mapimi

Lego 10277 - Crocodile Locomotive

Very excited and plan to purchase it as I love the original Crocodile engine - it is a piece of industrial art. Hope it will look good next to my original 3 Creator Expert trains.

My questions though: can I use the Powered Up motorized version (88009 and 88013) with 88010 remote controll? And will the 88005 lights work with this set up out of the box?

Thanks in advance.

As of now I don't have much hope for a rapid expansion of the trains line. However, model trainshops have had a influx in costumers recently with the pandemic and all, so maybe this could be an ispiration for lego to create a new "model train" line, perhaps including remote points and duch like in the 12v era.

51 minutes ago, Interceptor said:

My questions though: can I use the Powered Up motorized version (88009 and 88013) with 88010 remote controll?

Yes, but only stop or full speed. No speed regulation.

51 minutes ago, Interceptor said:

And will the 88005 lights work with this set up out of the box?

Yes, one set of them.

Edited by Lok24

14 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

Yes, but only stop or fuull speed. No speed regulation.

Yes, one set of them.

Thank you very much for the answers. No speed regulation does not sound good unfortunately. I thought it can do the same as 60198 with this set up.

32 minutes ago, Interceptor said:

Thank you very much for the answers. No speed regulation does not sound good unfortunately. I thought it can do the same as 60198 with this set up.

No, it is intended to use a smart device for control.
This is shown on the back of the box.

But you can easily use a M-Motor. But this has less (2/3) power.

Edited by Lok24

I suppose its the nature of the market they’re aiming at here that they assume everyone who buys it will have a smart device to control it with, unlike the City trains which also have the controller....

I love this one - a good rendition of one of the more quirky locomotives out there, and different enough from the previous trains that it offers something new. Just need to research some carriages for it now...

On the continuation of the ‘train line‘ - I would love to see Rocket and an A4 too, though I imagine any train for next year would need to be in advance design stage by now. Even the last line of ‘Expert’ trains were spaced two years apart. Though I’m crossing my fingers that this is the start of a new set of releases, the interviews didn’t give me the feeling that this was anything but an experiment within the wider ‘adult targeted’ line rather than it being about producing a series of new trains specifically. 

I think the problem Lego have is that, while trains sell ok, they have a limit on their production facilities. It makes more sense to devote as much of that production capacity to sets that are produced in greater volumes and for more profit - City, Harry Potter, Star Wars etc - rather than keep producing sets that have more limited reach. Obviously there are slots for these kind of things, but I wonder if they will try a range of diverse adult sets in there.

Anyway, still excited for this release, might even try to pre-order when the option comes up... :)

Edited by PeteM

6 minutes ago, Mr Hobbles said:

Where do you see the info about the lights?

Ah, I missed the "out of the box", sorry.

No that doesn't work. But you can connect one light set to the hub, thats what I meant.

Hey everyone, 

A few seconds ago i received a few exclusive pictures, including pictures from the interior, the motorization concept and more.

:-)

I´m just kidding, after the high-quality pictures were released yesterday, they cought my interest, so i did some reverse engineering. I started with the envelope and went deeper and deeper into the model. At the end i created some assemblies. Obviously i couldn't recreate everything but i think it went out quite well. I was very surprised of how simple some solutions could be. For the things i couldn´t see or recognize on the pictures i found possible solutions. I also created the interior, which could be removed, and also the motorization. The L-motor of the powered up system isn´t included in stud.io right now, so i took the PF-motor. Hopefully, that´s a personal goal, i´ve got a match of atleast 70%, what do you think? I will double check this, as soon as the instructions are available at LEGO. I did a colour change into dark-green, this version looks nice too. I also compared this model to mine and there are some details which i like more, like the panthos or the shape of the front window section. 

To answer your questions a lighting solution in the front isn´t possible without bigger modification, but on some pictures it looks like LEGO installed a cab-lighting. I´m quite sure that the motorization will be installed in the cab, the two noses are not big enough to place a motor and gearing. And the space in the cabin fits perfectly. If you want some detail-pictures of special sections just let me know. 

And for those who could not longer wait, i can also provide the model as a stud.io file, just send me a PM.

Remember the model i´ve created is based as much as possible on the pictures, published by LEGO, i do not claim any rights for that. Only for the cars and the SBB Ce 6/8 in the last two pictures.

Hope you enjoy. 
With kind regards Martin

50012434177_4655d40298_k.jpg

50012176451_7844ced5c9_k.jpg

50011643658_a5175b4a8c_k.jpg

50012434092_6449ae8ea6_k.jpg

50012434057_2a486c080f_k.jpg

50011643538_ccfa96c83a_k.jpg

50012434002_e16e426864_b.jpg

50011643758_cc22810df4_k.jpg

50012434022_edc45bb4eb_b.jpg

50012176271_7bf7e40bf6_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Interceptor said:

No speed regulatio

It's actually not that difficult to change the motor ID and let the hub "think" it's a train motor.

Hello everyone, I've been lurking on EB for over a decade now, and finally have decided to voice my thoughts.

Bit of background info - I'm 18 and so when I was a kid I got both the meligned RC City Trains and in 2009 I was lucky enough to get the Emerald Night - then the dark ages hit so I never got the Maersk or Horizon.

I think this set is pretty good, and its nice to see a return to (ex) Creator Expert trains. I think its fine just selling a locomotive with no coaches/wagons, because it 1) apeals to a larger audience and 2) a locomotive with no wagons looks better than a locomotive with one. Otherwise, they would have included one wagon and the price would have increased. Personally I'm not that interested in wagons (I could only afford a 2nd hand Emerald Night without the coach back in the day). The display stand isn't that many parts and if including it brings more people into LEGO trains then, I'm happy for a slight price increase. I think targeting it as a display piece first is smart - will potentially get interest from people who collect Creator Expert cars, and others without large amounts of track. People who are big LEGO train fans with layouts probably have their own coaches, or will be able to build some.

