mapimi

Lego 10277 - Crocodile Locomotive

10 hours ago, THERIZE said:

Yep exactly. The traction motors are in the noses and that assembly (motors, axles and housing) and are basically two gigantic bogies. The middle section doesn't do much apart from housing the cabin, pantographs and transformer. And the sliding axles are just to negociate even tighter turns.

A tour with peek inside the motors and cabin.  :classic:

3 hours ago, dr_spock said:

A tour with peek inside the motors and cabin.

This is so unbelievably cool - what a nice find. And that variety of German language, which isn't German language makes everything even nicer.

The Swiss - so clean, powerful, and beautiful - what would you expect. The video pretty much reminds me on this dialogue:

STANTZ

"The ironwork extends down through fifty feet of bedrock and touches the water table!"

(He looks at Venkman who doesn't see the significance.)

VENKMAN (shrugs)

"I guess they don't build them like they used to, huh?"

STANTZ

"No!  Nobody ever built them like this!  The architect was either an authentic whacko or a certified genius. 
     The whole building is like a huge antenna for pulling in and concentrating psychokinetic energy."

Thanks for sharing!!!

Best
Thorsten 

Edited by Toastie

I built the set yesterday and added the mod to fill the gaps today. Woah! I wish TLG made more Expert Trains like this one!

1 hour ago, Terrasher said:

I built the set yesterday and added the mod to fill the gaps today. Woah! I wish TLG made more Expert Trains like this one!

No doubt we will get more in the future, the 10277 set is apparently a success for Lego. 

dr_spock, nice video :)

Sadly google's speech to text translation was, not understandable at all, atleast when I choose english.

Here also a nice video from a German crocodile. It is a museum locomotive, but they make some extra money (30 trips per week) to help the hypermodern Siemens Dispolok (diesel) carrying 2000 ton junk iron over a mountain. Engineer said: the computer electronics in the dispolok make up their own mind, for the 50+ year old croc it is the other way around: the driver makes up his mind and the engine follows. B.t.w. they call it "Eisenschwein" -> Ironpig instead of Crocodile. 

5 hours ago, Thai bricks said:

here is the RHB "baby" croc on metre gauge

What a cutie, I hope someone makes this as a mod for 10277 as it's beyond my meagre skills

23 minutes ago, Vorkosigan said:

The crock I ordered on the 1st just shipped, ahead of the July 17th original estimate.

Mine arrived today. I ordered on the 1st of July in the morning at 10th of August estimated shipping date.

18 hours ago, Terrasher said:

They are going to if they sell enough of them. Look in the back of the instruction booklet. They specifically ask for people’s feedback if “we want this train-line to continue”...

1 hour ago, Wimmer said:

They are going to if they sell enough of them. Look in the back of the instruction booklet. They specifically ask for people’s feedback if “we want this train-line to continue”...

I've only ever filled out a set survey once or twice, but this one really deserved it! Hopefully it becomes an ongoing yearly line like the modulars or the expert vehicles. I only wish TLG had included at least 1 cargo wagon for this set.

What a pleasant surprise.  I just got my notice of shipping, I was on the 60 day backorder list on lego.com.  I guess they found a box of them lying somewhere??:laugh:

Mine just got pushed back to “will ship by August 1st” according to the email. The order detail switched from “waiting for new stock” to back ordered.... Still, it will give the parts I’ve ordered to power it for my 12v layout a chance to arrive before I build it. 

10 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I've only ever filled out a set survey once or twice, but this one really deserved it! Hopefully it becomes an ongoing yearly line like the modulars or the expert vehicles. I only wish TLG had included at least 1 cargo wagon for this set.

I got some blue hopper cars made after the LEGO ones from a few years back. They look nice with the ?...

It's such an odd prototype for them to select for this treatment.

While I understand that the crocodile has its fans - even some here in North America - I would not label it as a locomotive with broad appeal. It's a slow, "un-sexy" electric motor from a small country. The croc is quirky and unique, but it doesn't look much of anything like what a lot of American, Canadian, Australian, etc. grownups - much less children - would regard as a train.

I know this is a product that is aimed at adults... but I'm an adult that's a pretty wild railfan, and this one a must-miss for me - it's just too much dough for something that's going to sit on a shelf, especially at a time when money is particularly tight, and the future is rather uncertain. And... I have a feeling that this is a rationale that will be shared by many other would-be - possibly more casual - purchasers. Basically, when presented with a big-buy product like this, I typically default to my HO scale rationale: 'does this belong on my model railroad? Would it run on these rails?' If the answer is a definite no, there's no reason to pick it up.

