mapimi

Lego 10277 - Crocodile Locomotive

1 minute ago, Coolusername said:

I think it's out of stock worldwide now :wacko:

Yes, looks like a great success for Lego for this set, or maybe the stock was very small...

Both of this.

Give it a week or two and prices will go over 200€ on ebay.

Edited by Coolusername

Hi there,

been a while since I posted here but this is a good occasion :-) This set was an auto-buy, I like trains and always loved the Crocodile locomotive. So I ordered it just after it became available and got it yesterday. We're about two thirds through the build, and it's very enjoyable so far. No set other than the Christmas stuff got that much attention from my family! There are many nice details and the way the model is put together from the different components seems very clever.

Looking forward to finishing the build tomorrow, adding the PoweredUp stuff (ordered the motor as well). Did anyone try to make a color sensor fit here, so the croc can auto-stop and reverse on color-indicated tracks?

Only downside is that I would have preferred the green one, probably unlikely that Lego will give us that one :-)

Let's hope this one sells, so we'll see more of these in the future. I'm doing my part :-)

Henning

16 minutes ago, henning47 said:

Let's hope this one sells, so we'll see more of these in the future. I'm doing my part :-)

IMHO If this set sells well we can be assured that Lego will bring us a lot more train sets in the future.

Quick remark on the power of the Crocodile... I have to admit that I'm quite impressed by the power of this engine. (And I shall add that I all my engines have conventional train motors so far, be it blue era 4.5V, gray era 12V, or power funcions train motors. I didn't have trains with M, L or XL motors before the Croco.)

I've done a bit of a load test yesterday. While my classical 12V engines start to have a hard time pulling more than 4 (long) cars, the 60052 engines pulls 6 cars. But the 10277 engine still manages to pull 12 cars (without any mods), a mix of new cars (60052), and old ones (7814, 7815, 7735, 725).

Edited by ps1flyer

Mine arrived yesterday, hopefully will have some time in the next 2 weeks to build it

I think we will get more "ucs" train sets in the future. Another reason for this might be because they made the ends of the display base "easy" removeable (i mean its lego you can remove what you want, but you know what i mean),

so we can put more of those together!?

Jang’s review is up for those who are interested.

Is this a problem others have had?

Edited by Vilhelm22

^^jang's review said it derailed on uneven track, or track that had odd combos of curves, straights. Has anyone else had this issue? Personally I believe it may be because the ball joints between sections allow for movement on all 3 axes, making the noses and pony trucks bouncy.

20 minutes ago, samsz_3 said:

^^jang's review said it derailed on uneven track, or track that had odd combos of curves, straights. Has anyone else had this issue? Personally I believe it may be because the ball joints between sections allow for movement on all 3 axes, making the noses and pony trucks bouncy.

I've seen some videos with this problem. And I agree with you.

But i'm sure it depends on the speed. So, use the brake before difficult sections of the track. My old H0 E44 tips over on high speed and tight curves.... :D

Having encountered this issue it seems to only be a problem with 9 volt tracks as the track joins on 9v interfer with the large wheels on the nose. This isnt an issue with the entirely plastic track as the joins between track peices are much smoother.

I fixed the issue by removing the red rubber bands on the unpowered large wheels which eliminates the problem.

I guess they producing sets like crazy? So i wonder if for someone the status gone from backorder to in warehouse yet?

35 minutes ago, Coolusername said:

I guess they producing sets like crazy? So i wonder if for someone the status gone from backorder to in warehouse yet?

I ordered two of these, half a day apart.  The first one will be here on Wednesday, but the second one states “Waiting for new stock” at the LEGO website order tracking. 
I guess I squeezed one through and then they ran out of them completely ?...

That might last for a month, just like the Lamborghini...

3 hours ago, SamLeCount said:

it seems to only be a problem with 9 volt tracks as the track joins on 9v interfer wit,h the large wheels on the nose

Exactly. 9V track problems when occur when there are rubber bands, but they are absolutely unnecessary, i.e. on unpowered trailing or - what is the other thing called in front - unpowered pivoting(???) wheels. Trailing is less of an issue, but as the Croc can go both forward and reverse at full speed, trailing is relative. Doing experiments right now.

Best,
Thorsten

11 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

Yes, I had this same problem. My main loop is 9v and it derailed like crazy on the curves, but I was going counter-clockwise around the 9v loop. I did not think of that now until after seeing the other posts, but I bet it would run better clockwise on 9v track, as per railbricks 7, the rail joints provide a climbing opportunity when going counter-clockwise. I'll go back and test it clockwise later

clockwork-rb7.jpg

I then tried it on a loop of plastic track with a lot fewer (but more than zero) problems. Ultimately it turned out that one of the small wheels on the axle pins was not pushed all the way on. It took a while for me to find this simple, stupid error. Still, I do not like the idea of pushing through two ball joints on essentially two single axles. It seems a little unstable.

I was glad I read the reviews and knew that I would not need the cab interior. I think they should put a warning at the start of the interior section to look ahead to the motorization. Had I not known, I would have been irked to build up the interior to then set it all aside.

All of my complaining aside, I must say, this is probably the best AFOL train set yet. The design is top notch. Lots of well thought out tricks: the way the driver flanges hide under the hood, the cab walls with door rails and tiles, and even the "I'm a set" features like the way the motor slides in and the interior for the non-motorized version (even if I think needs a warning label).

6 hours ago, Coolusername said:

Can't speak to the shipping stock, but I saw four on the shelf in store on Thursday. I went for the one Haunted House in stock. I'll probably pick this up in a month or two.

13 hours ago, TypoCorrecto said:

Can't speak to the shipping stock, but I saw four on the shelf in store on Thursday. I went for the one Haunted House in stock. I'll probably pick this up in a month or two.

I guess the ship a set as soon as it gets produced? Or do they produce a pile and then ship them. In this weird croco case!

Edited by Coolusername

In case anybody else still enjoys the old LDD Program, my lxf-file of set 10277 is posted here.

10277-1_crocodile_locomotive.png

So I’ve seen Jang’s video and was expecting the worst, but . . . I’m not really getting the derailing issue. I’m using Lego plastic track in a rough loop with some points, placed on the floor (as I don’t have a layout) and, even with some random curves thrown in, it’s not happening. It will if I try to take it full tilt through thrown points, but then so will most of my other trains... Is this a 9v track issue only (I don’t have any to test and haven’t had time to set up a 12v loop) or am I testing it wrong?

Edited by PeteM

6 hours ago, PeteM said:

So I’ve seen Jang’s video and was expecting the worst, but . . .

It is in part due to the 9v track and in part due to a stupid design flaw that is easily fixed. (BTW, after the fix, today I ran for over 30 min on 9v track without any derailing). You can see my short answer a few posts back in this thread right here. Or follow the link in that post to my own thread on modifying the set.

On 7/3/2020 at 8:46 PM, Coolusername said:

Give it a week or two and prices will go over 200€ on ebay.

Well one is already 300 euro on ebay LOL

Jang’s most recent video to explain his modifications.  Pretty similar to what others have done here.  He fixed the derailment problem!