannan's speeder bike set, it works perfectly and I'm glad you kept the towball functionality!  I love that you added a towball in the wall of the bay to secure it and a stud for the speeder, that's a great touch.  The rear surgery bay is super well detailed and I LOVE the nurse Gonk!  I'm a little partial to the trans light blue parts (instead of trans-clear) for the bacta tank, but that's just me.  Do the piston arms used to hold up the bay "wings" just press onto bricks, or are they part of a mechanism?

Cockpit and central section are stellar, I love the inclusion of a headrest in the cockpit.  Are the beds shown in the center module the removable ones shown in the last few pictures?

Fantastic detailing and greebling throughout, I don't know if the outside or the inside of the ship looks better.  Great use of your medical symbol stickers as well, they fit in perfectly!  Great play features while maintaining an overall excellent aesthetic. 

On 5/27/2020 at 12:35 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

I love it! The use of the tantive IV cone piece is unique and works great, and all the interior space makes it a great play set like you say. If you’re looking to continue the medical corps theme, maybe a base, or the shuttle to-scale with the capital ship?

Thank you for the nice comment. And yes, I am now considering a base of some kind. 

@DrMuttonchops:

Wow, thank you for that galaxy of nice comments. I don't know where to start to answer you. 

- The towball in the wall: yes, I like it as well. It helps to secure the crate while swooshing the ship. All minifigs and accessories are therefore secured. Still the looping is not recommended as the rear panels would fall open. 

- I totally agree with you on the light blue bacta tank. I own the light blue bricks, just not at the same location as my DP20M. I would also add the 2 official medical droids then. But just like you, I have a crunch for Gonky, the medical droid. 

- The piston bars just stack on the grey tile when open. To close the panel, I simply open a bit more the panel and so the bars can be manually rotated back against the side wall. A simple move that can be performed blindfolded, even by children. 

- The beds in the middle section are similar in design to the ones you mention but not the same. Here, they have an extra computer in the front and they are fixed as they have not the inverted slope dish underneath. To be complete, I considered building a small place to store these beds with opening panels in the front area of the rear section but ultimately, I dropped the idea as if was adding quite some complexity in an already complex area and the panels would not fit tightly. 

- Greebling: well, I am not totally satisfied mainly because the rear section is mainly studfull (I ran out of white tiles and curved slopes) while the middle and forward sections are completely studless. However I really enjoyed building these middle and forward sections as they are full of SNOT. 

6 hours ago, Veynom said:

Wow, thank you for that galaxy of nice comments. I don't know where to start to answer you. 

- Greebling: well, I am not totally satisfied mainly because the rear section is mainly studfull (I ran out of white tiles and curved slopes) while the middle and forward sections are completely studless. However I really enjoyed building these middle and forward sections as they are full of SNOT. 

You should definitely build a medical base, or at least a medical wing for the base you have on Flickr!

The piston arms are a great solution for sure, especially for kids!  I figured actual pistons would not be strong enough to hold up the panels.  Do the extra beds fit in the Sheathipede or the speeder?  It looks like they would, perhaps on the side of the larger speeder? I recall photos of medical Jeeps with unused cots strapped to the sides.

Personally I like a mix of studs, slopes, and tiles, so the back looks good to me although seeing totally studless designs is always amazing!  Would you leave the studs that are partially covered by the wedge plates, or remove the wedge plates and cover everything in tiles?

Long live Nurse Gonky!

This is a really good setup you have here. I like the idea of a medical unit mad up like this. The off-white parts really add a nice rustic touch and the perfect color detail.

On 5/29/2020 at 5:29 PM, DrMuttonchops said:

Do the extra beds fit in the Sheathipede or the speeder?  It looks like they would, perhaps on the side of the larger speeder? I recall photos of medical Jeeps with unused cots strapped to the sides.

Of course, they do! With or without minifig.

But nothing is planned to be carried outside of the speeder.