And this isn't me saying "IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A GP35" or something like that. Why not, like, a German or French steam locomotive? You know, something that - while it might not be totally familiar - at least has the "it's steam" appeal going for it? Something that, while maybe I myself wouldn't buy it, a lot wider audience would identify with?

The popularity of this thread not withstanding, the conspiracy theorist in me is wondering if the croc was chosen because Lego knew it wouldn't sell well, so as to serve as an example for them to wave at AFOL's in the future and say "hey, we TRIED to sell you a nice, detailed train, but you didn't want it!"

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

While I don't plan on buying the Crocodile (or any official set), I'm glad that TLG chose a visually interesting prototype. So many electric locomotives, especially modern ones, look like either boxes on wheels or airplanes with their wings cut off! But the Crocodile has a nice "old school" look, like something out of a Jules Verne novel. I hope it sells well!

I like it and I was all set to buy it, but Lego went out of their way to make it impossible for me to buy it. There is no Lego store or online presence here in Thailand. The online stores do not ship to freight forwarders. On Amazon it was double the price plus shipping. The UK store mentioned above ships to Singapore and Malaysia, but not Th. I was really happy when I found it on Walmart with only $15 shipping to Thailand. I put in all my details, address, CC no., etc. Clicked checkout - sorry, due to Covid we currently do not ship overseas.

Ok, I get it, I'm not meant to buy it.

See, that is the ultimate problem when it comes to "taste" and interpretation of "non-confirmed, guess" data:

7 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

It's such an odd prototype for them to select for this treatment. 

It is such a nice and interesting locomotive - electrical power at a time no one was really believing in it. But it is certainly not a prototype, is it?

I would not label it as a locomotive with broad appeal.

And that is entirely OK - it is your view. To me though it looks most interesting. I know so many people who have a Crocodile model from small to large on a shelf for display. 

from a small country

Well, ever googled what Swiss folks manufacture/have manufactured? And with what precision? And most importantly success, on a world scale? They do very well in Switzerland, I can tell. Very well. For many good reasons.

And... I have a feeling that this is a rationale that will be shared by many other would-be - possibly more casual - purchasers.

A rationale should be more than a feeling. I certainly don't share your feelings, but that lies of course in the nature of feelings. I also believe I am totally casual purchaser ... but who knows.

I typically default to my HO scale rationale: 'does this belong on my model railroad? Would it run on these rails?' If the answer is a definite no, there's no reason to pick it up.

That is you - and there are others thinking about it exactly the other way around: A nice 1920 - 1950 HO layout - of course it belongs there, and would run on these rails. So the answer is yes and picking it up  is a must.

at least has the "it's steam" appeal going for it? Something that, while maybe I myself wouldn't buy it, a lot wider audience would identify with?

Is there any particular reasoning that steam appeals more than lets say electric? For me it would have been: just another steamer, that's all. Also: There was the Emerald. And the American diesels (GPs/FPs). In other words: You and the folks you know like steamers - me and the folks I know don't do that to that extent. It is all personal and individual taste ...

The popularity of this thread not withstanding, the conspiracy theorist in me is wondering if the croc was chosen because Lego knew it wouldn't sell well, so as to serve as an example for them to wave at AFOL's in the future and say "hey, we TRIED to sell you a nice, detailed train, but you didn't want it!"

I believe that is - sorry for the strong words - utter nonsense. No company in the world needing to make money in a time, as you said, where money becomes an issue, most certainly for a company of this size as well, would do that. Particularly not TLG: We never ever saw any reliable number of sets they sold - because they simply don't want to give these numbers to us. So your theory, even on the conspiracy level, is evaporating instantaneously: Scenario 1) The set sells like crazy BUT TLG does not want to make other trains for AFOLs anymore, because they have had it: They simply tell us: Sorry, it didn't sell at all. Scenario 2) The set doesn't sell. TLG tells us: Sorry, it did not sell.
You see: There is absolutely no need for your theory.

It's all about feelings ... as we have no facts.

Best
Thorsten

On 7/10/2020 at 8:10 AM, Shiva said:

google's speech to text translation was, not understandable at all, atleast when I choose english

Heehee - even Google has its bold limits.

(I am German - and I had to repeatedly listen to what the folks are talking about. Swiss speaking German is like me speaking Danish. I like the way they speak though very much - it always adds a nice tone of lightness to everything - even a Crocodile)

Best
Thorsten 

On 7/10/2020 at 9:03 AM, JopieK said:

Here also a nice video from a German crocodile

Oh yes - but these do not come even close to the look and elegance of a real Swiss crocodile. So the "Eisenschwein" fits really well ... 

:laugh:

Best
Thorsten