mapimi

Lego 10277 - Crocodile Locomotive

Considering the possibility to connect multiple display-stands as shown in the review and what jamie berard said in his interview about the set think there is at least a high chance other train sets will come out. 

14 hours ago, Anio said:

Guys, if you want to have a look at the model, I did a review : http://www.techlug.fr/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&p=195920#p195920

Great review highlighting some aspects I did not know yet.

Yeah, Google Translate to the rescue though things might got lost in translation but hey.

Things I wondered about:

• Why the overcomplicated triangle shaped ends at the edges of the base?
  • How many of the pieces are used just for the (pretty) base and not the model?
  • The train is standing on bricks and not loosely on the tracks; which I have already seen somewhere else, but there was a guy asking for it here
  • The top edge of the rails themselves are not even and flat like in the pictures shown so far but have these small teeth which IMHO does not look too good
  • Are these rail parts recolors from ye olde times where there were blue toothes rails?
  • Poor red rubbers; I suspect whey won't like standing on these teeth for ages
  • Personally I wouldn't have minded the connecting clamps of the modern rails but then you wouldn't be able to sculpt the base in colors
  • Everything in this set is printed if I understood correctly - oh, wait, the plaque has a sticker... really?
  • Some color-barf inside but not too bad overall might allow some MOCs
  • Magnetic couplers
  • Nice catch with the white between the three parts of the train on the sticker :D
  • How bad are the gaps in reality? Do they offend much?

Nice review, thanks!

Edited by scooper22

@scooper22

They say plaque is not printed to avoid poor contrast of white printing on black parts.

Regarding the gaps, make your opinion with that picture.

14.JPG

The modification I would suggest :

200617022626831659.jpg

Sure, it might look better like this. But I am not sure the train is ok when it is moving on turning rails. Maybe the cabin slightly touch the 1x4 panels.

Now i know why the blind wheels are mid air! Because the whole model is placed on two bricks on the stand. If you remove those bricks all wheels should touch the rails. Or is it because of the rubber band?

Edited by Coolusername

On 6/16/2020 at 8:49 PM, Bricks-on-Rails said:

Obviously i couldn't recreate everything but i think it went out quite well.

This is cool, I don't suppose you could post some pics with brighter colors? Say blue or regular green?

I know they are realistic but dark colors are a bit drab to me

I must admit that I only got to know about the new set only 2 days ago. :blush: But what really surprised me is not only that we will have a new Expert (or Adult) train set again, but also something else. I have read through this topic, and I have not found any hint of a previous rumour that appeared here on EB. It was back when we were expecting a new train set after Horizon Express was phased out. Someone shared a rumour here (I am not 100% sure, but I think it was 1974), that the next Creator Expert train will be an old electric locomotive, similar to Crocodile, in brown colour. I can remember clearly, how excited I was to read this, and then how disappointed I was when nothing happened. It was a few years ago, could be in 2015 or 2016. Can anyone else here remember this rumour? :look:

Edited by ClassicTrains

On 6/16/2020 at 1:53 AM, Vilhelm22 said:

Yes!  Glad you share my opinion on these two trains.  Being British, both of these are from and are now preserved in my country.  I’ve seen both - two truly amazing trains with amazing histories.  Though you may not realise it, the Rocket is tiny - if made into a set I would want 2-3 L&MR carriages (they’re so small - can you call them coaches?) as well.

By the way @Murdoch17 somebody checked out the Crocodile in dark green (the other realistic colour) and unfortunately not all parts exist in that colour.  The 2x8x1 slope definitely doesn’t.  It’s a couple of pages back I think.

@legonerd54321 I doubt it as I’m pretty sure VIP would start sort of tomorrow.

Finished addressing other people, now me :)
I personally am completely hyped about this.  It’s now official and the new pictures make it look even more impressive!  And Jamie Berard’s message is definitely encouraging - I’m hoping for more famous trains in the future, though I don’t expect wagons or coaches, except possibly on a tiny Rocket type Era 1 locomotive.  Anyway, the best information I’ve heard in my 3 years on Eurobricks, and can’t wait for release.  I missed all 3 others, so this is my first Expert type train (I don’t count WHT or DT&S) - though I still need to pick up Sydney Opera House from Bricklink...

Vilhelm22

As for UK trains how about...

9F (Evening star)

MOC of 9F : Evening StarMOC of BR-standard-class 9F : Evening star

Or 4F tank

MOC of BR-standard-class 4T

I am sure Lego can make a better job than me 

6 hours ago, Anio said:

@scooper22

They say plaque is not printed to avoid poor contrast of white printing on black parts.

14.JPG

The modification I would suggest :

200617022626831659.jpg

Sure, it might look better like this. But I am not sure the train is ok when it is moving on turning rails. Maybe the cabin slightly touch the 1x4 panels.

It does work well, I have built it with the panels. But much simpler. Only the two panels each side plus 1x1 bricks with studs on one side and 1x1 bricks.

Here is the result - works on all rails, did not test junctions yet:

0B28C8F3-C387-42F8-8058-9C09E22051FD.jpeg

2B626A23-51CB-4CB3-B599-3C2F83A9DAFC.jpeg

24 minutes ago, ClassicTrains said:

I must admit that I only got to know about the new set only 2 days ago. :blush: But what really surprised me is not only that we will have a new Expert (or Adult) train set again, but also something else. I have read through this topic, and I have not found any hint of a previous rumour that appeared here on EB. It was back when we were expecting a new train set after Horizon Express was phased out. Someone shared a rumour here (I am not 100% sure, but I think it was 1974), that the next Creator Expert train will be an old electric locomotive, similar to Crocodile, in brown colour. I can remember clearly, how excited I was to read this, and then how disappointed I was when nothing happened. It was a few years ago, could be in 2015 or 2016. Can anyone else here remember this rumour? :look:

I have found the post (it's from 2014), and this can not necessarily be considered a rumour indeed... :blush:

Probably I was used to the fact that 1974 usually had quite reliable sources. But anyway, he has predicted it more or less, in 2014. :grin:

4 hours ago, Merlict said:

This is cool, I don't suppose you could post some pics with brighter colors? Say blue or regular green?

