Sign in to follow this  
Bodi

[OL-FB] Bomb ketch - la poule

In contrast with the eye-catching launch of large SotL, the arrival of a bomb ketch had drawn much less attention. Though of modest rating, as a vessell specially built to deal with land fortifications with its mortar(s), a bomb ketch could still find its place in a fleet. 

The boat is built with narrow hulls, elongated with slope bricks. As I used captain Greenhair's technique to cover the black stripe with more colour matching plates.

Yz4peU.jpg

What distinguish a bomb ketch from other ships is its large mortar, le Poule mounts two of them. The front one is fully functional, able to shoot a rubber round to the target. :pir-tongue: The other one has a more conventional look, can't shoot a round but looks more realistic, I think.:pir-grin:

YzhzLT.jpg

YzhOWn.jpg

YzhXzq.jpg

Serving aboard of a bomb ketch can be dangerous with all the explosives lying around, so the boat was crewed by a bunch of moustached veterans, note the importance of the moustache, as it means experience and seniority.:pirate:

YzhxyV.jpg

Alas, at the exasperation of the young lieutenant, seniority may also bring some side-effects, such as arrogance and insubordination. 

YzhvQ0.jpg

Yz4eOK.jpg

Vive le Roi! :pir-huzzah2:

Another beauty! Only for the hull I am not sure if this was the best option. 

Still a magnificient build!

Bomb ketches are such cool ships. Excellent work on the mortar. I echo what Fraunces says. Full brickbuilt hull might look a bit better.

7 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Another beauty! Only for the hull I am not sure if this was the best option. 

Still a magnificient build!

7 hours ago, KotZ said:

Bomb ketches are such cool ships. Excellent work on the mortar. I echo what Fraunces says. Full brickbuilt hull might look a bit better.

Thanks guys! Maybe I could try to extend the plates further towards both ends next time, I won't hesitate to give it another try as I'm a fan of those classic hull pieces.

12 minutes ago, Bodi said:

Thanks guys! Maybe I could try to extend the plates further towards both ends next time, I won't hesitate to give it another try as I'm a fan of those classic hull pieces.

I love classic hulls too, but it takes some work to make them look good on ships that weren't really designed with them in mind. You always seem to nail them though.

1 minute ago, KotZ said:

I love classic hulls too, but it takes some work to make them look good on ships that weren't really designed with them in mind. You always seem to nail them though.

Covering the black stripe with plates is a good solution to work with these two tones hulls, I just need more practice.:pir-grin:

Really nice ship, especially for such an underdog type. I really like unconventionally used ships such as bomb ketches, fire ships (used A LOT in the Aegean sea - I must build one some day) etc

Edited by blackdeathgr

I always liked your bomb ketches, that's a typical ship your all well talented in ! (your ships are always well executed and are beautiful, but I like your bombers very much !)

On 5/27/2020 at 3:52 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Really nice ship, especially for such an underdog type. I really like unconventionally used ships such as bomb ketches, fire ships (used A LOT in the Aegean sea - I must build one some day) etc

Please, do build one, fire ships are even rarer, I don't remember having seen one in the Bobs.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:50 PM, Professor Thaum said:

I always liked your bomb ketches, that's a typical ship your all well talented in ! (your ships are always well executed and are beautiful, but I like your bombers very much !)

Thanks for the compliment, I'll try to keep it coming.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:08 PM, Mister Phes said:

Another fine craft so into the Classic Pirates Facebook Group it goes!

Thanks Mister Phes! 

On 6/3/2020 at 3:28 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

The bomb ketch! There it is. Congrats!

Thank you captain Braunsfeld.:pirate:

@Bodi do you have any detailed pics of how you designed your stern area on this ship? I particularly like how it only moderately flares out, in comparison to some of the more ornate and elaborate designs. I'm currently building a frigate, and want a similarly simple stern area. I've just been having trouble figuring out how to go about building it. Thanks in advance!

A very good looking ship and those big cannons...

Only the flag it's sailing unser is Not so good :pir-grin:

11 hours ago, Corweena said:

@Bodi do you have any detailed pics of how you designed your stern area on this ship? I particularly like how it only moderately flares out, in comparison to some of the more ornate and elaborate designs. I'm currently building a frigate, and want a similarly simple stern area. I've just been having trouble figuring out how to go about building it. Thanks in advance!

For moment I don't have any pic of better quality than this, I'll try to take some close-up pics when I have time.:pir-grin:

Yz4Zy6.jpg

6 hours ago, Legonaut said:

A very good looking ship and those big cannons...

Only the flag it's sailing unser is Not so good :pir-grin:

Thanks Legonaut. For the flag, well, it's not a big deal if the boat is stationary.:pir_laugh2:

@Corweena Here are some pics of better quality, showing that stern.

t28Ysf.jpg

Hinges were used to achieve the hull shape, which converges towards the stern, then flares out a little as you said.

t28JQP.jpg

The rear plate where the windows are installed is connected to the hull with hinges bricks as well.

t283RI.jpg

It's openable, though there isn't anything inside.

t288zt.jpg

Afine vessel for Oleon! But we seem to be a bit ahead on the arms technology....  Seeing that machine gun on the deck wouldn you agree Bodi? 

18 hours ago, Captain Becker said:

Afine vessel for Oleon! But we seem to be a bit ahead on the arms technology....  Seeing that machine gun on the deck wouldn you agree Bodi? 

Thanks captain Becker. Concerning, the marchine gun, Oleon should always be ahead in term of technology...there's also a few starwars blasters and stormtroopers, and a tie-fighter  in the background, if you haven't noticed.

17 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Nice ship - I think the hull technique works well! :thumbup:

Thank you, glad you like it,

On 6/7/2020 at 12:45 AM, Bodi said:

@Corweena Here are some pics of better quality, showing that stern.

Thank you for these. Helped out greatly!

Nice ship Bodi! Smaller than other ones you have built, but still very well done, with its complete riggings and a realistic positioning of the mortars. BTW, I'm more than happy that Oleon seems to have finally completed the secret project T.A.R.D.I.S. for time travel, those machine guns will be useful for La Royale!

19 hours ago, Corweena said:

Thank you for these. Helped out greatly!

You are welcome Corweena. I got a lot of inspirations from mocs I saw on this forum when building this boat, so I'm glad you found the pics helpful.

13 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Nice ship Bodi! Smaller than other ones you have built, but still very well done, with its complete riggings and a realistic positioning of the mortars. BTW, I'm more than happy that Oleon seems to have finally completed the secret project T.A.R.D.I.S. for time travel, those machine guns will be useful for La Royale!

Thanks Keymonus. Smaller boats are fun to build. Just between us, I reckon that the time travelling project has benefited from the help of a very, very young fellow.:pir-grin: