HarrisBricks

[MOC] Edward's Island (Neo Fabuland)

edwards-island008-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-001-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-018-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-002-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-016-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-015-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-013-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-010-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-008-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-005-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-022-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-021-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-023-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-024-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-025-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-028-800x800.jpgedwards-island-neo-fabuland-029-800x800.jpg

This display was built for Brickvention 2020 to explore something I am calling ‘Neo Fabuland’, the idea of employing Fabuland as a visual style, in much the same way that Neo-Classic Space looks to Classic Space as a set of design conventions. You can find out more about my goals for Neo Fabuland here if you are interested.

This display features a large island, 10 buildings including my previously revealed Edward’s Fishing Hut, Boris’ Post Office, Wilfred’s Lighthouse, Gertrude’s Studio, Hannah’s Greenhouse, Bonnie’s B&B, The Dock, and The Bandstand as well as two previously unrevealed buildings, Bernhard’s Tavern and Dr. Dog’s Office as well as various vehicles, trees, plants and landscaping.

First and foremost in this MOC I wanted to take the level of detail up above the simplified forms of the original Fabuland sets (those sets were made for young builders after all) and create a fully realised environment for the Fabuland figures to inhabit.

Edited by HarrisBricks
Fixed images to be the right size and text from being truncated.

Wow!!!! Amazing work! I love everything about it and can't even pick just one thing to say is best.

One thing, you should keep the images at 1024px max as per the rules - your large images are beautiful but they do cause slow loading of the thread and at least for myself they did not scale correctly on the mobile version of the site.

It's beautiful - wonderfully constructed with great colours. How did you achieve the spacing of the planks on the dock?

That's a beatiful and well thought-out MOC! All the buildings look great and definitely feel "Fabuland". I loved reading your thoughts and input on the various designs decisions. Very insightful and well-made!

Even though I don't play the game, but from what I've seen from video's and images: it kind of feels like Animal Crossing :tongue:.

Saw this in January, thought it was amazing. First time seeing Fabuland in person. 

Would have loved to chat with the creators but Brickvention was way too loud and busy sadly.

Wow! That's amazing. You've excellently captured the essence of Fabuland while elevating it to a whole new level. I especially like all the wonderful textures you used on the roofs and paths. The greenery is great too.

This is one of the best things I've ever seen.

You nailed the whimsical architecture, strong textures, and bright colors of the original Fabuland sets. Even the old-timey vehicles look perfect!

I would kill for sets like this.

Oh my goodness, this is.. Unreal. I'm amazed. The part usage all around is fantastic, and the detail on every bit is stunning.

Always loved fabuland but this is next level. :wub:

I love the fact you've gone 'all in' with the primary colours and also expanded on the slightly kooky architecture of the Fabuland sets. This is a lovely town and it feels complete; filled without being full. The overall island is beautiful, but I also love the variety of vignettes that can be seen in the close ups. I particularly like the way you've done the trees, to make them really echo the original 2D tree pieces yet using modern parts and fleshing them out more. A brilliant mix of old and new, bravo! 

18 hours ago, Lordofdragonss said:

The MOC is great (especialy windows!)but I am most impressed of new use of STICKERS!
How did you get them in such good condition?

Thanks, I designed and printed any stickers I needed. They are more 'Fabuland-style' than 'Fabuland'.

18 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

Wow!!!! Amazing work! I love everything about it and can't even pick just one thing to say is best.

One thing, you should keep the images at 1024px max as per the rules - your large images are beautiful but they do cause slow loading of the thread and at least for myself they did not scale correctly on the mobile version of the site.

Thanks, I wondered what was going wrong with the images. I will fix them and edit my post!

17 hours ago, jimmynick said:

It's beautiful - wonderfully constructed with great colours. How did you achieve the spacing of the planks on the dock?

Hi, they are not the strongest connection, they are connected using columns of 1x1 snot bricks.