I think the loco looks good from most angles, aside from the side profile. That 1 stud gap just looks awful. Surely LEGO could have come up with a better solution using some slopes/curves on either side to thin the gap. Also it looks like the noses are just held on with 1 ball joint which seems kind of flimsy. I really wish they did the wheel sets properly and the point of articulation was under the cabins, and connecting rods could run across all 3 wheels. I also wish they made the cab section 7 wide as well. I get the windscreen piece isn't but the rest of the body could have been, rather than just tiles on the sides. This would have matched up better with the nose sections and been a better scale overall (personally I think 8 wide is too big, but that might be because I'm used to skinnier British trains)

That said with the UK price probably being £90 or below I will get one.

12 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Yes!  Glad you share my opinion on these two trains.  Being British, both of these are from and are now preserved in my country.  I’ve seen both - two truly amazing trains with amazing histories.  Though you may not realise it, the Rocket is tiny - if made into a set I would want 2-3 L&MR carriages (they’re so small - can you call them coaches?) as well.

Vilhelm22, I've been to the National Railway Museum in York and seen them as well. While the Rocket is quite historical, I don't believe it would be a high seller for many. Steam engines and iconic locomotives from storied trains probably hold the most sway for people. I believe the Mallard fits both requirements swimmingly. Afterwards, maybe doing a North American powerhouse would do well. Maybe a GG-1 or a classic early 20th Century Pennsy or NYC steam engine.

First, a new thought on the engine now that we have a lot more details. With all of those technic axles, we might be entering an era where we will need either roller bearings for technic axles or driver wheels for metal train axles (both of which have been demonstrated, but neither en masse)

18 hours ago, nesquik said:

The inclusion of a brick-built plinth adds versatility, to further highlight that this was designed for either/both displaying on a surface or to be used on a layout.

I was originally in favor of them including plastic track and building ties on it (and from a train fan having more track is always a good thing) but the building experience of completely brick built tracks is definitely a plus for their target audience (and the aesthetic look with no track connection overhanging the ends)

15 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

A4 Mallard in 2021!

Like others I was thinking the same thing- a great choice if done well, as well as any iconic US streamliner (many already mentioned in the thread)

16 hours ago, Phoxtane said:

I'd like a new locomotive every other year, with rail car packs released on the off years.

If it sells well enough, there MIGHT be a market for the train heads buying 5x copies of a car set (especially a 3 in 1) in the off years... but with the standard lego wheels that would be asking for trouble given how much friction they have. A lot of people would complain that their 10 car train will not even start or that the magnets are pulling apart in the curves.

In any event, I bet we'll see a ton of instructions/sets for compatible cars on the aftermarket.

16 hours ago, Toastie said:

However: If this set goes through the roof, sales-wise: Yes, I do.

Wish they had done it in dark green so that it would also be popular as a parts pack to non-train fans.

7 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Yes it's prepared for PU and will be added to the PU app.

In one of the interviews Jamie said something like, "and a clever builder should have no problem figuring out how to convert this to PF." Hopefully that means there's enough room in the cab to also fit the IR receiver in as well as the PF plug on top of the battery box, and maybe even an obvious spot to poke the sensor dome out of the top. (not for the expert builders who could hack that together no sweat, rather for the "just getting in to trains" builders)

3 hours ago, Bricks-on-Rails said:

the two noses are not big enough to place a motor and gearing.

In the side view I could have sworn that it looks like the noses are actually pitched downward, as if the mounting point was one plate high. We will see. Anyway, in terms of weight on the drivers, putting the motor in the cab makes a lot more sense in this design.

Why get one massive seemingly oversized train for maybe 90 bucks when you can get a buncha other cool cargo trains for a smaller price (I'm referring to 60198)?

19 minutes ago, mindstormsboi said:

Why get one massive seemingly oversized train for maybe 90 bucks when you can get a buncha other cool cargo trains for a smaller price (I'm referring to 60198)?

Because train and cars in 60198 are small and unrealistic.

Edited by zux

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

figuring out how to convert this to PF

Yes maybe we want to go further back and try to let it run on coal.

WOE would not want to have the thing running under control of BAP, Scratch or uPy?

40 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

I don't think many readers here will understand french.

You know if you paste a link into Google Translate it translates the entire page?  I don’t understand German, but there’s so much on LEGO in German on the web that I regularly use this.  It isn’t a problem.

I just read the review (translated to English) and though not about the actual train, there were two things I really noted.

Firstly, the two semicircles on the box to open it?  I thought that this was Expert type, and all sets would be sealed like on big sets.

Secondly, the reviewer points out that on the base, the ends are removable so you can add more track, implying more trains in the future.  This is very positive, so definitely shows continuation of this subtheme.  

Also, there was speculation a while back about how the red parts on the top of the cab were done.  They are part 88704 but brand new for this set in red.

Anyway @Anio thanks very much for the awesome in depth review!  Looking forward to it even more now that I’ve seen fan pictures rather than just the official ones.

Edited by Vilhelm22

25 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

I don't think many readers here will understand french.

It's just as well Chrome has an inbuilt translate function... :)

@Anio Thanks for the review, it's great! Seeing it for real instead of renders makes it look even better, and some of the little building techniques are cool. Have you had a chance to motorise it yet? Can you add that to the review?