I know they are realistic but dark colors are a bit drab to me

Hey, ofcourse, here they come.

50015805823_3ef57e2100_k.jpg

7 hours ago, Anio said:

14.JPG

Great review. I completely see what you mean about the gaps for a display model. I like the 1x4 panel solution that both you and Dirk came up with for operation. And I appreciate your comments about the gap in terms of someone building the model for display. In this case the simplest display solution would be to fill them in with a brown 1x5x4 assembly that slides out for operation. All in all that seems like a big gap in many ways for Lego to have left, oh well.

2 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

@Bricks-on-Rails, those color schemes look awesome! I'm personally thinking about making a blue and red 1980's-style design (such as seen in this topic)... but I'm not sure how I'm gonna do the front / rear windows.

The window-panels for the front and the rear are available in blue, so it could be possible, if you switch red to the bottom and blue to the top.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=17454#T=S&C=7&O={"color":7,"iconly":0}

22 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Great review. I completely see what you mean about the gaps for a display model. I like the 1x4 panel solution that both you and Dirk came up with for operation. And I appreciate your comments about the gap in terms of someone building the model for display. In this case the simplest display solution would be to fill them in with a brown 1x5x4 assembly that slides out for operation. All in all that seems like a big gap in many ways for Lego to have left, oh well.

Maybe the gap is so large to allow the train to climb ramps without having to rebuild for the inclination?

Edited by scooper22

I think this was already mentioned, however, I want to remind people that they should probably order a PU Large Motor from bricklink before the price goes up. Lego has it listed for $40 USD. I ordered one from a U.S. seller for roughly $14 USD. I bought mine early before people notice the price that Lego is asking. While it will generally be cheaper to buy it from bricklink I could see sellers raising the price to $30 - $35. Just an FYI. I was hoping they would do a pre order so I could get an order in early as Lego sets seem scarce these days due to COVID.

Can't wait for July 1st to order mine

-RailCo

1 hour ago, Rail Co said:

I think this was already mentioned, however, I want to remind people that they should probably order a PU Large Motor from bricklink before the price goes up. Lego has it listed for $40 USD. I ordered one from a U.S. seller for roughly $14 USD. I bought mine early before people notice the price that Lego is asking. While it will generally be cheaper to buy it from bricklink I could see sellers raising the price to $30 - $35. Just an FYI. I was hoping they would do a pre order so I could get an order in early as Lego sets seem scarce these days due to COVID.

Can't wait for July 1st to order mine

-RailCo

To add to @Rail Co's PSA: Make sure you pick the "right" entry on BrickLink for both the Technic L motor (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=bb0959c01&idColor=85#T=S&C=85&O={"color":85,"ss":"US","rpp":"500","iconly":0}) and the PoweredUp hub (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=bb0892c01#T=S&C=1&O={"color":1,"ss":"US","rpp":"500","iconly":0}). The official set versions are also on BrickLink but cost about as much as on LEGO.com.

10277 is now officially on the LEGO S@H website.  The only unknown major price was GBP, and it’s £89.99 (which was expected).  It also says ‘Coming Soon on July 1st’ - this was basically confirmed but is now absolutely confirmed.  The video on S@H includes the crocodile motorised and moving at quite a slow speed.  You can also see that there’s 1 brick of space between the top of the PU hub and the roof - enough to fit a PF plug, meaning that the PU to PF conversion should be incredibly easy.

Edited by Vilhelm22

19 hours ago, Bricks-on-Rails said:

Hey, ofcourse, here they come.

Thank you, I think I'll go for plain green

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

10277 is now officially on the LEGO S@H website.  The only unknown major price was GBP, and it’s £89.99 (which was expected).  It also says ‘Coming Soon on July 1st’ - this was basically confirmed but is now absolutely confirmed.  The video on S@H includes the crocodile motorised and moving at quite a slow speed.  You can also see that there’s 1 brick of space between the top of the PU hub and the roof - enough to fit a PF plug, meaning that the PU to PF conversion should be incredibly easy.

Swapping to a PF battery box should be easy, yes, but I reckon the challenge is to fit also an IR receiver within that confined space.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:02 AM, Phil B said:

To add to @Rail Co's PSA: Make sure you pick the "right" entry on BrickLink for both the Technic L motor (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=bb0959c01&idColor=85#T=S&C=85&O={"color":85,"ss":"US","rpp":"500","iconly":0}) and the PoweredUp hub (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=bb0892c01#T=S&C=1&O={"color":1,"ss":"US","rpp":"500","iconly":0}). The official set versions are also on BrickLink but cost about as much as on LEGO.com.

Why are the brinklink prices of these PU elements relatively low with respect to the official prices at S@H?

2 minutes ago, Myowntrain said:

Why are the brinklink prices of these PU elements relatively low with respect to the official prices at S@H?

This is because the sellers on bricklink buy large quantities of sets at low price and sell the individual elements. For example they would buy the TopGear car which comes with expensive PU elements such as the Technic hub but as the set is so cheap they can sell the PU components at very low price.