15 hours ago, Khorne said:

That's a beatiful and well thought-out MOC! All the buildings look great and definitely feel "Fabuland". I loved reading your thoughts and input on the various designs decisions. Very insightful and well-made!

Even though I don't play the game, but from what I've seen from video's and images: it kind of feels like Animal Crossing :tongue:.

Yeah, I have had people mention Animal Crossing quite a lot, and I think especially because it is an island as well but I really had had no experience of Animal Crossing until my wife recently purchased it about a month ago.

7 hours ago, Merlict said:

Saw this in January, thought it was amazing. First time seeing Fabuland in person. 

Would have loved to chat with the creators but Brickvention was way too loud and busy sadly.

Ah, that is a shame! You should definitely say hello next time. Though I will be castle-ing for 2021.

7 hours ago, rock raider said:

Wow! That's amazing. You've excellently captured the essence of Fabuland while elevating it to a whole new level. I especially like all the wonderful textures you used on the roofs and paths. The greenery is great too.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, arieben said:

Oh my goodness, this is.. Unreal. I'm amazed. The part usage all around is fantastic, and the detail on every bit is stunning.

Always loved fabuland but this is next level. :wub:

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Pandora said:

I love the fact you've gone 'all in' with the primary colours and also expanded on the slightly kooky architecture of the Fabuland sets. This is a lovely town and it feels complete; filled without being full. The overall island is beautiful, but I also love the variety of vignettes that can be seen in the close ups. I particularly like the way you've done the trees, to make them really echo the original 2D tree pieces yet using modern parts and fleshing them out more. A brilliant mix of old and new, bravo! 

Thanks, it was really important to me that it feels like Fabuland, and I reckon the visual style and colour scheme of the original sets are such a huge part of that making for an instant nostalgia hit!

2 hours ago, seaman said:

Magic!

Thanks!

Edited by HarrisBricks
Broken link

This build is really good! I am too young to have lived the fabuland fever but I get the idea. It looks really smooth, like a cartoon. Real good use of colours.

8 hours ago, Fraunces said:

This build is really good! I am too young to have lived the fabuland fever but I get the idea. It looks really smooth, like a cartoon. Real good use of colours.

Thanks Fraunces, I tried to stick as much as possible to only colours that were available in Fabuland, through I did break my rule by using bright green as well as green, everything else is only colours available in Fabuland (or their current day equivalents).

On 5/28/2020 at 5:36 PM, carebear said:

WOW WOW! Love Love this!

this just looks Amazing!

Greetings!

Thanks, glad you like it!

Fabuland reminds me so much of the children's books drawn by Richard Scurry, and I think it would be still a better introduction into Lego for smaller kids than the current 4+ sets. A wonderful build!

2 hours ago, brimbolet said:

Fabuland reminds me so much of the children's books drawn by Richard Scurry, and I think it would be still a better introduction into Lego for smaller kids than the current 4+ sets. A wonderful build!

I think you are right Brimbolet, I really wonder if Richard Scarry's illustrations may have been an original influence for Fabuland. Thanks!

Edited by HarrisBricks
typo

My goodness this is gorgeous. I've been saving fabuland parts to do something like this one day. This is full of great ideas.

Aren't those blue chains super rare? I've never seen so many at once

On 6/2/2020 at 3:46 AM, Jerry McGlade said:

Really cool! Great job!

Thanks!

On 6/3/2020 at 4:16 AM, Criosphynx said:

My goodness this is gorgeous. I've been saving fabuland parts to do something like this one day. This is full of great ideas.

Aren't those blue chains super rare? I've never seen so many at once

Cheers, I am not sure sorry!

You layouts are always incredible, with too many wonderful features and details to mention.  This fully-realized NeoFabuland is charming in every way!  I love how you've got so many different terrains, elevations, and building types in a relatively small area that still all come together to make a cohesive little village.  Truly wonderful!  :sweet: